More Than Meets The Eye #3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Cause everyone will be like "Why is it called 'Puzzles'?"

2. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    poor Rung, you think his just-set-up models survived the Sparkeater's entrance?

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Models? Looked like it. Door? Not so much.

4. Wadeledge

Wadeledge Wrecker

that's the puzzle!!!

5. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    So why was Rung the "brightest spark"? Did I miss something?

I thought it would be Rodimus from his merger with the matrix.... but I guess not.

6. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    That's what Rodimus thought as well, and probably why (that and his MASSIVE ego)

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Pretty great, overall. I still have a few minor complaints but I'm actually very pleased with the both the new series. Unlike the previous creative team, Roberts really seems to know every bot in every scene, and why they're there, and how they would respond to a given scenario.... and that's great.

On the other hand, if only he could specialize the smart-ass dialog just a bit more so all the wisecracks don't sound like they're coming from one hive-mind. :) 

Agreed on both points. I actually had to stop and really drink in the "memory reading" page. I found the approach to inking and finishing of the linework really beautiful. I'd like to see a whole book done that way.

I had the exact same thought. Where's Grapple? Of course maybe that's why Hoist was giving Cyclonus and Tailgate the look; in their tender moment, it was making Hoist think of Grapple and their love that dares not speak its name. :lol 

Not so sure about that. Bartenders are supposed to be good listeners... not talkers. :) 

I still have a problem with it. Even if he lampshades it at the end of the issue, it's still a pretty awkward way of shoving one more "maverick badass" into the series. We don't need another Hot Rod (or Cliffjumper, or Sideswipe, or Powerglide, or AirRaid or any other devil-may-care rebels)... it's sort of tiresome. And we just went through the whole "mild-mannered academic becomes super-warrior" thing with Perceptor (which also sucked). So far, this Skids thing... I'm just not buying it. It seems like an unnecessary revision of a character that could have ALSO been written interestingly in ways that stick to his original persona.

Hmmmm...

Or does this suggest that at one early point in the war, Sideswipe and Sunstreaker might have been Cons? I think that's also a credible possibility.

Well, I guess Cyclonus wasn't around for the war either, so he doesn't necessarily have a very good grasp of what happened himself. It does throw the whole idea of "rebels" always being depicted as the good guys into a new light.

Page 16
    -TURBOFOXES!!! I knew it had to happen some day! Figures Roberts would be the one. Ok, they're just drawn as the usual sort of robotic foxes, which isn't really surprising (I still like my design better ;)  ) but it's just really great to see the first ever mentioned Cybertronic fauna get its first visual depiction. I feel like the Bestiary should host a celebration or something. ;) 
    It was nice to finally see some Turbofoxes, though I agree with your disappointment over their design. I kind of like yours better.

But where did NAILs get Turbofoxes anyway? Were they "breeding" them off-planet? I mean, since the NAIL populace was off-Cybertron and all...

And why is Drift posing as if he'd just killed a Turbofox with his sword?

I'm still wondering why Skids gets a grappling hook.

Oh wait. I forgot. Because he's teh awesome. :rolleyes2 

Yeah, I'm actually starting to like him. Almost. His name is still "Rodimus" though, and I'll never get over that.

I wondered the same thing for a moment, but in the end, I think it was just because the Sparkeater was already fixated on Rung.

I have exactly the same problem. I get those two mixed up constantly. Always have.

zmog

8. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    But, if fixated on Rung, why did he try to eat Rodimus once Rung was tossed to the side. Rung, at that moment, was closer to the Sparkeater than he was when Brainstorm was right there. I suppose it could be nothing.

OR I'll get to say "I told ya so!"

9. SMOG

Uh... actually Rodimus grabbed HIM. Obviously he's going to try to eat the guy who's directly grappling with him. :) 

zmog

10. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I'd like to comment on Milne's artwork.

It's transitioned so smoothly from Roche to Milne that I don't even notice that Roche isn't drawing it anymore. Milne is doing an AMAZING job on this comic, and he should be incredibly proud of his artwork.

I love this comic. Absolutely love. ROBOTS IN DISGUISE pales in comparison in my opinion.

11. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Yeah, I know. But just in case, I intend to practice my "I told ya so"s :D 

I would like to second both of these thoughts. I wasnt a big fan of Milne's work that I'd seen before-Megatron Origins, for me... well i had trouble telling robot apart from background stuff. So when I heard Roche was gone, I was kinda sad, given that I liked the look of what he had drawn. Imagine how hard he knocked my socks off when I picked up MTMTE 2. Absolutely incredible stuff, he's fantastic. Now the only time i have trouble telling robot apart from background stuff was with Ore :p 

And yes. RID is inferior. So far. Though thats more than just art. Roberts is great with the story.

Lucky me-Roberts is my fav for story, Roche is my fav for design. LSoTW is one of my most prized possessions. so with the style copy, MTMTW is easily right up there with LSoTW.

12. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do understand. That scene at the end where Rodimus has just pulled off his "plan" as it were and Rod, Drift, and Skids are sharing a panel did feel a little like "young action hero overload." Not that they don't have unique qualities but they're rather varients on a type. Well Rod and this Skids, Drift used to be but went flaky (and is more fun for it)

It doesn't bother me too much I think, because it's pretty clear that Skid's situation is something of a simmering plot line. It's because of something specific we don't know yet and is certainly leading somewhere. So it's not just a change that's done with, but a dynamic situation he's going through. I'm willing to see where it goes. I would like to see a more traditional thoughtful daydreaming achedemic Skids return or be flashed back to at some point, but the lamp shading in the scenes with Swerve here were enough to get me by for now.

I could be wrong, can't check right now, but aren't they wearing Elite Guard sigils? That says police to me.

True. In most genre fiction Meg's group would have been heroes. It's a nice twist really that should be investigated more.

Thanks. :)  I can't really be too disappointed with the design since "metal earth animal" is a long standing and widespread aesthetic for this sort of thing in TF fiction. I just like imagining Cybertronian animals as just a little bit more unique and different that that. But still, not knocking Milne it's a cool design from what I can see in that mode.

I would assume so. The Velocitronians took robochickens after all. (Dear Primus, autocorrect insisted on trying to make that "robot hickeys" :p  )

I think the idea is supposed to be that he scooped up some of a corpse with the sword to examine it without touching but, yeah, the way the head is on the sword looks like he skewered it which reads a bit odd.

-ZacWilliam, wishes they would find a pen full of live Turbofoxes they were feeding the beast from, and the crew could keep them as pets. Or start a petting zoo I guess. ;) 

13. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I agree: Milne is an awesome artist and so versatile. His output is astounding and he has embraced the style and tone of the book very well. As much as I love artists that put their own stamp, vision and style into a book, there needs to be strong a editorial control for continuity. This consistency in art style helps add to the story.

As for MTMTE vs RID, its WAY too early to tell. They are different animals and I love both right now. MTMTE is a wonderful adventure with characterization. RID is harder to pull off, with an intricate political plot and is story driven. I think they have broken down the key elements of Transformers and divided them very nicely for these two books.

Throw in the ongoing Marvel series for Prime, Grimlock and Megs action - albeit in a parallel world - and that's a pretty good months worth of TF comics and stories!! Thank you IDW!!

14. SMOG

I agree. I'm really enjoying both titles right now, and appreciating what each one is doing differently. I consider both to be worthy directions and a pleasant change from some of what was happening before. The fact that we get 2 great series like this running simultaneously is fantastic.

I'm not sure if Drift ever really should have fallen into the "young action hero" mold... but in any case, I definitely like the new-age spiritual vibe he has going now. Like anyone who has left bad stuff behind by embracing a new faith or philosophy, he has that slightly fanatical or flaky edge that is just about perfect. :) 
    I get that, but at the moment, I'm having trouble really accepting his memory loss/self-reinvention thing... at least as far as it's supported by his subplot. Hopefully, it will all seem natural and not forced, but I'm doubtful.

I think it would be interesting to see how a daydreaming theoretician translates into a dynamic action hero, how he can apply his intellect and theoretical ingenuity to combat situations. After all, he's only lost a 6-month block of his memory, so he KNOWS who he used to be. But that doesn't explain how he's so good at being who he WANTS to be now.

I didn't notice that. Maybe?

Though arguably, Senatorial Cybertron was really no more corrupt than our current world order and informal but rigid class structure. I guess the question is what direction reform should take, and where the society goes after that. Cyclonus left out conspicuous details about the actual ideology of each side... especially the manifest destiny of the Decepticons, which expands far beyond reforms to Cybertronian society/culture. It seems weird that Tailgate wouldn't get that. You'd think Ratchet would be able to set him straight on a few details while he's got him lying there, but that would undercut the drama of his moment. Maybe Tailgate puts too much trust in the only familiar face around him.

I dunno... I don't find that Milne's design has much to distinguish it. I love Milne's art, but I find as a character designer he tends to be a bit of a one-trick pony. His characters often look the same, with lots of conspicuous flairs, flanges, and fins... and this Turbofox is pretty much the same thing. Robot fox, more pointy bits.

I think it misses some of the crucial mechanical aesthetic that makes Transformers (for me) what they are. Heck, even Zoids have a bit more of a unique aesthetic. What I like about your design is that it abstracts the concept of a "fox" and combines it visually with a rocket, which is somehow how I always pictured them myself. I'm fine with the idea that Cybertronian fauna resembles Earth fauna to some extent (obviously TFs look like humans too), but I think we should always step back one or two degrees from a really literal interpretation of a "robot animal" in order to create something more unique and special.

I suspect it might be one of those art/script gaps. Like the script explained the panel in such a way that Milne might have been confused as to whether Rodimus and Drift had actually been attacked by live Turbofoxes, so he drew that kind of aftermath. You occasionally notice stuff like that where there are small inconsistencies between script and image.

So they've got a bar and a petting zoo... is this a recreational cruise liner? :) 

zmog

15. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Sideswipe's got a sigil on his shoulder that looks like an amalgamation of a couple different things. You could certainly see some Decepticon horns and Elite Guard wings in there, but being there're no other details and its flat white with black outline; I'm going to go with police badge.

I'm excited by
    Black Shadow's
    appearance on the montage page. When his only other appearance in IDW fiction was also in a work of Roberts', I don't believe that's a coincidence. I hope we'll be seeing him in the future -- and boy, is he sure looking a lot like his most recent toy. The consequences of that could be very interesting, given the character he shares a mold with and how they've shaped events in the IDW-verse's past.

16. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know if anyone's twigged yet, but the Sparkeater is after the brightest spark, ie. cleverest, and Rung is a very bright spark. I don't think there's anything deeper in it than a clever pun by Roberts.

Just don't tell Brainstorm :p 

Oh, and where have people seen Black Shadow and Xaaron? Granted I've only read it on my phone, but I can't see them anywhere.

17. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think of a possible situation where one of the foxes would be half-dead and Drift might have killed it out of mercy... but having your spark ripped out and eaten is kind of a stark alive or dead situation, isn't it? :p  But it is interesting that turbofoxes have a spark very similar to a TF, which implies that they're "genetically" related through evolution or the same creators or whatever. AFAIK in the TF universe, a spark is something that's specific to Cybertronian biology and not a part that shows up in every unrelated mechanical life form throughout the galaxy. So this links TF and Cybertronian wildlife in a more concrete way than just being two robotic species on the same planet.

And technically, shouldn't that be next to NOTHING for a TF? They live for millions of years, 6 months should be like ten minutes to them. Yet another example of why the extreme time range they've set up causes logic problems.

That's just one interpretation though...we're never told exactly what "brightest" means in this context. Clever is one possibility, but it also could mean pure-hearted or innocent. Rung could be the brightest because he naturally has a noble soul, or because he's the most innocent because he's a non-combatant who has never taken a life. Some quality about Rung was more "special" than everyone else, but we aren't told exactly what quality that is.

I mean, Rodimus automatically assumed *he* was the brightest spark, and though he has a significant ego, I'm sure he doesn't honestly believe he's the smartest bot on board when the likes of Brainstorm and Perceptor are around.

:lol  I approve.

18. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    It's the one I'm going with though, one because I like puns, and two so I can be surprised when Rung turns out to be a Knight of Cybertron or something like that :D 

19. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Black Shadow is on the montage page, where Cyclonus is describing the war to Tailgate. Look towards the end of the longrifle that Megatron is holding.

Xaaron is on page 7, in the first panel immediately following the title of the book. He's on the group shot of bots on the lower deck, look directly next to Rodimus' right arm.

20. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Skids is missing 2 chunks of memory. the last 6 months, and a much larger chunk from a long time ago.