More proof iPhones suck!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Sep 8, 2007.

1. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

thats how I feel man, I want to watch a movie I want to enjoy it in high definition. The cell phones are becoming overrated and the iphone is on top in the moment. I just need my phone to get in contact and listen music too. Thats just how I feel.

2. Armorhide

Armorhide Damn kids

:lol  I can't believe that happened.

3. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

i can't belive that the iphone actually screamed when the battery was cut by the blender :lol 

4. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Eh, the iPhone is just the epitome of too much tech at once. The only reason that my cellphone has MP3 capabilities is because it was the best phone for the price. I NEVER listen to music on it because of it's tinny speakers, and the fact that you have to wear a busted up headphone/hands free headset to listen to it otherwise.

5. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I popped some music onto my KRZR and was sadly underwhelmed. I deleted it shortly thereafter. The only other thing I really use my phone for is as an occasional alarm clock.

6. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    That's the funny thing, I'm listening to my music on my iPhone right now, it has the same sound quality as a regular iPod. I also watched many movies on my iPhone, I find the map feature handy, also the weather feature. I have used the calculator feature many more times than I thought I would. The only feature that I don't use at all on the iPhone is the stock function, and even then maybe I should look into it. The youtube function made waiting at any place fun. I check my e-mail whenever I have to run out for errands, and I still can be kept up to date when something urgent does come in, so I'm not tied to my computer.

Look, it may not be for everyone, but with the price and the features, it certainly is tailored made for me. I'm getting $100 credit from Apple, and now the phone can be easily unlocked, the excuse to hate it is beginning to be less and less.

Unless people just wanna hate Apple, then nothing can change that.

7. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:

Well we have two completely different lifestyles as well. You're in NYC, I'm in the middle of a corn field. The only thing that's really BAD about my cellphone as an MP3 player is that I've got to pop the card in and out, and it'll ONLY play MP3s. My phone also has a calculator, and most of the other stuff CAN be done on my phone if I want to browse on a tiny little screen, and can get a high quality signal.

And I'll be the first to admit that Apple's done quite a few things right, I just think that the iPhone isn't one.

8. Matrix Soul

News Credits:
    Certainly, I do feel that this phone is sort of ahead of its time, now picture the iPhone in a city, or in a country where Wi-Fi and available everywhere and free. This phone is a sign of the things to come, and again, I believe it is tailor made for my lifestyle, and the price tag is justified IMO, whether I get that $100 store credit or not, best phone I own, hands down.

9. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I work for at&t and will tell you not to buy an iphone. Not because of auto updates, but because its a first generation device. Also US carriers, especially at&t, need better international rates because that's what rakes up many business folks bills through the roof.

10. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

1. Apple doesn't design rate plans, or overage charges. Nor do they see any cut of the money AT&T would make off of such overages. Such overages are in place because it's not cheap for AT&T to shell out money to international mobile service providers for their network access.

2. Apple's exclusivity contract with AT&T is pretty standard among new phones, other than the length (I believe 2 years). AT&T (then Cingular) was the exclusive carrier for the RAZR for a while when it came out; now everyone has it. It'll be the same way with the iPhone once their term is up (and possibly sooner, now that they're getting unlocked left and right).

3. This isn't a problem with the iPhone. This is a problem with idiot customers. It's not exclusive to the iPhone either, although people like to spit the hate. Countless people with PDA-style phones have been hit with data charges like this, usually because they never stop to wonder why their data is still working, or that there might be extra charges. This guy says he didn't think the data would be compatible - but do you seriously think that while on vacation, not a single person on his trip noticed that email was still updating?

4. Ignorance is not an excuse. "But no one reads the terms and conditions." That's not AT&T's fault. That's the consumer's fault for thinking there's not important stuff in there. When you click the "I accept" on the T&C's, you're saying you read it, even if you didn't.

The guy complained to the OOP, which means eventually he'll probably get his money back, but it's pretty hard to prove AT&T did anything wrong here.

11. Matrix Soul

News Credits:
    Remember, without first gen device, there will be no second gen device... There will be no PS2 or 3, XBox 360, so on and so forth. AT&T is out to cheat their customers, that their business choice, but that doesn't reflect the quality of the phone itself, AT&T sells bunch of other phones too, would you recommend others not to buy them as well? Maybe just not use AT&T all together? iPhone can now be unlocked, so take it to your favorite carrier if you choose.

12. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I know that one from first hand experience. While with Sprint I had a PDA I connected to a phone with a data cable and used it as a modem. It was awesome and this was back in 1999/2000 before all of the current "high-speed" networks and cool featues. It was a blast to do IMs and basic text surfing over the internet (I had a black and white PDA) until I got the bill. Almost $200 for using "second generation" services. I even called to ask what that meant and the representative said "I don't know." Apparently, I was doing something that obviously wasn't directly supported of most people didn't know about.

But, I may get an iPhone once it hits Sprint because I can get a 27% discount with my current company if I switch to Sprint. Wait. My contract with Verizon won't be up until 2009. Damn. By then we'll have a 120GB iPhone with 48 hr battery life, OLED display and a new smaller form factor with even more glorious features. Gotta love, and hate, technology.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Is it normal for a data plan to add functionality to hardware that is supposedly turned off? "Off" being a sleep mode that continues to download data is part of the hardware and software, not the data plan.
    "Off" doesn't always mean "off" anymore when it comes to electronic devices. It often just means "sleep mode", and even that sleep mode may not be so absolute. The Wii, for example, also downloads data while it is "off".
    I'm not suggesting that they've maliciously done anything. I didn't actually suggest anything at all. I put certain facts in proximity to each other and didn't add further comment. Apple most certainly did write the software that determines the behavior of the iPhone. They definitely are getting some kind of kickback from AT&T, since that's the only reason exclusivity deals ever happen. The details of that deal aren't known to me. If indeed the iPhiones are downloading data while "off", then at the very best, overage charges are just something that Apple should definitely have taken into account account when designing that behavior. Failing to do that would be pretty bad, whether they're getting any incentive to do it deliberately or not.

But did your PDA/phone use data services while it was supposed to be off?

14. Rampage01

Rampage01 knockoff of a knockoff

Wait. Wait. Wait. The iphone has to be shipped back to Apple for the battery to be recharged? You can't just recharge it at home, or put a new set of double As or whatever into it? I never really payed much attention to the iphone before seeing as how I'm just not really interested in a phone with all that superfluous stuff tacked on, but if you really have to ship the whole phone back to the company to get it recharged, then that is probably the stupidest thing I've heard since Al Gore invented the internet. Seriously, are there even any other electronic devices that do that? I'm really not trying to hate on Apple or anything, but that battery thing is either idiocy to the supreme or masterful manipulation of their dedicated followers.

15. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

16. Matrix Soul

News Credits:
    The battery is internal, and it has a certain amount of charges to it before it starts to decline, like all rechargeable batteries, and once it dies, it'll have to go to either an Apple authorized technician or Apple itself, and there is a fee of $79 including shipping to get a brand new battery. You can charge it at home, just can't replace it yourself like you would with a Walkman.

17. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I've never really understood the fully-internal battery school of thought. I know those really smooth, uninterupted chrome backs are nice and all, but is it worth the hassle?

18. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

19. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Wait a minute... incompetent users blaming a product for their own mistakes?!?! WHAT IS THIS.

20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Well that's good news for sure.