More interesting PS3 news?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by flamepanther, Apr 7, 2006.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=4433
    Keep in mind that this info is from an annonymous source and can't be confirmed, so I wouldn't take it as absolute fact yet.

Points I find important:

-No PS1 or PS2 memory cards or peripherals
    -The system may have more memory than announced last year.
    -Most games will NOT use 1080i or 1080p resolutions, instead opting for 720p.

Again, these can't really be confirmed.

2. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

What about Backwards Compatability? Without memory card slots, how will we get at our PS1 and 2 game saves? I really don't want to have to unlock everything in all my games again.

3. flamepanther

It's speculated that third parties will probably make transfer devices. Of course you would have to pay for these.

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

does the PS3 games use memory cards...if not that sucks....i cant bring my card to my brothers place and place it there (ie. i dont what to bring my PS3 where ever i go)

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm sure Sony will just invent a new standard that people will have to buy into, like UMD. Money grubbing bastards.

Although, if it used the PSP memory cards, that would be good for people with PSPs.

6. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Meh. I dont have a PS2 memory card, and my PS1 memory card is MIA. No biggie, no real data on it. And I saw the 720p games coming a mile away :p 

7. Big Nine

Big Nine <font color= pink><b>Pink Soul<br>'Weak Humanoid G Veteran

I don't know, the non use of previous gen mem cards has been a rumor for a long time. If this is the case though, it is one less reason for me to upgrade to a new system...

8. flamepanther

I just think it's ironic, considering the number of people I've seen bitch about the fact that the Revolution isn't planned to support 1080 p or i output. Maybe in another five years it will actually matter. :rolleyes: 

9. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Hmm sounds fishy compared to some news I've heard ( PS3 being multi-regional is just one of them)

10. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Actually, didn't Sony say it'll play PS2 but not PSX games? I'm pretty sure this is just bullshit.

11. flamepanther

Not unless they've downgraded it. or lied about it previously.
    Source

It may turn out to be, but it sounds pretty plausible. Especially since not all the news is bad.

12. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    the ps3 has a memory stick duo slot.... so its all good

13. flamepanther

As long as you don't need your PS1/2 saves.

14. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    You know I have to say (for me at lest) backwards compatibility is over rated. The only time I ever really used it was with the GBA to past GBs and DS to GBA. In just about every other case I moved on and rarely looked back.

So assuming the PS3 is something I can afford if it can or can’t use old memory cards is irrelevant.

15. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I dont know where you have gotten your info but ther isnt a single game on game cube that runs past 480P and very few games run higher than 480i

Miyamoto or one of the other big wigs at nintendo said all revolution games would support 480P and I am pretty sure the fact or at least implication was that it would't go any higher than 480p. I dont know where you got the 800p number from its certainly not standard for rgbhv/Vga or YPbPr/YUV/component

More on point that source sounds bogus
    -its rare for computer monitor to support interlaced scanning
    -720i is neither an SDTV, EDTV, or HDTV resolution

There is no reason to support 720i output what so ever...

Sounds like some hater made it all up

16. flamepanther

Sorry. The resulotuion mess-ups are my fault, not the article's... and also somewhat yours for not following the link and reading the article yourself.

The article doesn't actually mention a 720i resolution. I don't know why I thought that was there.

The GC info was entirely my fault because I didn't double-check my info. First, not being an HDTV owner, I misunderstood HD resolution notation. I understand "i" and "p" for interlaced and progressive, but for some reason I assumed the number represented the width of the screen in pixels rather than the height, since the width is the first part of the notation for computer monitors. So to start with, that would mean that I was actually thinking 800x600, which I now suppose would be 600p? That's what I was told the resolution was when I saw GC games running on a VGA monitor. If that's incorrect and it was actually 640x480, then it was 640x480 with really good antialiasing, because I know what 640x480 normally looks like. I do at least know that everything I've seen running hi-res on a GameCube was definately progressive, NOT interlaced. Otherwise it would not have displayed correctly on the monitor that was being used.

My apologies for the incorrect info. I'll edit my initial post to fix it.

17. flamepanther

It was certainly important to early adopters of the PS2. Otherwise they were pretty much stuck playing Fantavision and The Bouncer. Then again, being an early adopter of a console when you know there aren't any good games yet is kinda dumb.

18. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    But this assumes every one eminently gets rid of there old system the moment they get the new one. I still have my PSX, Xbox, and N64 along with other others. Up until PS2 I spent my whole gaming life with out backwards compatibility and got along just fine. It’s a nice little extra to have but look at 360 where not all games are supported, I don’t see any massive out rage about not being able to play all the old games just some mild disappointment.

19. flamepanther

Oh, I understand where you're coming from, or I wouldn't have a collection of twelve game consoles. It's just that when the news about the 360's imperfect support came out, Sony was quick to point out that the PS3's backward support would be perfect because it was hardware-based and not emulated. If they're going to promise shit like that, they should follow through on it. Requiring an adaptor for special input devices and a transfer device for memory cards is hardly perfect out-of-the-box compatibility. Also, unfortunately, there are a lot of people who do sell or otherwise get rid of their old consoles when they buy a new one and refuse to own more than one console (not always their fault, since a lot of non-gaming parents enforce this on their kids). It seems to me that this is who Sony originally introduced backward compatibility for in the first place.

20. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

No problem, I mean I am to blame as well lol. As for the game cube that was hooked up to the monitor, are you sure there wasnt an ntsc to vga converter being used? I am almost sure there is no official cube to vga adaptor. I think the only consoles to support that officially were Dreamcast(640x480p) and 360.

If the setup in question utilised some kind YPbPr to vga transcoder and the games ran at 480p that might explain why it looked a bit better that 640x480p because the hd 480p is actually 720x480p