More than Meets the Eye #21 Discussion/Spoilers and Preview Pics

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by VRDUBZAK, Sep 21, 2013.

1. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

Exactly. Tailgate wasn't stabbed through the spark. Cyclonus excess energy from being re energized from vector sigma just went into tailgate.

2. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    And I think that's the big problem. Transformers themselves are mechanical. They run differently. So what hurts them can also help them. I think because I'm ok with that and you're not is kind of why we're on opposite sides of the fence on this one.

Though just pointing it out, water can be used to drown someone, or save someone. Electricity can kill you-or it can save you by restarting your heart. Same for pounding on the chest-can hurt, but can help. I think

Isn't it implied in Beast Wars that this is how things... go...

abandoning thought.

3. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I'll just chuck in my quick thoughts. Short and sweet because I tend to ramble.

I thought it was pretty straight forward to be honest. Cyclonus's spark energy, via the sword, went into Tailgate which rejuvenated his spark enough for the Doc-Bots to begin the treatment to cure his illness. I'm probably gonna sound a bit daft saying this but I don't really see the point in trying to apply real world science/logic to it, not completely. Roberts has proven that he loves keeping us on our toes when it comes to matters of the divine VS science, it's an ongoing theme of the series just look at the 2012 annual! Or the never ending debate between Drift and Ratchet. You can see the sword as a purely scientific tool or one of God, it's up to the reader to decide but for me the sword falls into that lovely in-between spot where one really isn't too sure, I like to see it a test of Cyclonus's faith. It is a space opera type story so I'm not going to hold it to the same standard as a hard science fiction novel, I'm just here for the shits and giggles.

Also gonna comment on Rodimus finally manning up because as much as I've enjoyed egotitical monster Rodimus it was starting to get a bit old and dangerous for the rest of the crew. We've seen hints of it but it all comes to a head in this issue, no more flaming door frames and pink offices, he's finally starting realise what it takes to be a proper leader. I think he was too focused on the idealised image of a Leader(no doubt inspired by Optimus) rather than what sort of Leader he could be given his own personality and ideals.

4. Prime Wylde

Prime Wylde And there you have it...

I don't know about the others (cause I'm too lazy to read everything) but I never said nor meant to convey it was COMMON place. Whirl is nuts and cyclonus was desperate. So he tried Nutjobs, batshit idea. I still easily see "sword channels spark" into "cyclonus forced his spark energy into tailgate using spark as a perfect transfer device".

And may totally been a little vector sigma "magic" since that's where the extra power came from.

And I think he meant with his burdens lifted Cyclonus no longer felt the need to wear them on the surface so he fixed his ass up a bit.

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The risk to Cyclonus. The risk to his life was substantial with the spark-jumping (alluded to in the Delphi arc) and severe with the Healing Shiv (mentioned at the end of this issue).

People on the ship may not like the guy, but there is a clear analog to our medical ethics in Cybertronian culture that does not consider it acceptable for doctors to assist a person in creating a substantial risk to their own life for the sake of a small chance of someone else's recovery. You can't donate 3/4 of your blood, or a liver.

Honestly Ratchet might not have thought there was enough of a chance of saving Tailgate's spark to mention it. He knows how to keep his mouth shut when ethics require it, as Ultra Ambus learned to his chagrin.

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

And the thing that makes the difference between helping or killing in each one of those instances is the manner of implementation and instrumentalization of the element in question. It's about moderation and control, the distinction between doing things the "right way" and being careless.

And to conventional logic, I'd say that Cyclonus certainly didn't go about it the "right way". Likewise, I think the story structure itself was a bit unwieldy. I guess that's why I find the wild success so discordant.

Just don't. No good can come of it! :confused2 

Just gonna weigh in on this. On the one hand, douchey Rodimus was becoming a bit too much of a cartoon character at times, an easy joke launch platform (Rodimus Star, for example?). So yeah, maybe he needs to get serious again. On the other hand, for the first time ever, I started to actually LIKE Rodimus, precisely because he was so obnoxious. So we'll see where his new outlook will take him... could go either way. :) 

Maybe. But it's already been done (successfully) for Fort Max. And they're in the greatest med lab in the universe. I feel like it would have been nice to see them entertain the possibility at least, rather than Whirl's sort of crazy, unlikely idea just... working. Y'know, create some tension. Of course, that would have undermined Roberts' last-minute fake-out... but all things considered, I think the fake-out is part of the problem to begin with.

zmog

7. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, douchey 'I'm the greatest' Rodimus has been a blast. I hope he doesn't get too serious. Maybe confronting Prowl again and telling him he's his own bot, and helping save the universe in Dark Cybertron will give him another ego boost and we'll have a nice balance between self obsessed hot head, and competant inspirational leader.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Rodimus has got some searching to do. I doubt he'll completely abandon his old personality, but just... tone it back. Try and be smarter and just think things through instead of going with his first instinct.

9. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Can I just say that I finally got my copy of 21, and I was STUNNED to read about the handful of folks who thought this didn't wrap things up enough.

What? This was a FANTASTIC issue, and it tied up many loose ends. It's continuing fiction, folks; not everything gets a perfect, neat conclusion. MTMTE is absolutely on FIRE right now (so much so that I'm actually worried Dark Cybertron is going to screw it up).

10. SMOG

Yes, not everything gets a perfect neat conclusion. Especially when your schedule forces you to cram important story elements into a prose epilogue, so you can check it all off the list before Dark Cybertron starts. :wink: 

It's not about the loose ends being tied up. It's HOW they were tied up. There's a difference between a story and a story told... and arguably the telling is the most important part.

zmog

11. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Has it already been discussed that Brainstorm's suffering at the kill switch seems a little like an error?

12. gregles

gregles quintesson

I thought it was more that brainstorm was lying to everyone or was some kind of defensive closet snob when he was talking about in a previous issue

13. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Nope, what it seems like is that Brainstorm is full of shit.

14. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

Not only that but it adds to his jealously of Perceptor.

15. AdyCarter

AdyCarter Mentalist Conspiracies

Possibly already mentioned, but did anyone else notice that tentacles coming from the portal looked almost identical to the "spark eater" tentacles way back in #3

Probably just coincidence, but I figured I'd mention it.

16. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually don't think the tentacles are part of spark eater but something far worse. Where ever Skids went to we have not seen last of the people there.

Five moons may the best theory we have However the ship the glowing orb talking to Skids about I do not think it is Lost Light. I do not believe the ships are named out of randomness they will play a role in the story.

17. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    This is James Roberts we're talking about, bro. Nothing is ever "just a coincidence". :p 

That being said though, the two don't look especially similar to me, aside from being, well, tentacles. The sparkeaters' look more jagged, sharp and shard-y, whereas the portal tentacles looked more simplistic.

Still putting my money on Quints.

18. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I can let things like that slide if it´s not the fault of the writer tho. I excuse that much more easly than COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

19. SMOG

Okay, well... I can't disagree with that. :) 

zmog

20. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I'd like to say that I really hope the red alert storyline is continued on somehow. I will always be angry if he simply committed suicide for (at best) ambiguous reasons and then simply got better again. There has to be more to it than that. I know he's a low visibility character, but I like him.