More "CHUG" 3rd party than Bayverse...what to take from it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by supervir2, Jun 9, 2011.

1. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    I was just thinking about 3rd party offerings and what toys they relate to. Clearly, the VAST majority of them are centered on CHUG (or G1 if you count alts and MP's). There was a Unicron.com set for Animated and some for BW/BM. The only Bayverse bits I can think of are the Optimus cannon from Gears of War 2 (sold w/ other non-Bayverse bits) and the possibly upcoming Leader Starscream add-on thrusters and weapon. If you want, you could count a handful of Shapeways efforts for hands, etc.

Is this indicative of a huge gap in fan interest between the two? Alternatively, do you think it simply means there is less opportunity to tweak/fill in gaps in the Bay-verse? Is CHUG easier to design? All of the above?

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    -Alot of collectors have been around for very long and are generally more interested in G1-inspired stuff.
    -Alot of G1 bots are outdated and could use some upgrades to make them a bit more modern.
    -Some G1-inspired newer toys lack some of the things that made the only G1 versions cool (like trailers, etc).

I think it's only logical, but I wouldn't say there is no interest in upgrades for things like Bayformers. Personally, I'd love to get some stuff to upgrade my movie Devastator or something like that. :) 

3. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think it's because the movie TFs are newer, compared to the G1/Classics. Give it a few years, and we may start seeing upgrade kits for movie figures.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    What to take from it is that thank God we have CHOICES in collection so not everyone's collection looks the same.

5. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The thing I'd take from it would be that that g1 upgrades sell better than
    bayformer upgrades

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think collectively, we have far less expectations with movie toys. We've had over 25 years to come up with nitpicks over G1 characters, whereas the movie is and entirely new thing with only glancing references to G1, and therefore we allow it a greater deal of flexibility and interpretation.

7. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I think you hit it. Also, I think the complexity of the Bayverse designs makes it more of a challenge to create upgrades for them...

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it's a bit easier for the 3rd party companies with Classics style figures because characters just see one release so it would be easier to make an add on for say deluxe Classic Bumblebee because there is just the first mold and the War for Cybertron mold instead of all the different molds for movie Bumblebee.

All the Classics repaints means that if they wanted to 3rd party companies could get more out of their molds by offering repaints of the add on kits.

I think the Classic style also provides opportunity in that the releases don't come out that quickly from Hasbro and you have rather dead periods for releases when Hasbro is focused so heavily on the movies. So if you are just collected Classics figures you've got long periods of nothing new when you might consider spending money on things to make your collection look even better.

With more characters than the movies the Classics style also has so many characters that are in demand that Hasbro can't get to quickly that there is a market for things like Constucticons that Hasbro isn't filling so fans are willing to shell out extra to fill those gaps in their collection. Just not that many character gaps for robots in the movies that had some sort of speaking role.

Going back to the one release thing you can always hope that a better looking movie figure might come along but with the Classics figures if there is something you don't like about a release your only option is a 3rd party add on because Hasbro isn't doing that character again unless you are someone like Prime or Megatron.

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    A third party can drive people nuts if they stated "BUMBLEBEE UPGRADE!" but don't tell you which mold.

10. Grandum

News Credits:
    I haven't got any facts to back it up, but generally speaking I'd say that g1 collectors are older than bayformers collectors and have have more disposable income, which means they can spend $40 for an upgrade without it having a great impact on their economy, where as someone younger might not and even if he would, would risk Hasbro releasing something that adressed whatever was upgraded with the next version of the toy.

This doesn't apply to ALL g1 collectors and ALL bayformers collectors of course, but I think it applies to the broader masses.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

If I were a "Third Party" company, I'd rather risk a C&D order and/or Copyright/Trademark Infringment from Hasbro than to risk the same from Hasbro and Paramount.

12. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So far the toy offerings for the "bayverse" lines far outweigh what's been onscreen - in most cases you have many many sizes, mold options, and deco options to choose from, each one is nicely articulated and in some way resembles their onscreen/comic/whatever look. There just aren't that many holes in the line to fill. On the other hand, the G1-inspired stuff has a lot of room - Hasbro has been good to us, but there's still a lot of ground that can be covered - more accurate to the show/comic, more articulation than the old toys, etc. I would love to say "naw, bay stuff sux, that's why the third parties avoid it", but there's probably more logic than emotion to it.

13. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

I personally think this is incredibly unlikely. ROTF toys may be a big winner in the stores and with the kids, but those kids don't have 30$ to drop on a new headsculpt they would have to ship to them from China.

And besides, the engineering on the movie toys already strives to be accurate to the on screen characters as much as possible.

If anything I think the 3rd party stuff will peak in the later part of this year. Slowly Has/Tak are plugging the Classics holes, and there are less big market ideas to capitalize on. If the not-Devy turns out to be a success it will open the doors to larger scale projects, but many of these smaller operations don't have the nerve or money to go after that. I personally think Not-Devy will not be as successful as people think, the figures are just too expensive. I think it will be the first time we start to see the upper ceiling of this market. Sure some people will pay it and be fine with it, but if you consider the attractiveness of FP products and FP price points, if you swing too far away from that your # of sales will slip, which would be important to keeping figure costs down and justifying larger production runs.

If i was a 3rd part company, I would strike while the iron was hot... plug all the classics holes before Hasbro can catch up, maybe take a swing at a popular combiner or comic book team, and then exit. The ones who stick around and try to create original characters and original combiners I don't think will succeed. I appreciate that they are trying to generate new things to the Fandom, but I doubt I am alone in saying that I have no interest in new canon that is not hasbro canon. Just give me the figures of the characters i grew up with, and it will be good for both of us.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Paramount could be the sticky point since media companies seem to be a bit on the crazy side when it comes to something related to their products.

If movie studios are willing to sue for an insane amount for downloading a bit torrent of their film then who knows how much they would want to sue for if they felt like a 3rd party Transformers company somehow cheated them out of a royalty fee related to a toy line.

15. Grandum

News Credits:
    ever been to china? You can buy burned dvds of stuff that was just released in cinemas all over the place, It doesn't matter what company is involved if it's a copyright infringement in china - you will get away with it.

16. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm sure there will be a demand for 3P stuff over the movie line. Whether it'll be at the level of G1 or Classsics remains to be seen. I think the demand for the latter is far greater.

17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Movie fans are happy with movie toys.

G1 fans have always wanted more than what HASBRO was willing to deliver.

Plus, 3rd Party seems to be more passion driven, where the movie toys are more corporate driven.

18. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I would not doubt that in a few years- when the current movie lines evaporate- that some characters who did not receive enough corporate love according to the collectors will be done better by the 3rd Parties; and expect them to be expensive as hell.

19. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    25 years ago, someone may have said the same thing about the G1 toys, but today we have upgrades for G1 Rumble/Frenzy, Devastator, Superion, ect. 20 years from now, someone might want to upgrade their Voyager Class Ironhide. you never know.

Even if it's an add on?

20. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    not to mention its "safer" to remake G1s. We probably wont see a proper G1 Devastator from Hasbro for a looooong time. same for guys like Springer, Insecticons, etc. Movie is still fresh and new. Go and start selling 3rd party Optimus Primes or something and watch them pounce on you. Only thing you could maybe get away wth are custom Bonecrushers and Blackouts. maybe. Like that.