More parents showing up in children's job search

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rodimus Prime, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

http://www.suntimes.com/output/business/cst-nws-job19.html

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I was 13 years old when I got my first job. My Mom said to get off my ass and find a job. I had to go out, fill out applications and go to the interviews on my own. Never once did my parents go with me or become involved with the process. I had to negotiate my own wages, times, and trasnportation.

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    what the hell? if they need mommy and daddy to show up to help them thats crap....and if the parent is hovering that much, the kid has probably been strangled all their life....

4. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I'm currently looking for post-graduation work and am pretty much on my own; as it should be. At this age parents shouldn't be holding hands in a process such as this.

5. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Actually I think it's cool parents are showing support for there kids. But I think it's just weird for a parent to join in on a job interview.

6. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

As a manager responsible for hiring new staff, I would automatically toss out applicants who bring ANYONE else with them to a job interview. It shows a lack of respect for the environment, and a lack of maturity in the applicant (specifically in the case of a 20 year old bringing their parent to a job interview).

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow.. That is just stupid.. I've NEVER done anything like that. Only thing my parents did was make me go out and find a job or look over my resume or application.

8. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

For once, I actually agree with you, Random Autobot. I would definately not consider a person who brings their parents to a job interview if they're in their 20's. Be an adult and get out there and get your own damned job.

9. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    ive done that before...i had a guy bring his girlfriend and told her to hang out in the store during the interview....since our policy cant let us automatically throw people out, i gave him 5 minutes, in which he just confirmed he wasnt right for the job....

10. Random Autobot

Well, I didn't literally mean toss the applicant out, I just know I won't hire them. I usually find ways to cut the interview short.

For instance, I had a woman show up for an interview with her husband, a scuzzy looking dude in trackpants who looked like he hadn't bathed in a month. During the interview, it became obvious that the woman was in no way qualified for the job, so I explained to her that I needed more experience. She argued a bit, and then I sent her on her way. I was sitting in my office, and the husband comes in, all irate. I explained that his wife wasn't right for the position. He basically suggested that he should kick my ass, at hich point I rose to my full 6'3" height, and suggested he leave the building now.

Needless to say, he did. He was only 5'5" ;) 

11. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

I can see it for 14-15 year olds, Parents just want to protect there children, but not on the interview process. And for the 20+ folks, who really wants their parents there?

12. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    QFT.

13. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

It's merely odd and inappropriate if the kid is 15-16 and out looking for that first job. For a 20-something, it's just fucking pathetic.
    The article makes it sound like it's more of a phenomenon of the parent(s) inserting themselves into the process rather than Muffy the Tri-Delt bringing her dad along to lobby on her behalf. Both show a lack of maturity and qualification for any job; either you aren't independent enough at 20+ to tell your mom/dad that they shouldn't tag along or you feel the need to do the latter.

And lo, we see the results of those losers who couldn't play dodgeball for shit, cried when their assignments were marked with too much red ink, had their parents protest if they ever got a C or lower, and evidently had a free ride to college...since they obviously didn't you know...work to afford it.

14. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I would think that would hurt your chances of getting the job if you are over 18. It shows that you are not capable of making your own decisions.

15. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Where the heck do you work, and what position was this?

16. Random Autobot

I run a membership and fundraising division for a major Canadian Art Gallery... basically the largest. I was hiring some new fundraisers at the time.

17. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Geez and Mrs. Scuzzy Trackpants Guy didn't meet your standards? Talk about picky. ;) 

18. Random Autobot

Strangest double post ever.

19. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only time any of my parents went with me on an interview was my first one a couple of weeks before I got my drivers license and mom stayed in the car while I went in and did the deed myself.

It is good that parents want to be a part of thier kids lives but a job interview is NOT one of those times.

20. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think I'd be embarassed if my mom called a company to ask if they would hire me. haha