Customs: More Gunslingers in the works...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ramrider, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Well, with Salvo up for sale, Dustup and Vantage's new test prints currently in production (hopefully due to arrive with me early next week), and Mayhem temporarily on hold while I wait to see if the hood mount works (thanks for that idea, Nemesisspringer! ;) ), I figured it was time to start on the last "urgently needed" homage Gunslinger, who goes by the moniker of Backlash. If you're not quite sure who he's an homage to... *coughhintcough*

He'll transform a hair different to the original, since attaching gun barrels like those to his legs would kill his knee articulation, so I'm attaching them to his back instead. Personally, I think the barrels look better mounted lower on the gun anyway. The legs simply use their natural articulation to fold up like that, the lower legs rotating round on their ball joint to finish shin-side up.
    He's pretty close to done; I basically need to detail his legs and back, mount the hinges for his gun barrels (and bracket the barrels together), and add his handle. If Dustup's experimental clip-peg works out okay, he'll be getting one of those (at least as an included option), so he can be mounted on certain people's truck modes... ;) 

C&C welcome. :D 

Attached Files:

2. megatronatlas

megatronatlas Well-Known Member

real cool...my credit card isnt going to like you soon :D 

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Well, a bit simplistic really, especially after Salvo, but it's alright. Probably won't buy one, though, because I needs more money to test my stuff. ;) 

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Aww... and here I was hoping your credit card and I were going to become close friends... :p 

Fair enough, you save your money; I don't plan for him to be going anywhere for a while, so you can change your mind anytime... ;) 

He certainly is quite simplistic; believe me, when you're working at this kind of scale, you don't want to make things more complicated than they have to be! :p  Bear in mind the key things I'm going for here are a) resemblance to the original, and b) decent articulation in robot mode. They also want to be as sturdy as possible, and easy assembled - and unnecessarily tiny parts don't help either of those causes..!
    I think he's working out fairly faithfully so far (as I said, his legs haven't been built up properly just yet), and he'll have 9 points of articulation, all balljoints (I may also include a waist pivot if he's got the space for one).

Others, like Vantage (the sniper rifle) and Blowback (the Tommy gun) will be fairly complex by necessity, but the likes of Dustup, Mayhem and Backlash, not so much.

5. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Loving these guys. As soon as I have some of my student funds put aside, I'll see about picking some up.

In the Thunderwing thread you pointed me towards Sketchup and Blender, have had a go and I find Sketchup, more user friendly, but a bit limited in what it can do, though thats down to my inexperience with it I'll wager. And Blender for the moment is a bit beyond me. Leads me to appreciate your work more. But I may have to put some time into it as it offers some great ways to produce important parts that just aren't available.

This gunslinger looks like he'll be the business when he's done. You've lots of surface to graft detail on, though I expect its limited by the printers ability to reproduce it, looking forward to the end result.

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks.
    I think SketchUp does have its limitations, some of which can be circumnavigated by the addition of plug-ins (as Treadshot seems to be discovering :) ); Blender seems to be the more versatile of the two programs, but does have a steep learning curve (don't worry, I haven't been able to get past the user interface either! :p ). I definitely recommend exploring a bit (try several programs to see what you like best - another one I'm starting to play with is TrueSpace, and there are plenty of other free programs out there if you're willing to look for them); as you said, the possibilities make it well worth the effort! :) 

The printers aren't as limited as you might think. Shapeways' WSF prints, for instance, can handle details down to 0.2mm. And the printing process actually allows it to produce parts that might be difficult to create through some other means like casting.

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot is discovering a lot of things. Like how to import and export with Blender, etc.

I think the main problem i have with Blender is that it doesn't have a units interface. As in, while it has a units-based system within it's programming to keep track of what is where, it doesn't let you input measurements yourself. In Sketchup, you draw a line, punch in 10 on your numpad, and you get a 10mm line (or 10", depending on template). Blender is much better for nature-based stuff or any circumstance where exact dimensions are not necessary. Like if you're drawing balloons or something. When it comes to engineering and 3D Design, my reaction to blender is "F*** it, back to Sketchup".

I agree with dsn that you have a lot of room to play with when it comes to adding detail, so you should probably go for it. As of now, i wouldn't by one, it's just too simplistic, and i can make a simliar design for relatively little work. Once you add all the little details, then i'd consider it.

I'll add here that i think if anyone wants to use Sketchup, there aren't many plugins that you need. Only 1 have i found to be absolutely essential right now, and that is RoundCorner. You can find it on SketchUcation, and you need to also install Fredo6 (which is like a program hub thing that the guy who writes these programs has made essential for all his plugins). Without RoundCorner, the designs end up looking a bit...well, not very professional is how i'd put it. Being able to blend edges and corners is very useful, if not a necessity.

8. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hes looking really good already. You are doing an amazing job with these targetmasters. :thumb 

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

If memory serves, you can also, inependently of the template, input units as and when you type in the value. For instance, one line could be typed in as 10cm, and the next as 4"; I think the templates dictate a default unit, but I'd assume you can use others intermingled with it if you want.

Ah, you were referring to simplicity of details rather than transformation. That's fair enough - there's a reason this is a WiP. :p  I plan to mock him up as closely to Recoil as possible (or sensible) to start with. But yeah, a lot of Recoil's surfaces are pretty plain, so I daresay I'll be adding a few extra details to add some more visual interest to him. :) 

In addition to filleting (which is what the edge-smoothing RoundCorner does is called), chamfering is also very useful; this is basically creating a bevelled edge, a little more tech-looking than a fillet, but less severe than a straight 90 degree corner. I don't know if you'd need a plugin to achieve the effect (I'd suspect not), but it's a technique well worth employing for the same sort of purpose.

Thankye kindly sir. I aim to please. :D  But ssshhhh... they're called Gunslingers... :confused2 

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Quick update on how Backlash is looking. His lower legs have been bulked out significantly now, and his thighs are more detailed. I've also started subtracting the sockets for his joints.
    I still plan to do more detailing on his arms and lower legs, but most of the work left to do now is on bulking out and detailing his back.

Anyway, to bed now, I think. I have an interesting delivery due in the morning... :ev: 

Attached Files:

11. Treadshot A1

Not bad. Bit more detail and this guy will rock. :) 

12. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Nice job on this, he looks great, loving all the different clearances you've added so the articulation will move smoothly.

13. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh wow this guy is looking great now you have added the detail also just a word of warning that the clip will have to be sideways as kup's mounting bars go accross his vehicle mode unlike scourge's

Attached Files:

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks. :) 
    And yeah, I know. Odds are I'll actually include both a clip handle and a normal 5mm peg in the kit, so that you have the option of not having the clip. That's what I did for my Dustup test-print, just in case the clip didn't work. Glue the handle in with a dot of superglue and it feels like it was moulded in place.

15. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TBH he will probably be spending most of his time manning kup's existing gun in vehicle mode when i get them both but its really nice to have the option to mount them all in vhicle mode

16. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Well, I'm designing them for playability, so I want them to be able to do everything you might want an official version to do. I'm essentially designing figures I want myself, and I like to play. ;) 

Ooh, maybe you could get two, and have him manning himself! :D 

17. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    These are awesome man

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Quick update. Backlash is well on the way now; I've added a fair bit more detail to him now. I think I just need to add a few more panel lines and cut out some slots to save material (he's already got chunks out of his back, and the backs of his legs, but I'm going to take some plastic out of the inner arms and inner thighs too, as well as the underside of the gun barrels), and I think he'll be ready to sprue up for test-printing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up we have a first showing of Truncheon. Transformation-wise, he's actually going to steal a lot from Dustup, except that he'll essentially be upside-down in comparison (where Dustup's legs end up on top in gun mode, Truncheon's will be underneath with the handle attached via a hinged panel like Vantage). The head's just a placeholder stolen from Backlash; I'll be modelling him an entirely new one in due course.

[​IMG]

And there's Mayhem. Like Backlash, his transformation's particularly simple (twist head and lower legs round 180 degrees, fold the legs up and the gun barrel down), though as with as many of my 'bots as possible, his articulation will be great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His gimmick will be the tab system mounted on his back, which I'm currently experimenting with:

[​IMG]

The idea is that he'll be able to fit between the opened halves of Gen. Blurr's bonnet in vehicle mode, using the tabs to grip between the clips that normally hold the bonnet together, sorta like this:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Awesome stuff man can't waitmto see them In plastic form

20. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks, Megs - nor can I. :p  Hopefully I should be ready to order Backlash and Truncheon pretty soon, along with an updated tester for Mayhem's back clip (no point in ordering the whole fig yet, as there's not much need for testing with him except for the clip itself; when that works, then I'll incorporate it and test the whole fig).