More Than Meets the Eye #15 Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by GFH, Mar 19, 2013.

1. TF14

TF14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^Roberts writes mtmte not barber. And I think Brainstorm is considered amoral because of the kinds of weapons he invent and a total disregard for life (cybertronian or other)

2. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do apologize on Roberts.

Hannibel Lector is amoral, Chromedome is not amoral with mind invasions he does have sense of right and wrong, making weapons is not grounds of being amoral. Now Brainstorm used the weapons wiping out a planetary species then he does become amoral. By that standard Wheeljack is amoral for making weapons. Arcee is even more amoral than Brainstorm is shown to be. Brainstorm is more of sociopath believing social conventions and rules of law do not apply to him. Either way I would love to see that Brainstorm uses his weapons in Amoral act.

Overlord is Amoral.

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think we're getting confused here over a distinction between "immoral" and "amoral" which are two different things.

Immorality is a conscious corruption of established paradigms of morality (right or wrong). Immorality acknowledges that those things exist, but runs counter to them. In this sense, it might be associated with sociopaths, who understand the difference between right and wrong, but who don't really care... and may even feel compelled to transgress these norms.

Amorality is a state that does not necessarily acknowledge that moral right and wrong exist. It is a more rational or pragmatic outlook that doesn't base decisions on perceptions of their moral value. It steps aside from those value judgments. Being amoral doesn't necessarily make you a bad person, for example... though you might still be one.

Prowl, generally speaking, would be considered an amoral character. He is guided by logic and calculations rather than a moral compass. Brainstorm too, in the sense that I don't think questions of ethics or morality ever enter into his scientific pursuits. For him, he just wants something to achieve a desired effect, for it's own sake. Brainstorm seems to be a scientist unchained by questions of whether he SHOULD do something... for him, he just wants to see if it can be done, and right or wrong is left in the dustbin. So yeah, I'd say he is amoral.

You can design weapons and still be a moral person (though this would certainly lead to conflicts). The way that organizations like the Geneva Convention sought to outlaw certain types of weapons that maim or mutilate rather than kill outright, would be a moral value placed on military tools. An amoral weaponeer would see the logic in maiming enemies, because it puts more strain on your adversary's resources and morale than simple death. An immoral weaponeer would design such weapons because they simply like to see people suffer and take pleasure in it.

Hannibal Lecter is immoral. He understands and recognizes moral imperatives, but consciously and gleefully upends them, sometimes just for the thrill of it. For him transgression and gratification are the goals. He doesn't eat people because it's a rational thing to do, but because it gives him a sense of power over them, and over society, whose rules he breaks on principal.

Chromedome does a lot of amoral stuff, but it seems to genuinely bother him, so I wouldn't say he is amoral. If so, he wouldn't see anything wrong with it, and certainly wouldn't be suicidally depressed.

Overlord I would say is immoral. He actually takes pleasure in others' suffering, and revels in doing horrible things, even though he tries to imply a certain intellectual detachment. I don't think he's amoral at all.

Arcee... if I were generous, I'd say she's amoral...at the very least. But I think she may be much more f***ed up and cruel than that.

zmog

4. WilyMech

News Credits:
    ^
    Last part is true about Arcee. I would killed her off long ago if she was my char in role play. Arcee is only an author device to explain the plot instead of trusting a story arc to do itself.

Really if you watched Dr. Who's K-Nine. Where the shows authors used a robotic dog to save the Dr. and Romana so many times that they had kill the character off or removed completely to save the series. Similar to device to what Arcee became.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    No, making weapons that kill in hideously cruel and obscene manners and devices that, supposedly, cause suns to go out all while remaining entirely emotionally oblivious and self-centered is what makes him amoral.

6. WilyMech

News Credits:
    wow. He can do that. I mean I never like Brainstrom in previous incarnations when I saw him in action. I mean the IDW version actually impressed me.