More PS3 Wireless Network Fun

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ok, so I finally ditched my slow ass DSL. I now has speedy 21 MBPS internet. I know my way around a router and wireless networking. But the PS3 seriously has me stumped. Over wifi, on my laptop, iPod Touch, Nook, and phones, were averaging about 12 MBPS speed over Wireless N (Laptop) or even Wireless G (everything else).

However, my PS3 is going from 1.7 - 2.9 MBPS at best. I fiddled with all the setting. Set my router to just Wireless G (as the PS3 doesn't support N to my knowledge). At that point it topped out to 2.9. I am getting 100% signal strength, but all my downloads are slow as hell on the PS3.

So I dropped some cash on a Wi-fi gaming adapter. The adapter receives the Wi-Fi signal, and you hard connect your device to it so it thinks it's a hard connection. When hooked up to the laptop or my PC, I get my full wifi speed of around 12 MBPS. Hook it up to PS3, and that drops down to 3.1 MBPS. Now the adapter is less than 10 feet from the router, and even out on my deck in my yard, I am getting great speeds on my iPod and laptop.

So what the hell am I doing wrong? I am tempted to just buy a 50' Ethernet cable and run it through my living room and dining room to connect the PS3, but really would prefer not to do that.

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Wow, Joe.

I really don't know.
    You seem to know your way around the equipment.

I don't DL much on the PS3, but when I have mine has just seemed slower than the Xbox, or even my laptop.
    Is the PS3's speed throttled?

3. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    When I plugged it into the router directly, I got full speed of my internet. The distance between the router location and the PS3 location in my house make that an impossible setup right now. I could buy a super long cord and run it through the house, but I'm not too interested in having a cabe run the length of 2 rooms.

4. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    All downloads are slow through the PS3. PSN kind of encourages background downloading by limiting DL speeds from the store and updates. One thing you can do is line up your downloads before you're done using the thing, then go to turn the system off.

You'll get an option to delay shutdown until downloads are complete. You can just leave it from there.

Otherwise, if you're testing your connection speed through the PSN browser, you're probably not getting an accurate reading. That browser is awful.

Long and short, gameplay should use all the available bandwidth you provide. Downloads via PSN are slow for everyone. My home internet speed is between 28-38d MPS and downloads still take forever.

Edit: You got full speed DLs on a wired connection? Interesting.

5. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

Can you run it up through your attic? That's what I'm planning to do.

6. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't believe that at all. See, when I hard connected, I downloaded Street Fighter Alpha 2 PS1 (300+ MB) in less than 5 minutes. But when I tried to download using any of my above methods, similar sized downloads became ridiculously slow. Downloading the Ghostbuster demo (260 MB) was taking nearly an hour over wifi (cancelled the download), and it took 30+ minutes over the wifi adapter.

So I know people like to claim it's just slow in general, but hard wired, it was not slow in the least.

7. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My computer and PS3 are on the first floor. Running it through the attic would take over 200 feet of cable.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    A quick search of the Googles reveals a lot of hits on this very matter, but not a unifying solution.

Apparently the PS3 has issues if the wireless router is set to negotiate its transmission rate as 'Auto' and you need to set the default speed to the G bandwidth.

Although this didn't seem to help everyone.

9. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    How about running your connection through your electrical system?

There's these adapters that if you place them to an electrical socket and connect an ethernet cord to them, you can use the already established electrical system as a long cable instead.

So, it would go:

Computer ------> Wall Adapter ----- (Goes through your electrical system) ----> Wall Adapter (receiver) ----> Modem

It's MUCH more expensive that a 50 ft. Ethernet cable, but hey... you don't have the cable lounging around anymore.

10. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    The problem is whats inside the PS3 not your router, I don't believe there is anyone anywhere that has managed to get PSN downloads faster wirelessly than wired.

11. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    When I set the wifi for the PS3, I initially set the router strictly to G, which gave me slow speeds. I have it set to G & N so the adapter is pulling N speeds (which it is when I use it on other devices).

12. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Has anyone actually tried this with the PS3? Not looking to drop hundreds and hundreds of dollars on this.

13. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    But the PS3 is currently not running a wireless connection. It is hard wired to a wifi adapter that should be sending it speeds of about 12 MBPS (tested on other dives, that's the speed the adapter is pulling from the router), but it's getting speeds at about 1/3 of that.

I did about 4 hours of research on google and bing as well as various PS3 forums. No one has provided any concrete answers, simply speculation and dismissive comments. I'll probably just go and buy a long ethernet cable and simply run it along the walls or under the floor to the router.

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

This is crazy :( 

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I may be running into this issue in a month when we get our house. It was convenient in an apartment running a cable, but it's a whole different issue when dealing with another room upstairs.

I thought this would be an issue anywhere? Isn't a wired connection supposed to be faster, regardless? What's happening here is that the wireless is significantly slower.

Hey Joe, how are you testing your DL UL speed? I know my wired hauls ass, but I've never tested my wireless in my apartment.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  16. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The thing that ticks me off more than anything is that I set up my fathers wifi with his PS3. Same ISP, and his PS3 wifi is great. It's actually the reason I caved for the internet service. Eh. One more round of finagling and then it's off to return the adapter and get a long cable.

17. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

I'm curious if the same thing would occur with your PS3 and a different router, or your father's PS3 with your router.

18. rdarkstream

rdarkstream Minicon lover

Ebay:
    open the ports?

19. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Heh, yeah with that "gaming adapter" , maybe try to give that a static ip.

I just hooked my friend up with that old free evo hotspot hack, i dunno what phone you got, but that hack worked pretty good, im sayin if you want to hook your ps3 up to your wifi enabled phone if you have one, this is a great option to return that "gaming adapter" and remove that hardwire you said you had goin on. But, youd haveta have your phone charging all the time battery eater.

Other than that maybe extend the hard wire for the adapter a lil closer to your router?

Also, mixed mode b/g always works best for me. when i set to solely b or g i can notice the diff kinda. channel 6, upnp: on MTU: Auto,

damn i was gonna say somethin else i forgot...

20. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I used to have problems with wireless with mixed-mode G/N supporting both G and N clients. I don't have these problems anymore! What I did was buy a dual-band router. I did a lot of research ahead of time, and it seems that G or N (depending on the circumstances) can be severely effected by the other.

Also, it doesn't hurt to do a channel scan (if your router supports it) to see what everyone else in your area is using, and switch to the legal channels that aren't being used.