More Popular Interpretation of G1?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nachtsider, Apr 29, 2010.

?

Which interpretation of G1 do you prefer?

1. The cartoon

64 vote(s)
    68.1%
  2. The comics

30 vote(s)
    31.9%
  1. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Recent polls have shown us how popular the G1 cartoon is compared to other TF cartoons in the eyes of TFW members. But how does it hold up to the G1 comics? As I've mentioned in the past, I like the comics better, particularly the Marvel ones. But I'm still curious to see what other people here think.

2. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Marvel comics every time, they're my personal G1 canon. I can (and do) read them time and time again. I've got them all in the computer to save the paper copies. The original G1 cartoon makes me sleepy these days, I can only watch a maximum of two episodes at a time.

3. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    personally i like the 'toon, i enjoyed them more, and just recently went through the comics again too

4. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

So were not breaking down the comic option to the different publishers???

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

The cartoon. I was more familiar with the cartoon than the comics.

6. AMG

AMG Old School

I enjoy both, but the cartoon wins for me.

7. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

While I am more familiar with the cartoon continuity than I am with the Marvel comic, I'm sure the comic was the better of the two from a quality standpoint.

8. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I just noticed this topic suffers from the same inherent flaws that the last 2 poles did.

Which is "more popular" and which is "preferred".

The comic had better writing and characterization.....but I'm still willing to bet the toon was more popular.

I'm sure the toon grew the fanbase far more then the comic did.

9. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prepare to get blasted for the interchangeable use of popular and preferred. They ate me alive over it.

10. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Its because they arent always interchangeable.

Most of the time they are mutually exclusive.

Think about it.

Many Trekies will agree that DS9 or TNG was the best written of the Trek series.Best stories, best characterazation.

But none of them would say either was more "popular" then the original series.

"Popularity" is measured by more then whats "preferred" or what was better.Its brand reconnection, its sales, its product demand, its longevity.

Its more then I can list.

11. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    The cartoon is waaay more popular, but I enjoy the comics more.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yay. another topic that asks a completely different question that the poll contained within. and this one goes a step beyond by not specifying which G1 comic it's asking about.

13. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Cartoon only because I never read the comics.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    What a hard choice beyond the contradiction of the thread topic and poll question.

The cartoon was my franchise bible as a kid, Rumble was Blue, Frenzy was Red. TF:TM is still such a fun movie, heck, I had a party last Saturday and we ended up watching it at 2 AM. Certain episodes like Golden Lagoon, Secret of Omega Supreme, Starscreams Brigade, and Webworld are still enjoyable episodes, others in the series show how much rose tinted glasses help.

The comics I had one or two issues of as a kid, but didn't really like. In college, thanks to the internet, I read the entire Marvel run. It was amazing and essentially a fresh take on these characters to me. Characters like Shockwave, Ratbat, along with the mature storytelling make it an amazing run. They seemed more real, more visceral, and far more "adult". Thanks to them "All are Dead", "H3lp Us", and so many other images have become iconic to our fandom, plus the truth that Frenzy is Blue, Rumble is Red.

For all intents and purposes, giving the phrasing, I'm only counting the Marvel (both US and UK) run as the comics. All the later DW and IDW stuff are excluded.

So I guess I'm saying that the kid in me says the cartoon, the adult says the comics. I don't think I'll vote in this.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Eh, I'm indifferent to both. The cartoon is what I grew up with but it's a complete shitstorm. The comic is alright, it had some good stories and was able to bring some characters into the spotlight that was never in the cartoon. But nothing else about it makes me jump for joy.

16. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh, for fuck's sake, there's no fucking contradiction in the title. The question is: "What is the most popular version of G1? Let us find out by asking everyone what they prefer. That version will be the most popular among the voters. Because they PREFER IT. THEREFORE IT IS POPULAR WITH THEM." It's not "What was historically the most popular with the public?" or "What is objectively the superior piece of work?", it's "WE WILL FIND OUT THE MOST POPULAR OPTION OUT OF TWO OPTIONS BY ASKING PEOPLE FOR THEIR PREFERRED OPTION."

Jesus fucking CHRIST.

And CARTOON.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I CAN SAY FUCK TOO.

What you're saying would make sense, if it wasnt for the fact that a lot of people who voted on the other badly-worded polls interpreted it as asking "which is already more popular", NOT "what do you prefer", which is what the poll asks. Go back, look at the reasons they give for their voting. a lot of people pretty much say that they were voting for the one they thought was the most popular, and some got mad at people for voting for which series they prefer, rather than the one that was percieved to be the most popular.

Not everyone reads the question in the poll. some see the topic question, and then sees the choices, and thinks "oh, this one was the more popular one", and votes for that.

I understand what the poll is asking. YOU understand what the poll is asking. but LOTS of people don't, because they refuse to read the poll question. so we get fucked up results.

18. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    WELL OKAY THEN THAT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE AS A COMPLAINT

...ahem.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    high five.

20. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Comic is the only option for me. It shows how bad the toon really was. Seriously, I can't even watch it anymore.

It doesn't matter what I say, though. Most of the fanbase is illiterate when it comes to Transformers and it'll stay that way as long as the pictures are stationary.:(