Digibash: More TFA digibashes...

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by SMOG, Apr 6, 2008.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Was looking at the TFA Ratchet figure, and it got me thinking about whether he would make for a good G1-style custom... an hour or so later, I ended up with these digibashes. I was too lazy to go find photo images of TF fists, so I just quickly painted them in. Heh.

I cropped Ironhide's shoulders because I thought it would look better. Since I don't have the Ratchet figure yet, I'm not sure if there's another place those panels could attach instead (his legs maybe?) .

I didn't get around to doing Trailbreaker's backpack gear (guns, forcefield projector) but I figure that since Ratchet can mount his tools on his back, some extra back kibble for Trailbreaker could be arranged.

Trailbreaker would need some extra paint apps. Not sure if his G1 truck deco really looks all that great (it's very 1970's isn't it?). Ironhide would be pretty easy to do...TFA Ratchet is pretty much all white and red plastic, so he could probably be dyed red, and any unevenness that results from the dye job could just be chalked up to his "age". :) 

zmog

*edit* added Trailbreaker with backpack unit :) 

Attached Files:

2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Those are dead on!! I'd say do one of Ratchet...but that would be moot. Great job, SMOG.

3. shade 0066

shade 0066 Live Fast, Drive Faster!

Ironhide looks great, but not so much for Trailbreaker. I wonder if its possible to mod the shoulders to get that effect for Ironhide?

4. SMOG

I like the way both came out, but I actually think the mold itself works better for Trailbreaker... to the point that I suspect that the TFA Ratchet design was loosely based on Trailbreaker (alt mode, way the hood folds up on stomach, large panels on arms, long slim legs recall TB's toon model).

But the red on Ironhide really "pops" doesn't it. :) 

In both cases, I chose heads that would roughly match the size of the Ratchet figure... probably.

zmog

5. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I think that Ironhide would be worth the can or red pepper Krylon for sure.

6. SMOG

For sure. I mean, Ratchet's only a Deluxe, so he wouldn't be an expensive kitbash.

Though it would help if I had a spare Classics Astrotrain head kicking around...

zmog

7. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Good call! Ironhide's sort of a given, of course, but I never realized how well the Ratchet mold fits Trailbreaker. It has the same "big gut, skinny legs" proportions. And I can buy him being an SUV instead of a pickup with a camper top, it seems a natural evolution.

Botcon repaint, maybe? Poor Trailbreaker deserves a new toy so badly....

8. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Agreed.

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Very nicely done; those are pretty well spot on. And I don't think doing a Ratchet 'bash would be moot - to be honest, those 'bashes virtually work as Classics, and with a little squaring off and detailing to make them look less plain, they could look really cool in that vein...

10. autobot5599

autobot5599 Active Member

Hey I'm thinking of my first custom I think I might like trailbreaker enough to make him!:drool: 

11. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    i have always wondered how animated ratchet would look red with a less animated head. sweet! im not sure i wouldent rather do a custom one like youres opposed to waiting on mega crotch ironhide. good stuff

12. SMOG

TFA Ratchet is also just a really nice toy all around... tough, well-articulated and surprisingly large as well. I'll have a spare soon, so maybe I'll actually give one of these bashes a shot for real. :) 

zmog

13. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    just go finished compairing the classics one to youres. time to hit target and get me a ratchet hopefully my classics prowl head will fit

14. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

...what, no Skids? :D 

These are nice.

15. SMOG

Classics Prowl's head will almost certainly be too small. Animated Ratchet is a large Deluxe with cartoony proportions, and on top of that, he has a long thick neck which gets in the way of sticking other heads on that body. Be prepared to do some cutting, because just sticking another head on that neck will give him a weird giraffe-turtleneck appearance.

My suggestion would be to remove or cut down Ratchet's neck so the new head sits low the torso. If you wanted to go more G1-ish, you could probably swap in some smaller, boxier forearms in the place of TFA Ratchet's giant mitts. I was even thinking some rectangular panels added to the front of Ratchet's shins might give him some more "G1 geometry". Then get a head that's a bit bigger than Classic Prowl's tiny dome. :) 

Thanks. :) 

And yeah... SKIDS! Good call!

zmog