More AOE Designer'S Desk Videos!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by LoC Soundwave, Jun 10, 2014.

1. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Leader Jetfire in Grimlocks vid.

3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Prime/Meg/Bee/SS completist

News Credits:
    "You see that gold? We want to scream Grimlock. Even if he has not gold at all in the movie."

And the bit about rubber parts "enhancing" the play experience... riiiiiight.

4. Yaujta

Yaujta NOT Randy Butternubs. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm sure kids would appreciate bendable rubber pieces over easily breakable plastic ones. The rubbery plastic is also the only safe way to get parts like Scorn's back fins, Slash's tail and Slug's horns to retail.

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sorry for bringing this up however whenever they talk about rubber or how they had to choose the 'right kind of plastic' it feels like their way of saying that they cut costs and got cheap and weaker material.

The fact they purposefully went and chose Gold for Grimlock despite it not accurately representing his movie version just pisses me off also - its like they were just looking for whatever colour they had tons of spare.

Hound;
    As for hound the 'bending' arm gimmick seems a bit silly for me, it means that it'll get a lot of wear and tear on the arms - its also disappointing because it means the arms are rubbery.

The head articulation seems massively limited by the beard and its pretty obvious that they could have fixed this but chose to just make his beard more flexible - however it still only gives him a max of 45% head articulation.

====

Just looking at these toys repulses me;
    - the flimsy nature of Grimlock's jaw
    - the 'head reveal' gimmick just re-used from the 2007 Optimus
    - the fact that speak about the articulation as if its something brand new ¬_¬

Urgh. Anyway, rant over, wont be buying any of these so its Hasbro's loss

Sorry, but the generations line is meant to be targeted at teenagers and adults - not for kids. So things such as the spikes don't need to be the silly rubbery plastic that bends. I mean the child-targeted toy has more harder plastic than the generations toys. You could stab someone in the eye with that tail for gods sake and we (the older TF fans) get stuck with rubbery plastic spikes that will bend and warp;

[​IMG]

6. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Moderator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    ^ eh well I already bought 2 of a few of them, so I guess that makes up for it lol

I really enjoy these behind the scenes looks. I do wish we could see more reasons why some things were done (especially on shellformer Optimus), but I did learn a few new things- totally did not realize Drift could store his swords under his backpack while in robot mode.

The gold on Grimlock doesn't bother me, as I prefer color over a mass of greys and blacks. Perhaps green would have been more accurate to the movie, though.

Edit: And sad to see they used so much ABS plastic- only because that stuff is hard as frick to dye without pitting the surface.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  7. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land" TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So thats how drift's swords store.

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh, I was an excessive collector of Transformers toys and as such I doubt you're purchase would cover how many I used to purchase from each wave. I tended to purchase multiple copies of the best toys from each wave as such I have 7 ROTF Optimus Prime's for example (One still in pieces from an attempted custom)

Regardless if its essentially cutting out your core audience (Which is pretty much those with the money to purchase the toys) then they are doing something wrong - and as much as you would like to say it you have to admit their has been a quality drop in the toy lines.

I mean if they focused an entire line on the adults or older fans as the generations line was supposed to be then i could justify the cost - however compare Hound to Grimlock OR Drift to Snarl and you'll realise that several of the figures are just not up to the same standard in terms of complexity (Even if they are marketed at the same price)

9. EnergonWaffles

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I was teasing you, man. There's no way one person can make up for the amount of disappointment over this line lol.

It'll be interesting to see how sales do once the movie comes out, because it's flipped this time around. For, say, ROTF, the toyline sold itself despite the movie not being well received. This time, I'm thinking the movie is going to have to sell the toyline.

Really makes me wish the Dinobots had been done back in ROTF days- imagine how much larger they'd be.

10. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Regardless of who generally buys them, Generation figures are still toys and have to follow the same guidelines that all toys have to follow. I don't know the rules/laws about toys, but regardless if they are reasonable or not, Hasbro still has to follow them.

It comes down to do you want to have the figure with rubber parts or no figure at all. If it's the latter, then all you have to do is simply not buy it. Those of us that don't care about a little rubber on the figures will continue to buy them.

11. EnergonWaffles

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Depends on where they put the rubber imho.

Like, on TFP Voyager Predaking, having rubber horns was a bad idea imo, as the transformation requires his head to smush the horns, and they warp over time.

But so far it seems like the rubber on the AOE figs doesn't have that problem. At least, from what I can tell so far. The only one I'm nervous about is Crosshairs' rubber coat flaps.

12. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Wow, aren't you a ray of sunshine. If the toys 'repulse' you, you've got deeper issues than just not liking those toys.

Also, have you messed with Grimlock at all? 'The flimsiness of the jaw'? It's not flimsy at all.

Safety regulations for the toy industry. Sure, the 'target' audience is teenagers and adults, but if it's a mass retail line aimed at a general audience, they're held to the same safety standards as any other toy. Otherwise, you'd be forced to go to specialty shops to get the Generations figures. Small spiky parts are generally made of rubbery plastic to keep injuries down, and larger spikes made of hard plastic are, more often than not, rounded to avoid major injury. Can you still hurt yourself? Yes, but you can also hurt yourself with wooden blocks. Short of a pillow, everything's going to have a 'risk' in that regard (and you can suffocate on a pillow, so that's that).

Also, where on the package or in Hasbro's mission statement for Generations does it say 'not for kids'? It's intended for older collectors, but are you telling me that if an eight-year-old wants a Voyager Hound, it's tough shit for him? Damn, glad you're in charge of determining that. Don't know what we'd do without you. :rolleyes2 

13. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land" TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agreed, if anything the kid are buying more generations than we are, as none of the stores around here seem to be able to keep them in stock. While the "kids" versions are clogging shelves all over town.

14. mttyns

mttyns Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's why we love him :)  ;) 

15. Yaujta

Yaujta NOT Randy Butternubs. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My daughter LOVES the Generations stuff, and has her own set of the Dinobots. She also plays with Drift and Crosshairs.
    Does this mean I should take them away from her and force the stuff aimed at kids on her? Too bad she thinks those are boring.

I can agree that a few of the figures are technically better than others, but SO WHAT. Hound and Evasion Optimus are a lot more complex than Grimlock and Galvatron, but that doesn't take away the enjoyment that older fans AND kids have with them.

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The designers should really stop making these videos under the assumption that there is an engaged and civil community of Transformers fans, because empirical evidence has not really borne that out.

17. mttyns

mttyns Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Glad I watched the Drift one - after seeing it I checked to see where the longer swords store on his back in bot mode and found the tabs that the slits in the swords ft into. Job done!

18. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Pretty much.

19. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

Hound looks neat.
    Also... uggh, another person who doesn't understand the meaning of literally. Hounds does not "literally" transform from a tank to a robot.

20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I love these "from the designer" videos. I just hope in the future they expand on them more to include more actual behind the scenes stuff.