More Than Meets The Eye #43

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Starscream Gaga, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    There's also a rapidly decaying Ratchet managing to create a holo-avatar sticking out of a wall that caught a vial dropping from a building, while it was out of Ratchet's sight, whilst he was focussing on Pharma. In fact, re-reading the scene, Ratchet was actually getting pummelled by Pharma at the time he should be focussing on the holo-avatar.

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Yes that is what I was referring to.

3. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Ah, OK! I thought you were talking about when he tackled Pharma on the roof prior to that event.

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kind of an all-encompassing event to me I guess. :lol 

Honestly I think my biggest problem with Swearth is actually that it was beamed totally through the ship and the various shielding it has. When you have "penetrate any and all materials" on the laundry list it does start to transcend a simple holodeck-style handwave.

At least the ship doesn't carry an atmosphere, so we could say poor maintenance actually opened a path to the outside? Cause Ratchet and Ironhide clearly couldn't penetrate solid material to rescue Verity and Jimmy.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I still say that if we have to dance around the issue this much, making excuses or hypotheses to cover for the story decisions, that alone sort of points to the problem.

Avatars are unbalanced, overpowered, and seem to be subject only to limitations of convenience or contrivance. I just can't get around that nagging reality.

zmog

6. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I'm going to outright assume that, briefcase shenanigans aside, there's more restrictions than we know, even if it isn't directly addressed, and the briefcase blew past many of them.

7. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haha. I clicked in the comics forum to see if there was any hint of an upcoming preview of 44, saw this thread was still going, and was just like "Oh man. They're still at it? Yikes."

8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Yeah. Everytime. And seldom that anyone adds something useful, insightful or interesting. Just how they don't like it over and over... duh.

9. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Before Megatron joined, MtMtE was a Transformerized space opera filled with cross-cultural references and the occasional villain or battle.

After Megatron joined, MtMtE has become a space opera filled with cross-cultural references.

10. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I admit I love the scenes between Megatron and Rodimus. I never seen Megatron face palm every time he has to deal with Rodimus. "I was a Decepticon Leader and how I can not beat the Autobots especially if Rodimus considered command material." It just makes me laugh.

11. SMOG

The problem is that there is nothing indicating that there are any significant restrictions... nobody has cared to really develop any of those aspects; hence, they are only restrictions of convenience, and what we HAVE seen of them is already grossly over-the-top.

Using the briefcase to blow past some of the limitations is already a really painfully obvious plot device (hence "lampshading")... but here's the issue. "Lampshading" doesn't fix a problem. It's not witty. Telling someone up front that this is just a plot device, "so don't question it" is supremely lazy storytelling.

This is basically giving up on even the tacit conceit of weaving a credible story around your plot. Storytelling is not just content/message. There's a reason fables aren't just the moral, with no surrounding colour. Immersion, world-building, etc... that's not just a disposable container format for meaning. It's the craft that is involved in the presentation of your ideas that engages your audience, and it's very important not to dismiss that in too cavalier a fashion. For me, this issue is where Roberts really crossed several of those lines.

Er... no. Basically someone says something which reignites discussion, and then someone else decides to reply, positive or negative... y'know... like you just did. Congrats for keeping it going.

Taking sidelong shots at other people for not measuring up to your standards of usefulness, insight, or interest is pretty lame, dude. This thread is a simple forum where people can voice their opinions about a Transformers comic. It's under no obligation to stimulate or entertain you. If all you've got is passive-aggressive commentary, maybe you should keep it to yourself. At least negativity about the issue is on-topic. :inquisiti 

I think that random bitching about IDW, Roberts, Hasbro, whatever cartoon or toy... that's all fair game. As soon as you start dissing your fellow fans, I feel that it crosses a line.
    zmog

12. SMOG

For a whole bunch of reasons, I really like having Megatron on board. I think his transition period from "space tyrant" to "brooding redemption-seeker" on the Lost Light was really truncated, so it was jarring at first, but I do like seeing him in these kinds of situations.

Though, I do think he's sometimes in danger of becoming too much of a straight-man for Rodimus. At times, it feels like he's just stepping into Ultra Magnus' role.

zmog

13. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think once season 3 progresses the focus will be less problematic of stepping Ultra Magnus' role. I am commenting on the visual not so much of the story line. Season 2 Ultra Magnus took to the background. I would like to see more interaction with Megatron and Ultra Magnus to show difference of them.

14. Achilles1943

Achilles1943 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    quick question...

issue 44 releases today (august 26) right ?!

15. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I don't think so but I am unsure.

Comiclist doesn't list it.

16. Achilles1943

Achilles1943 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    a little weird, since it is the last Wednesday of the mouth...

anything else coming out ?! RID for example?

17. SMOG

Yeah, that's what I mean though... in Season 2, Megatron sort of took over the position of "straight man to Rodimus and the antics of the crew". I have a feeling that in Season 3, Megs' personal goals will become more defined, for good or for ill.

zmog

18. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

The RiD cartoon-based comic, yea, #2 comes out.

None in the IDW main continuity.

19. Faizan

Faizan 2 of 12

2nd September for MTMTE :mad: 

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Oh, totally forgot about this. But yeah, Mail from comixology last week did not include Transformers for this week :(