More Than Meets The Eye!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by darkunor, Dec 21, 2010.

1. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Ever been bored, had any spare change and then decided to go online or were walking down a shopping aisle and saw a transformer you didn't really want or were kind of 50/50 about. Only to take it out of the packaging to realise it was infact one of your best purchases. This happened to me the other day when I bought henkei silverstreak and phwoarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Boy, is this guy's alt-mode is a thing of beauty, the robot mode is quite good as well, I just can't get enough of it and that's saying a lot considering TFX Protector in it's entire awesomeness arrived in the post the other day!

Are there any toys that have given you the sneak attack in this kind of way, please state?

2. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've a few, but cannot think most of them up right now, although the recent one is Generations Cybertronian Optimus Prime. I bought him as a sort of "consolation prize" and because he's Optimus. Little did I know how awesome he is! His transformation is really his shining point, and is quite intuitive without being annoying.

I'll post more if I can think them up...

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Universe Octane/Tankor, to be honest. I wasn't a member of this board at the time, nor did I know entirely what was out at the time for the Universe line (it was just the first two waves). I already had Sunstreaker and Prowl, and my only choices of what was on the pegs were Octane, Galvatron, and Acid Storm. I think I went away with the right pick.

Hell, I went through and actually bought the Henkei release too. That's how much I don't hate that figure.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    not really, i don't impulse buy much, tomahawk was one, but he didn't wow me really, just another tf on the shelf lol

5. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I got the Animated Sons of Cybertron set entirely for Crystal Rodimus. Then I started fiddling with Optimus (never bought the earth-mode deluxe version before) ...and I'll be damned if he isn't a pretty cool toy.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Happened to me recently with Thunderwing. I was iffy on the figure and only grabbed it because it was on sale. Once I got him open, though, I was constantly fiddling with him for the next several days. I still find him an incredibly fun toy - possibly the most fun Transformer I've picked up all year.

7. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

In terms of recent purchases, Terradive surprised me, big-time. I only bought him because he was on sale and because I was picking up Tomahawk and figured I'd get his "foe". I keep taking him down from the shelf and fiddling with him, transforming, reposing him. I quite like that figure.

8. JetsAndHeels

JetsAndHeels Banned

HFTD Rescue Ratchet. Not only do the colors look so much better than the ROTF NEST version, but for me it transformed better and feels much more solid this time around.

9. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Terradive for me too

10. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

This happens plenty for me. Best example coming to mind was ROTF Brawn. I was iffy about him due to the reviews about him being a shell former and scrawny but in hand i found him so much fun.

11. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

ROTF Tomahawk. I was not expecting what turned out to basically be a great Generations figure in the HFTD line. I'm leaning towards calling him Chaingun, though.

12. Mr.ToyFan

Mr.ToyFan Well-Known Member

I don't dislike Octane either...in fact when you position his soldiers correctly, I love him.

13. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    Animated Oilslick, got him on clearance from Sears after Christmas for like 4$ and was blown away by him. I don't buy too much that I don't think I will like though, unless it is way marked down.

14. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    oddly enough, ROFT leader prime. I hadn't read one thing about it, I didn't/don't collect the new movie lines at all. This one seamed so close the on screen one I thought it would be fun to check out, maybe even "rent" it from walmart. Then I transformed it, again and again. I was so impressed. It felt like a masterpiece (comparing to that line yes) Then I looked up others responses online and saw the ground swell was getting pretty huge, and I think deservedly so.

15. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    TFTM Dropkick. Pretty kick ass.

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had almost your exact experience with Generations Red Alert. It hooked me on the Lambo mold, now I'm getting all of its mass release incarnations. Already got Sideswipe.

Somehow, a mold that always seemed boring to me in pics was great in hand, what with the different ways to pose the accessories, the banging headsculpt, and the fun transformation. Plus it's a Lamborgini...reminded me how much I liked that car when I was a kid.

17. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Animated Oil Slick. Got him on sale (but for more than $4!) only because I needed a rival for Rodimus and I happened to find him locally. Yes, the transformation is simplistic, but he just oozes personality. A very pleasant surprise.

18. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

I would have to go with the recent Battle Blade Bumblebee.
    After years of "I swear to god, I will never buy another movie 'bee" I pulled the trigger on this one. As mentioned in the OP, I was bored, hadn't bought any new figures in a while, and BBBB was the only one I hadn't picked up.
    Once I got him home, and transformed, I was amazed. To my eye, everything was right about him, and it was everything I ever wanted in a deluxe sized BB. Every other deluxe movie BB in my collection was instantly written off as possible parts fodder the moment this figure took a spot in my display.
    With HABB, I knew I was getting an awesome figure, but with this particualr deluxe I was TRULY suprised.
    I will never buy another deluxe movie BB...this year...

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    There's been a lot of this lately for me. Most of the toys already mentioned, but my biggest one was ROTF Lockdown.