More Than Meets The Eye #43

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Starscream Gaga, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Out on iTunes Australia.

It was an OK read. Definitely one of the weaker issues, a constant stream of references to pop culture and sometimes it felt that nearly every second line was lamp-shading, but outside from those things, it had some decent character development for Swerve, Cyclonus got some good dialogue and it ended on a good cliffhanger for what I hope will be a far better storyline. 41-43 have undoubtedly been the weakest issues of MTMTE, but the DJD plot-line looks very promising so hopefully Roberts has got the "quirkiness" out of his system with these three issues and we can go back to what makes MTMTE the best Transformers comic ever, which is when the "quirkiness" and, yes, self-indulgence is balanced and not the most dominant part of the book.

I don't recommend skipping it, as it wasn't a bad story at all despite my personal distaste for some of the elements and even at MTMTE's worst (41-43) I still personally think its the best Transformers comic series ever, its just MTMTE has a really high standard so its noticeable when it isn't reached.

If you do read it, here's a lightning summary:

Swerve as been dying of an unknown illness is his suite and has been using a holo-avatar of himself to work while he dies alone. Due to opening the briefcase during Remain in Light (weak payoff for one of the mysteries I was really interested in from the prose story, tbh) he is able to super-power his holo-avatars through sci-fi jibber-jabber and has made a holo Earth. Eventually the group finds Swerve, who has escaped into this sitcom world due to depression caused by how things have changed since Megatron arrived and how he feels forgotten about, but Skids makes Swerve realise his worth when he points out that every single member of the Lost Light is on the holo-Earth searching for him. First Aid and Velocity fix him and First Aid heads for Cybertron for Combiner Wars. However, on his way he contacts Velocity after he realises that Swerve's illness was caused from Swerve not treating a wound in the past properly... A wound caused by Agent 113! The issue ends as Velocity discovers a bullet where Swerve once had an Autobot insignia.

2. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Thanks for the light summary!

Really looking forward to reading this issue.

3. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Well-Known Member

Swerve has that power?
    I am now hoping Roberts use that in their battle against DJD+Deathsaurus' combiner squads

4. 00raiser956

00raiser956 Galaxy Convoy

Ebay:
    Just finished the issue loved it and Megatron and Hot Rod's holomatter looked awesome. Hopefully the next issue doesn't get delayed I can't wait

5. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Superb issue.

"Not weak ... fragile"

6. Parasidian

Parasidian Garrus-1 Warden

News Credits:
    I was a bit skeptical at first but as i read it grew more and more on me. In the end it was a great touching story about friends and how they always have your back.

Also that ending! Here's hoping that the big reveal of
    who Agent 113 truly is
    is very near.

7. Digilaut

Digilaut I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

News Credits:
    Slightly better than the last two issues, still unsure.
    I get what James tried to do but I don't feel it works. It seems he's constantly making tongue-in-cheek jokes about the fanbase - at one point even hinting at the book maybe 'jumping the shark, but people still sticking around, too afraid to miss something important'. :eek: 

Oh, Megatron's
    holomatter is reflecting his psyche, and he carries a walking stick with a Con symbol on it. He quickly deletes it before people notice.

8. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Just finished the issue, it was a cute story. :)  I'm looking forward to see where the story leads.

The pop-culture references were amusing (despite instinctively rolling my eyes at the mention of "Mansplaining".) I feel sorry for Bluestreak having to wade through all of humanity's blights and failures. :lol 

9. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    The constant self-awareness irked me a bit too. Poking fun at how ludicrous this and the parasites were in-story doesn't actually make the issues any better, to be honest. One or two jokes is funny, but it was quite constant throughout the issue. It's like the references; I love Community and Arrested Development and clever references, such as Magnus' video editing back in the final chapter of Season One, or Brainstorm and Nautica's first exchange in Season Two are awesome, but lately there's just been too many references and homages to stuff Roberts like and quite frankly its distracting and annoying. Skids' holo-avatar, Swerve's Commuity rant (which I agree with but NOT THE PLACE) and the "indie dance party" being what tips the scales for me from "cute/funny" to "irritating"

But "bwahaha" of course you'd hate the mention of "mansplaining", Nova! :lol  That just became my favourite part of the issue!

10. TURBODERP

TURBODERP Member

I like this issue. It's not a "WOAH MIND BLOWN" issue but for me at least, it's setting the pace and getting things back on track in terms of how MTME should feel (again, for me).

Definitely curious about who the DJD mole is though.

11. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Strange, I'm subscribed but had to buy it manually. Will read it now.

12. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've just been and checked and I can't find any point in MTMTE when Swerve does have an Autobot badge on his shoulder. So the bullet has been in there a long time!

13. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Had to do the same thing. Hope I don't get double charged or something.

14. Zenstrive

Rodimus avatar will soon be my avatar :D 

15. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    https://soundcloud.com/raelien/where-ten-can-t-even-say-your-name

Read the 'credits' while listening to it and they actually align :D 

In context - I didn't think much of #41-42 and, all told, I thought the Hedonia issue was just alright. I hate Cheers. I hate most sitcoms in fact.

I LOVED this issue.

I don't know how it does it, but it manages to be stupid, funny, moving, tragic and awesome at the same time. That's not including the full-MTMTE-power ending.

SPOILERS.

There are a ton of easter eggs and sitcom references. An IDW sign over Rodimus's head at some point. Lots of James Roberts trolling his readers.

For the avatars, have talked about Cyclonus (I like the outfit even more in the interiors), Rodimus is an 80s posterchild, wearing his own licensed tshirt (of course he is) and Marty McFly's vest? I can't say I love that avatar, but it's an improvement to the Earth one. Tailgate's insignia --> *_* and he's grown a bit, bless. Bluestreak is great. The Doctor gag with Skids is fun, but definitely something in the choice of Ninth Doctor and the regression from Eleventh. We're possibly getting closer to the cause of the suppressed memories. If as suspected this has something to do with the DJD it would all tie in. Nautica is EXACTLY like Nautica. What you see is what you get. Nightbeat is Nightbeat and I'm kind of glad we didn't go for the Sherlock look. Megatron is fucking amazing. No complaints at all.

I don't know who two thirds of the Swerve trinity are. One is Father Ted. No clue about Sheldon and Jerry (who I thought was Jack Black's character in Community at first).

"Eh, that's what happens normally" :lol 

Sounds as if page #1 is missing. How does that work in print if the first two pages are a spread? There was meant to be a close-up of MTMTE #1 (at a guess, from Tailgate's perspective, while holding it?). It was going to be another bonus page. The issue is supposed to be 24 pages in total (the 20 standard + 4 freebies). In digital I count 23.

OK, so Agent 113! Finally. If I remember right, Swerve first complains about his old injury acting up in #29 while holding his shoulder. Having checked the wiki, it's also mentioned in The Sound of Breaking Glass. Red Alert says the infection started years ago. Swerve was on Kimia with Ironfist. We know he once saw the DJD in action, presumably at some point before that. Time to re-re-read.

Can't wait for things to start coming together this season.

16. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    He's shown with Ironfist so yeah, long time. At least before LSotW took place.

17. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Yeah, though I did wonder if that was also a way to say things are taking a turn in story. Maybe reading too much into it though.
    Yep, same.

18. Zenstrive

I think Sheldon is Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory mixed with the doctor from Scrub, and Jerry I think is Jerry Seinfield mixed with someone hairy and short....

19. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Hated this issues except for the last 2 pages. Sitcomland did not work at all; it was nothing more than a convoluted effort to show off more Holomatter avatars. James could have easily accomplished all his story beats in a better manner. This should not have made it beyond a story treatment. What, was John Barber sick for a week or something?

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Woah, that was awesome! :O

I mean, first it was just cool to see them that way, especially Megs, but then in the end it has meaning. Guys, we're heading straight forward to meeting the DJD.