More Than Meets the Eye #20 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Burningsirius

Burningsirius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know from the earliest times we had some Dalek references, a mention of a 'doctor' and also Death's Head which in the TV show makes an opaque reference to 'giant transforming robots'. Anyway, you can be very narrow what you consider 'working on Doctor Who'. It just depends.

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's a television show known as "Doctor Who." If someone tells me "X has written for Doctor Who," then that's what I look up to verify. Cool that he worked on some of the ancillary stuff, sounds like it's right up his alley.

Yes, I am familiar with Who references in the UK comics. Death's Head has never appeared in this (or any) television show, but yes he did pop up in the Who comics right after Transformers.

3. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    On one hand I do agree that there should be a more lasting impact when stuff happens, but on the other hand I never really liked when always characters bite the dust that belong more or less to the A-tier of characters. I did not even like when Wheeljack bit the dust, and I'm not even a big fan of Wheeljack. But then again, they are only machines and death should mean nothing to them, unless all their memories are deleted.

4. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Apperently #21 will have another short 4 pages story by Roberts.

Aw yeah! DON'T FUCK UP AGAIN COMIXOLOGY!

5. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I gotta say, while SS being a religious nuts is cool, he could receive more characterization. So far he´s pretty much a Warhammer 40k Space Marine.

6. Burningsirius

Burningsirius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Specifically a Black Templar. Don't make me love this guy.

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Well, blowing a hole through someone's head is one way to delete their memories, I guess... :lol 

zmog

8. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Depends on where the memories are stored. Just because they appear humanoid, doesn't mean that everything has to be placed analogous to a human body.

9. SMOG

That is true... but up till now, what we've seen of Cybertronian anatomy has been mostly analogous to the human body... ie: the brain is in the head, T-cog and spark are in the torso, etc...

zmog

10. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    But I guess whenever it suits the story, this can be different ;) 

11. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Is this issue the first time Soundwave spoke in years?

12. Scaldron

Scaldron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's been speaking in RID since issue #12 or #13, so no.

13. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

You know, back to the whole "spies, special forces, black ops & other clandestine groups" topic for a second.

You know who hasn't got any love? Mirage.

He was supposed to be the Autobot James Bond.
    And he was supposed to be from "high society".
    Yet with all this great exploration of Cybertronian history, they've never really used Mirage at all.

They made that mess of a Spotlight (is he "Shattered Glass" or not? Who cares.)
    And any other appearances he's just a generic Autobot background soldier, implying that he's been in the Autobot military pre-dating the war.
    But that would contradict his bio of being an elitist forced by the war to slum with the Autobots.

Another good spot to have used him was to have him be one of Shockwave's "outliers". (Cybertron's X-men) since his invisibility seems to make him, if not unique, somewhat special.

14. SMOG

Can't disagree with any of this. It's not that he hasn't been used, but he's certainly been underused. Of course, it wasn't that long ago that we saw him working at The New Institute, so that may hint at something more for him.

zmog

15. FantomLibrarian

FantomLibrarian Iaconian Data Coordinator

Also, aside from the Spotlight - no direct mention that he even has the ability of invisibility. So no hope of him as an outlier yet...who knows, maybe Shockwave had hidden academies teaching other outliers across Cybertron...

16. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I seen Mirage use invisibility in All Hail Megatron where he was spying on the leaders as they thought he was a traitor before Ironhide beat him up. In spotlight he had similar holographic tech like Hound when pretended to be Bee.

I hope to see more of him in the next season.

17. SMOG

Obviously there's always been some room for interpretation, but just for the sake of trivia, I'll point out that technically, Mirage's 'power' was never "invisibility". That was pretty much just the G1 cartoon simplifying the concept to make it easier to convey on TV. Also, this capability seems to be derived from his equipment, not an innate power.

According to Mirage's original Hasbro abilities:
    "Mirage carries a rear-mounted electro-disruptor which is able to interfere with the circuitry of an opponent by casting discrete packets of electrical charges at him. Hence, he never is situated where he seems to be when it is in use, and can even use the disruptor to give himself the illusion of a different physical appearance, which he can sustain for up to six minutes."

So he can appear to be displaced, or even disguised, but he couldn't go "invisible" really. Also interesting is that the effect seems to be entirely subjective/perceptual on the part of his target. Presumably a human would not be affected, and someone observing from a greater distance would see him for what he is, since they would be out of the electro-distrupter's range.

It is sort of complicated... I guess "goes invisible" is easier after all. :) 

zmog

18. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

It´s kinda the ability a sniper like him would use.

19. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I always thought Mirage's disruptor was like an attention deflector. If you didn't specifically know Mirage was there, you wouldn't notice him. But, then again, it could be less of invisibility and more of blending in.

Personally, I'd prefer a true Spotlight: Mirage that wasn't a cluster, and was more instead along the lines of his background, why he joined, how he learned what he knows, etc... For all we know, he could have originally been a rich snob, and ended up shadowplayed to joining the Autobot cause.

20. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually like this idea.