More Powerful Online Retailers = More Potential for Online Exclusives?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ams, Jun 30, 2010.

1. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just reading through the BBTS Seacons thread and was wondering why this exclusive wasn't picked up by Walmart, Target, or Kmart. One would assume they had the opportunity and passed. Now enter BBTS, and the Seacons are on their way.

Our options for exclusives outside normal retail channels has always been pretty limited, with Botcon and the Collector's Club offering the only real options. I know many had hoped HasbroToyShop would become a vehicle for online exclusives, but with the exception of the yearly nightmare of SDCC items, they've been a washout.

Now that BBTS is a major player, and TFSource getting there as well, does this open the possibility of more Hasbro online exclusives through them? Just making up an example... say BBTS was able to collect $40 preorders for 2000 Drifts in a red Sideswipe deco (maybe no packaging, just bagged like the con exclusives). Are we getting closer to the point where a BBTS or TFSource could secure several thousand preorders for a popular fan-item and have it made in a Hasbro factory?

* Please keep in mind that I do understand the cost involved with something like this, and this isn't just a "why won't Hasbro" thread. But BBTS getting a large-scale exclusive certainly seems to open some doors.

2. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I'm not sure, but damned if it isn't an intriguing prospect nonetheless.

I, for one, hope so.

3. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

Keep in mind it's not like Hasbro had to go and make a brand new mold. They just reissued the Seacons.

I think you'd need to guarantee a significant level of profitability for them to make a new mold.

4. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it really depends on the nature of the exclusives. In seacons' case, it is more tailored towards collectors and in such a limited quantities so BBTS definitely has an advantage over other venues like target since BBTS is more collector-oriented.

On the other hand, I couldn't imagine BBTS or any online stores carry exclusives like ROTF Superion. Online stores have much less tolerance in inventory clearance. It will be a disaster when they have to mark the exclusive to $5 or $10, as the case we have seen before.

5. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    depending on how many are made why not do animated voyagers this way?

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd suggest a new mold would be out of the question, which is why I used the example of a redeco of a currently-in-production mold.

I could definitely see it as a way to get those last few Animated toys many folks want. They're also currently in production for Japan, after all.

7. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

This.

If BBTS/TFSource get exclusives, I think it would be geared more towards collector items that probably won't move in stores.

Look at Masterpiece Skywarp. Clearanced out, clogging shelves. Lowest price I saw him at was $16 (which pissed me off with my $60 purchase :p ). A collector's item that filled shelves, took up space, and had to be sold at a loss.

BBTS probably has a better chance of getting their stuff sold to the people who would appreciate it, or perhaps who it's better intended for. Hasbro doesn't have to produce as many to sell to the collector market. Collectors get a pretty slick item. Everyone wins (in theory).

8. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope so. I prefer online retailers carrying exclusives over driving around, burning gas, polluting the earth, and searching for toys.

It seems the fans are up in arms over the 10 mark up (+ 8 for shipping) but its really not that bad. Tax in my State (TX) would of put this at 54 dollars plus gas so its about the same.

9. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    As long as whatever retailer in question doesn't pull some Matty Collector behavior on us, I agree.

10. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I imagine the Seacons being a great success, but it'll take something like a G1 reissue or Classics repaint for a lot of fans to bite if doing other exclusives in the future.

I'm all for it if it means we get these kinds of figures. Piranacon getting released like this is a big deal in my view.

11. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm really hoping they're doing this so they can test the waters to see if exclusives will be viable at sites like BBTS..... i.e the remaining Animated Toys.

12. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    It is amazing. When I saw it in the display case at BotCon, I could hardly believe it. Kind of figured that the TFCC version would be it on that set for a long time.

13. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

I applaud Hasbro for giving this exclusive to BBTS. If nothing else, it means more fans around the world have a fair chance at getting one!

14. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I could definitely see the door opening up for something like this (assuming the Seacons are a success).

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I hope so it could become the avenue for all the reissues we have always talked about but have never happened.

16. JuicyNo

JuicyNo Well-Known Member

Crosses fingers for Computron....and another Predaking.

17. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Given those rumors of a re-release of Predaking and Sixshot that haven't materialized yet, I could definitely see those being online store exclusives. They didn't exactly sell too well at mass release, but there is high demand in the secondary market. I'm all for online exclusive releases.

18. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    maybe then i'll finally get my Artfire to go with my Ricochet

19. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Heck why stop at reissues? We could get exclusives such as the rest of the Animated Line that isn't coming out at online retailers. This solves three things:

1. A willing retailer to sell the product

2. Hunting down items at brick and mortar stores

3. Scalpers, since a buying limit can be put on each item.

Hasbro gets to sell more to their niche crowds, online retailers get exclusive stock to guarantee business, and collectors benefit since they can find said product easily without empty trips to stores and dealing with scalpers on popular or new items. Everyone wins.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I hope not, i actually like buying retail....seriously the prices for the figure aren't the problem it's the damn shipping it's like $24.00 for something you paid like $10 online.....like:crazy: :drunk :mad 

but again i don't have job like most people like you so it's just my 2 cents.