More Port Forwarding problems... HALP pl0x

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Poho, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    Okay, I have successfully done port forwarding for xbox live, and given my xbox a static IP address. Here are my settings:
    [​IMG]
    The tutorial websites all showed the "IP Address" box as being blank. Mine wouldn't let me leave it blank, and kept filling in random IP Addresses from my home network. I asked a techie buddy of mine if I could just put my router address in that box, and he said it should work fine. Badaboom, it works.
    I still can't connect to my friend on the other side of the country.

I have him set up with all the same settings as mine (he even has a very similar router to mine, same company, slightly different model). His won't let him leave the "IP Address" box empty either. So I told him to put in his router address. When he tried to save the settings, it said "IP Address conflicts with LAN address" or something along those lines.

HOW THE FRIG CAN WE MAKE THIS WORK? It's been nine months since he moved out there and we still can't connect to each other.

Ideas anyone?

2. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Try putting in the IP Address box the static IP you assigned your 360, if that is what you are opening the ports for. Everything in that bit should be just for the 360.

So say your Xbox static IP is 192.168.0.100 then it should read 192.168.0.100 in the IP Address box.

3. Poho

News Credits:

Interesting; my friend who taught me the port forwarding thing said that the xbox's IP address should definitely not be there. perhaps he is a fool?

4. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Form what I can see, everything in that row is specific for the ports being forwarded to allow the 360 out of your network. If your router doesn't know the IP address of your Xbox, it won't know to open those ports for it.

Out of interest, what is your routers make and model?

5. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    When using port forwarding, two thing MUST always happen:

1. The device you are forwarding to MUST have a static IP. You can assign a static IP either on the router or the device itself, but it has to have the same IP every time.
    2. The IP of that device MUST be in the router setting for that port forwarding setting, otherwise the router has no idea which device is recieving the port forwarding traffic.

If your friend said to leave the IP field blank, he has zero concept of computer networking and his opinion should not be trusted ever again.

6. Poho

News Credits:
    I will have him terminated. thanks Gog! <3

7. Poho

News Credits:
    So the issues continue. I still haven't been able to get a chance to try the connection with my friend in BC, but here's what's up:

EVERY time i turn my xbox on and sign it, it tells me i can't connect to xbox live. if i try to connect manually, it will tell me within five seconds that i can't. so i test the connection, which will tell me that i CAN connect, but that my network configuration may cause me some problems, because my NAT type is moderate.

only after testing my connection can i connect to xbox live.

what the hell is going on? i thought port forwarding made everything better....

8. Poho

News Credits:
    Ok now I can't even connect to xbox live. my roommate is online playing MW2, which has NEVER ONCE interfered with my playing. SO WHAT THE HELL IS IT? Please dudes i need some serious help here.

When i test the connection it says that my console is connected to the internet, but it can't connect to xbox live.
    It says to go into my router settings and to make sure port 3074 is open (which it is).
    Then it says to contact my ISP. Which makes no sense. the internet is obviously fine because my roommate is using it right now.

9. GogDog

News Credits:
    Post your manual settings from the xbox.

10. Poho

News Credits:
    okay, my roommate has stopped playing, and i changed the settings as per this site:
    Xbox LIVE Connect Solution | Xbox Support

i'm back to where i started though, with the whole "you can connect to xbox live, but your current network configuration may limit your online experience"

what the hell. i just did something that makes my connection better, and yet it limits my online experience? why the f*ck is my NAT type still moderate.

Manual xbox settings:
    IP Address: 192.168.0.11
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1

And i still can't connect to xbox live without testing my connection first.

11. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

Do you have your xbox 360 connecting wired or wireless to your router? If it's wired and you are getting that your NAT settings is moderate, you might wanna try to connect your system directly to your modem. Yes, it won't be protected by hackers when it comes to someone trying to hack your system, but this should easily get rid of your connection problem and allow you to connect to anyone. I remember having this problem of connecting to other and xbox live parties for multiplayer and I've tried everything you tried. Currently, my system is connected to the modem instead of the router and had no problem connecting and joining others for games. Hope this helps.

12. Poho

News Credits:
    my xbox is wired to the router, but unfortunately that's not an option. the modem only has one port, and it's connected to the router, which connects to as many as seven different devices in my apartment; wirelessly and wired.

13. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I mentioned this in your other thread, but it seems that certain types of routers (or more specifically, the firmware they're running) don't always work well with the Xbox.

I had to have the Xbox left to automatic (with no manual settings entered) and have the router assign the static IP address to the Xbox. (I also had to disable UPnP, but this was on a router running DD-WRT firmware.) This solved my problem.

As GogDog said, you definitely need the specific, static IP address for your Xbox to be entered for the port forwarding to work.

That looks like the UI for a D-Link router, right? Do you have more than one Xbox trying to access Live at the same time?

14. GogDog

News Credits:
    Poho, post your model make and model. And list the firmware date from the settings. From the looks of your screenshot I assume you have a D-Link?