More Or Less? Ever Get tired of Collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tyjos, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Twitter:
    Well due to the amounts I spend on TFs, which is less than what I Spend on the other series I collect [Gi Joe, Star Wars,Gundam, Anime Figures, Stargate SG1/SGA,Comics,DVDs] I am starting to really wonder....are TF's worth the addiction?

I've gotten to the point now that it's like "Oh great, another remold,repack,repaint it's the star wars clone trooper syndrome all over again"

I mean really all TFs do now these days is they get out of the package, put on a shelf, transformed maybe once or twice. I'm 24 years old, I've gotten to that age and mentality now that yeah they're nice toys but do I really need to play with them anymore?

I wonder how many other of you people out there have this well mentality I guess you can say about Toys. I mean sure they make a room look awesome, but really I'd rather spend my money on Comics and DVD Sets....just with Hasbro's massive release of all this new stuff for all the series I collect it's a Tsunami on my poor brain that is dealing with the fact I can't buy everything I want anymore due to the economy and the fact I got to prioritize my lists now.

Just makes me sometimes want to pull my hair out and scream banging my head on the desk cursing Hasbro.

At some times I really do wish I wasn't a Transformer Fan, Star Wars Fan, Anime Fan, and a Gi Joe Fan.....that way I wouldn't be practically going through a store saying "ooh that looks cool, I want that." At everything.

Just a result of the fact I don't have a life, which my existence is devoted to collecting......

Sigh...

Heck even looking at the new TFs it's like "Oh great, something ELSE I'll want to buy then a month later declare it crap and sell it." I Just can't really seem to enjoy the figures anymore.

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Try being 38, married and having 2 teens.
    Yeah, I think we all go through a particular collecting phase; me- in large part due to money and space, I only get what appeals to me. I had a bunch of Beast Wars, only a few Beast machines, a few from Car Robots... and, in an ironic way I'm glad that I disliked Armada, Energon, Cybertron and now Animated. Movie? Only a few, and I predict only a few from ROTF, unless the toys are improved.
    Classics, on the other hand, are the ones that have grabbed me. But not just any Classics either. I'm pretty much sticking with the G1 characters. They're small and cheap. I would get a Classics Devastator, if they offered up anything NEW instead of a deplorable Armada repaint. The same goes for Superion and Bruticus.

3. Tyjos

Twitter:
    So far I mean there are like 2 figures I want out of all the new upcoming figures, maybe 3 and that's it.

I mean my room has gotten small,and will get even smaller after christmas when I get TFU Unicron, ARC-170 Starfighter, Republic Gunship....even Wingblade and Galaxy Force Prime will add to my room that's shrinking. And once I get my SG-1 Stargate Complete that will be something else I'll have to display.

I've already had to put away my Zoids the 3 I have, and I right now can't find a storage box for that big piece of plastic called the BMF [Big Millenium Falcon] that's taken up allot of my floor space. Also got the Gi Joe X-19 Phantom Jet which I just recently got that is just about the size of the Falcon. I'll even have to find a spot for Micromaster Countdown once I get him too.

I mean even looking around my room now, it's like Sheesh do I really need Transformers, Star Wars figures, Star Trek Figures, more Anime Figures [which I have at least 100 figures by now] and more Comics[which I have some scattered about my room and my room can be compared to that of a comic/toy shop now]

I must be a Ferengi by now.....I swear I'm starting to stop that thinking mentality of getting more...like one of the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition says:
    "More is good, All is better."

In fact I'm planning on rebuilding my Trek Collection as well,that means even more space will be needed for the large scale Ships....

The bad thing is my Interest shift so rapidly it's like "Maybe I'll be into TF's this month, no Star Wars, no Gi Joe, No I want Comics, I really want DVDs, I want more Anime Figures!"

Just makes me at times Just want to bang my head on a desk.

I mean if Hasbro really came out with at TF I really want to get and if they make it to the point that I can actually afford it I'd probably collect more TFs. And now I'm sorta reached the end of my road with collecting, having acquired most of what I've wanted for so Long it's now gotten quite boring.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    If you're feeling that way, maybe it is time to step back and decide what you really want, and just collect that? I used to collect a ton of stuff, but these days, I focus entirely on Transformers, and then I'm selective. I just get the ones I really like. Honestly, I appreciate the stuff I get far more because it seems more special.

5. Unicron129

Unicron129 Well-Known Member

I had practically dropped Transformers altogether until last year when I bought MP DVD Prime. I then realized that the only Transformers worth buying are Masterpieces. I'm trying to tear down my collection to only my MP Optimus, MP WM Screamer, and MP Megatron. Now I'm waiting for MP Grimlock. It's much easier to buy a TF every 2 years than every 2 weeks.

6. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm tired of it. I've packed almost everything up except a few customs. I'm still interested in the new stuff and love reading about new stuff, but I've decided to display 1 at a time, and try to enjoy it instead of buying everything I want and packing it up.

7. Tyjos

Twitter:
    I've got the DVD Prime, and WMP Screamer and yeah they make all the other TFs look well inferior. Yet there are a few gems there that I like. I'd love to get a Masterpiece Skywarp to go with MP Screamer since he's one of the few MP figures I like.

Just right now my obsession "Phase" is switching to Star Trek/Star Gate SG-1/Atlantis for those SG-1/SGA Figures have a BAF[Build A Figure] Style thing where you have to buy the whole set to get a complete assembled accessory.

My Obsession Phases switch randomly to one genre to another, one month I can be totally devoted to TFs the next month It's Anime, or Comics....and me being somewhat of a Completest I'm one of those collectors that kick myself in the butt for missing out on the last figure for a whole Wave of figures.

Right now I am somewhat wishing I hadn't spent the amount of $$$ I have on certain things that just take up space.

8. simplygriff

simplygriff Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    I got to that point back during my last phase of collecting. I was buying all the comics, dvd's, figures for multiple toy lines (SW, comics, TF's etc.), statues, my god... Just stuff. I really think it was out of boredom. Like I had to spend my money on something. It really was ridiculous and killed my wallet. You need to pick your favorite line or 2 lines max and just buy those those things. It might be comics, or DVDs or toys. If it's toys, you've got to make yourself focus on one line. Your most favorite. I feel like a toy collection that focuses on a single line is far stronger and cooler than a ton of figures that kinda have ties to each other but overall have far too different styles and just look like a jumbled mess.

I eventually just went cold turkey and started spending money in other places of my life. I sold a lot of the stuff that was actually worth anything and have just recently gotten back into TF's. And now I've started picking up select 25th anny GIJoes (OK All the cobras... :tongue: )but that's where I'll draw the line. You just gotta be more choosy. :D  Good Luck Man!
    -G

9. Irony

Irony fangirl

*heart touched*

I understand that feeling, Tyjos. I am a Star Wars fangirl and last year I learnt how GREAT it is to be a fan. I got my reward when I went to Star Wars Celebration Europe exactly ten years after seeing SW the first time. And I remember when I got my Theatrical Edition DVDs I didn't dare watching them in the 4-5-6 row I was afraid it would be toooo good and flush out the fan-self from me. I hold it like a treasure. Being a fan is a gift we get, it's love, it's something the non-fans can never feel, something we are given and they are not. And I'm very thankful for being a SW and a TF fan. I mean, if I weren't a TF fan then sleeping with my figures right at my head would mean nothing to me and it wouldn't give me any motivation. When I wake up and turn on my right side, I see them. When I turn left, I see my SW figures. It's a real treasure. Not the figures, they're just a nice piece of plastic. Not us, we're just a piece of meat. The connection between the two. Something I don't want to loose. Ever.

10. Irony

Irony fangirl

And how do they feel about TF?

11. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

If you no longer enjoy it... then don't do it. :D 

I put all my stuff in boxes because my 3 year old son loves them to pieces... literally.

I still collect... but for the most part, only buy animated. I pass on the universe stuff..on the repaints.

But I also collect Gi Joes...

Basically, collect only if you enjoy it. If you don't, then stop.

If you ever come back, everything will still be where you left it... if you don't... you can always sell them all. :D 

12. Tyjos

Twitter:
    I think I need to show you guys just how crowded my room is just to give you the sorta scale of how much stuff I have. And this is Pre-Christmas here this year I'm getting bigger stuff which I at the moment have no clue where I'll put the stuff.

My room at the moment is kinda messy slightly...just moving things around to put them in storage or adding new things to it is like having to re-arrange a whole puzzle or something.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That Falcon just is too big for my room, sure it was awesome when I got it now it's just a space hog. It's like my AT-TE I put away that's in my closet in it's box.
    [​IMG]
    Those Plastic Storage Cases all have Comics in them and the plastic shelf unit I have the first 5 Shelves are ALL Comics. Well the one with the HISS Tank on it has my Gi Joe figures which I've gotten almost EVERY Single one that's come out recently in it.
    [​IMG]
    Heck I have to resort to putting my Classics in Cases to make space on the headboard behind my bed.

This is what my room is like currently, that's part of the reason I am getting to the point of why do I need most of it, if all it does is just sit there and gain dust. In fact with so much stuff I have I have to dust regularly like every couple of weeks.

I don't have room on my walls for any more posters as well since all but maybe 2 or 3 are less than 24x36....

I'm one of those people that I can't keep money in my pocket as I've told many people
    "It burns a hole in my pocket faster than Napalm."

As for being Choosy about what Lines I want to collect, I recently have focused on EXCLUSIVES and usually completing maybe the First Wave of a Series [Cause I know those first figures usually bring in more $$$$ later on]

Right now I'm in the early stage of "Working towards Prioritizing" my collecting, with the economy the way it is just can't go binge shopping again like we could a year or so ago. At least I've managed to get most of the Animated Wave 1 + 2 Leader Classes....and all of Classics 2.0 Wave 1 [except for the Voyagers and Ultras]

I grew up pretty much being "Spoiled" in a way when it comes to collecting, my mom would always go out of her way to get me those rare exclusives or those mail away exclusives for Gi Joe or Star Wars.

So for someone who's used to being spread out collecting what I want, now being reduced to a tight spending budget it's that sudden "ARRGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I Want that but Can't get it,chances are knowing my luck I see it once and I never see it again!!"

I am probably sure most of you who collect are suffering from the economy as well and can pretty much relate to my situation.

13. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    You might want to try and just slim down what it is you collect or do as hobbies. That list you gave sounds like an awful lot of hobbies to have. I'm down to just two main hobbies now. Video Games and TF's (for collecting that is). I ditched my comic collecting, which was REALLY hard to do. I had to part ways with 40 boxes of comics.

I've also just recently got back into the Magic CCG, but have been doing really good about not being a completionist. I just play it and buy new packs every now and then. My fiance was really interested in trying it out so we spent a few bucks on new cards and went to a recent launch event. She seems to be loosing interest, so I'll probably be done with it soon.

The trick is really just knowing what your limits are, even outside of how much money you spend. How much space can you dedicate to your hobbies? How much time? How much effort? How much of any of these is too much? How do you step back once you have broken a threshold?

It can all be difficult to figure out sometimes. Especially if you are really passionate about your hobbies. Sometimes scaling back creates a stronger appreciation for what you end up continuing on with.

I've always had this personal philosophy that maintaining a fairly even balance between several activities is always the best way to go. Including spending time with the lady, and doing new things once in awhile. I can't survive by living and breathing just one topic all the time. When I am juggling a handful of activities I find that I enjoy each one of them quite a bit more then when I am hardcore neck deep in just one.

Bringing balance to the Force and all that....

14. Tyjos

Twitter:
    Well I used to be into CCG [yu gi oh I had over a 1000 Cards and tins,sold those all when I really just got tired of it]

Right now of course my Top Priorities are Comics, I try to get a FULL Complete run of Series I like cause I really really hate reading comics then finding the last issue I have ends with a big cliffhanger. I like to buy TPBs to save space, though sometimes will get individual comics for the cover artwork.

I've recently got into buying Comic Art Prints for one particular Comic Series I collect that the original Creator recently passed away [RIP Micheal Turner] but those get pretty expensive and don't buy one unless the artwork is just jawdropping, eye catching, or plain awesome.

Transformers has really done little to keep me interested there are 3 upcoming figures and maybe 1 or 2 more of the Pre-Cybertron Line figures I'd like to get then I can pretty much put that down.

Star Wars I've really stopped buying the figures and focused on the vehicles, I used to have well over 200 Figures and half of them were clones. I was big time into the clone trooper frenzy. Even went as far to buying the Star Wars Transformers ARC-170 and Republic Gunship which both looked great in Vehicle Mode.

Gi Joe has always been a favorite of mine...just was really the first toys I played with and first comics I read. That series I may feel like dropping collecting all together. Since most of the figures that come out sure they look great but really aren't worth it.

Anime is always always on my to collect list, I find more enjoyment having figures of characters I really like on display and having DVDs so I can watch the series I like whenever I want.

Sci-Fi stuff is also always on the to collect list, Stargate,Star Trek or so I like to have maybe a few things from those just to have some pieces in my big collection, those pieces I have usually are the BEST of the best the ones I really want.

Just with me it's all down to the "Do I want this or that" Question when I purchase something or it as usual is a Hyper Impulse buy...which I do have an Impulse Buying problem on some things that I just can't resist.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    My wife accepted that part of me early on, so marrying it into it was a non-issue.

My daughter... movie was cool, but that's about it. They know what the Autobot logo on my 95 Grand Prix is about.

My son- funny thing- went through a small faze... but at the ripe old age of 14 he seems to have "outgrown" it. Now all he's interested in is Destroy All Humans... altho I don't think he's completely forgotten about wanting to make a live-action Pokemon.

In short, my hobbies are a part of me, and they accept- me. The only problem is that my wife is tired about me wanting to make movies and wishes I would actually make them.

16. Irony

Irony fangirl

Start collecting SHELVES.
    Really. A friend of mine has this:
    [​IMG]
    All right no Falcon there, but he can get into his room without difficulty. When you have that much figures, you have to provide them a place to live :) 

17. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, if you are more interested in collecting other stuff, that's fair enough :) 

I do admit, though, when I see "Getting out of collecting!" sale threads in the junkion exchange forum I feel sad. Especially if that's someone who joined the boards only recently, made quite a few posts about this TF and that, and then, gone.

My son seems to have moved on, too. He's almost 10 and I can see TFs are not the centre of his toys anymore :(  (Hello, Gundam.)

My own collection wise, when I go over 500+ mark I start feeling bad about having so many, and need to let go of some.

18. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ill take the falcon!

19. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    More Or Less? Ever Get tired of Collecting?

No, never crossed my mind since the beginning.

20. Tyjos

Twitter:
    Right now I think I'm better off parting with some of my pieces in my collection. It's just I have a really bad feeling in my gut that by the end of this year I may end up having to sell most of it to make some $$$ to help pay some bills.....[due to a no good SOB Brother in Law of mine that my sister married that has caused me so many damned problems....grrrrr]

Just one of those I don't want to part with anything now but it's like my first transformers collection I took great pride in having that I had to sell off to make some $$$ to pay bills, it was a huge sacrifice I had some great Cybertron TFs in there....just now I'm beginning to restore my TF Collection to even greater glory than that one was....

If anything I may have to sell my Gi Joes or something...sigh...

-Headdesk