"More Than Meets the Eye" original airdate?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nevermore, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    All the online sources I checked list the original airdates for the G1 cartoon pilot as September 17-19, 1984.

Is this confirmed to be the ORIGINAL airdate or just the date when the cartoon was aired as part of season 1?

I'm asking because there's a rather huge gap between the release of the first Marvel issue (April) and the first toys (May) and the presumed first airing of the cartoon pilot.

Does anyone know?

2. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

All of the sources I've seen point to the same date range. Plus, I seem to recall seeing kids with TF toys long before seeing the cartoon back in '84. I know, 22 year old memories of an 8 year old kid don't exactly constitute a "reliable source". Wish I could be of more help. I'll look around a bit.

EDIT: You've probably already seen this information:

http://epguides.com/Transformers/

http://www.decepticon-matrix.com/epslist.html

3. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    You've probably seen this too, but here it is anyway.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086817/releaseinfo

They also list the first regular season ep, "Transport to Oblivion," as airing in October 84, so the September dates make sense.

4. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Hold on a minute....we've got Nevermore asking for our help? :sly: 

5. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I remember reading that the toys were out in the US on May and the TV Series in September. Hope this helps.

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I always thought that the show, being in syndication, didn't have a proper original airdate. It would have premiered in different markets at different times. Probably within a week or two of each other, but not necessarily the same date everywhere.

7. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

1- 1 700-01 6 Oct 84 Transport to Oblivion
    1- 2 700-02 13 Oct 84 Roll for It
    1- 3 700-03 20 Oct 84 Divide and Conquer
    1- 4 700-05 27 Oct 84 S.O.S. Dinobots
    1- 5 700-08 3 Nov 84 The Ultimate Doom: Brainwash (1)
    1- 6 700-09 10 Nov 84 The Ultimate Doom: Search (2)
    1- 7 700-10 17 Nov 84 The Ultimate Doom: Revival (3)
    1- 8 700-07 24 Nov 84 War of the Dinobots
    1- 9 700-11 1 Dec 84 Countdown to Extinction
    1-10 700-04 8 Dec 84 Fire in the Sky
    1-11 700-13 15 Dec 84 Heavy Metal War
    1-12 700-06 22 Dec 84 Fire on the Mountain
    1-13 700-12 29 Dec 84 A Plague of Insecticons

I don't know about the other markets... but locally the season episodes aired in order here. Acording to this list the episodes played out of order. Heavy Metal War was indeed the last new episode that aired from season one. I mean I remeber that quite well.

The other thing that bothers me about this release schedual... as I recall.... they weren't always new episodes each weekend. There would be a few weeks of new eps., then there would be some reruns. The clearest example (from memory) being a long gap between "plague of insecticons" and "heavy metal war". It was a month or more.... because the orignal three "mtmte" episodes were aired again + one or two more.

I've noticed some other wonky release dates...

Ewoks and Droids (star wars cartoons) are listed as Sept 7 1985
    The Mighty Orbots (cartoon) listed as Sept 8 1984

I know for a fact these three shows started airing together the same day on ABC. Not to mention that I distinctly remeber Orbots being out long before I ever saw anything on Transformers. Which means it should have aired Sept of 1983... not 84 which would have put it practicly on the same original air date as MTMTE. Not a chance.

8. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I specifically remember seeing the toys (Optimus Prime in particular) many months before the cartoon came out. As a dumbass child, I though that robot-vehicles looked stupid...Knight Rider was SO much cooler. A few months later I saw the cartoon, got Jetfire and changed my opinion. :) 

In my defense, I always thought Go-Bots sucked. ;) 

9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I remember MTMTE airing well before (in kid time) season 1 started

10. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I think it aired in my area sometime during the summer, MTME only, but the episodes did not start untill the fall, as an "After school Cartoon" on the local affiliate that would later become the local fox channel.

11. JesusChrysler

JesusChrysler i got robotz

The Transformers Generations Book has the first episode aired as July 6th 1985, but that sounds like Japan only. Toys first - teevee show last.

J.C.

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hmm. i once asked a related question: which came first, the comics or cartoon?

13. Victory Leo

Victory Leo Well-Known Member

All depends on how you inter

Looking at the dates, I found Sept 17 1984 as the date for the first episode airing. The first issue of Transformers is September of 1984. However, all comics have dates that are actually anywhere from 2 to 3 months ahead of when they actually ship so Transformer actually probably came out in June. The comic probably hit first. However, the concepts of the animated series were produced first. So in the end ... your call.

Although the ideas for the comics probably came first as they were the ideas the toys were based on.

Victory Leo

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    that discussion was actually resolved to an extent. it was agreed that the productions would run concurrent due to lead times, but marvel comics would of course have a lead due to them developing the concept/backstory and all. the cartoon would change details accordingly to suit their format.

15. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The first comic came out in May, maybe even April.

There is a usenet post dating from May 1984 that mentions the first issue of the comic, so it can certainly not have come out after that.

http://groups.google.com/group/net.comics/msg/1cdaf7df610e0376?dmode=source&hl=en

The first toys supposedly came out in May, according to internal Hasbro paperwork from the following year.

http://www.geocities.com/soxerboxx5/bc05/tfpage1.JPG
    http://www.geocities.com/soxerboxx5/bc05/tfpage2.JPG

Hasbro's own site claims that the Minicars came first.

16. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Wow... the Internet has not changed at all in 23 years. That's kinda scary.

I'm actually flabbergasted at just how much that sounds like something someone would have posted if that first issue had come out today. I figured people were easier to please back then. The dude even complained about shelling out 75 cents for it. I half expected him to launch into a string of OMG WTF STFU n00b and whatnot. The guy used proper grammar, though, so I suppose that aspect degenerated when people under 15 started using computers.

17. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I like how he posted his full name and home address at the bottom. Clearly identity fraud on the internet wasn't such a big deal in 1984.

18. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I distinctly remember MTMTE pre-empting He-Man in my area more than once and long before the season started airing. I am wanting to say that it was early '84 (probably around March or April) because I remember it being warm outside and I would come in to watch He-Man (my favorite show at the time) and MTMTE came on instead. The pre-emption would last 3 days, then He-Man came back on it that time slot. It wasn't till some time later that TF was added in around that time and GI Joe came on right after it.