Morality of mixing and matching part from different variants...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fragmare, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Fragmare

Fragmare Desert Dog

Ebay:
    How does everybody here feel about using parts from variants of the same figure to complete another? I've currently got a complete ~C85 TRU Commemorative reissue of G1 Optimus Prime. I love it, but what I *really* want is a complete pre-rub G1 figure. So I went scouting around on eBay and found a really good deal on pre-rub G1 Optimus that is essentially just the cab figure (with intact smokestacks) and the trailer (the variant with die-cast metal plates inside) but with no door. I was planning on "frankensteining" the pre-rub figure to completion by using all the accessories, trailer door and any other parts that might need replacing from my complete TRU figure. I'd then sell my incomplete TRU reissue on eBay for parts.

I did something similar with Devastator a while back. I had all the Constructicons left from my childhood, but no accessories whatsoever. I ended up buying one of those high quality KO sets and using all the parts from that to complete Devastator (I guess I lucked out in that the KO parts fit my variant of Devastator quite nicely). Now the KO cons sit in a box in my room, while the frankensteined-together Devy is on display in my collection.

Does this strike anybody here as TF sacrilege? Honestly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, since I just want them complete so they can be displayed properly. Keep in mind, it would only be for my collection. I would have no intention of reselling the newly completed figure and trying to pass it off as 100% vintage parts. Let's see how everybody else weighs in, though...

2. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I have no problem with it at all.

3. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They're toys dude :D 

It's only immoral when you take them from a child :p 

4. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

What's it to do with morality? If you can pull it off and complete a figure otherwise would cost you a small fortune, this is how you should feel:

"It's Alive!!!"
    [​IMG]

Well it's immoral when you broke figure so you go buy another one at retail just to steal&swap the broken part and then return it to the shop. I believe i saw people bragging about this action.

5. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

I think it might only be an issue if you were trying to sell it and not being honest claiming it was all the original. Having it for your own personal collection isn't a problem.

6. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I think it might only be an...

oh, beat me to it :)  This.

7. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I actually highly offended by the idea in the opening post. Personally, I think the government should fine such actions. The mix and match fine: $2000

8. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    IMHO it's only an issue if you were one of those guys who swap out the new figure to get all the parts you want and then return an old one with mismatched parts...

9. Mewtwo

:wink: 

10. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    i have all three variants of DOTM shockwave....and was thinking of mixing parts to make one with the best colors, etc.

11. VE Telus

VE Telus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not a morality issue, but I know where the OP is coming from. It doesn't feel right for me, as a collector, to mix-and-match. The Frankensteined result is a figure I would put with my customs, but not with the rest of the G1 collection.

12. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't. For me, a vintage collector means having vintage figures and parts. I couldn't accept having a reissue figure as my sole version and still call it vintage. I consider the same for parts. If I had a vintage figure, fitting it with reissue parts wouldn't entirely make it vintage anymore, would it? I have nothing against having official reissue figures though, i just want to clarify. Just against the mixing and matching.

Now, as for KOs, that's terrible. Hypothetically, if you died, your inheritors won't know what's real or KO, and just end up passing it off as the real deal to some unknowledgeable fan. And that's wrong.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

The only figure I have that is a mix-n-match deal is my "Hybrid" G1 Prowl. He's got the body, weapons, and passenger side door of a 2003 Re-issue, a yellowed and slightly loose fitting driver's side door (with original sticker), and all non-factory applied stickers are Reprolabels.

So, essentially my Prowl has mismatching doors (the original sticker used a FAR darker blue for the shield emblem than the re-issue) and technically incorrect "hip" stickers (the re-issue has slightly different stickers compared to the original, and Reprolabels are based on the latter).

But, I don't really care that he's a little bit of a Frankenstien, as he was a gift from a friend and was my first true G1 figure, so I'm glad to have him complete.

14. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Dammit!

15. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See... what he said is the only condition where it'd be a real problem. If you were intending on selling it as a purely vintage G1 figure... then it'd be WRONG as well... you now have it mixed with parts of a Reissued figure.

But for the sake of one's personal collection? Nah... consider it a restoration of sorts I guess.

16. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    See if I wasn`t so lazy, this is where I`d make an animated gif of myself running through TRU & snatching a toy outa some little kid`s hand before making a sharp right.

17. Mewtwo

I should make what I was saying a little more clear I guess.

I meant morally I don't think it's wrong if that is what you want to do. The only way it would mostly be immoral is if you were trying to lie and sell it as fully original.

Personally I probably wouldn't. Because as others have mentioned I would want to know the G1 I have is all G1. (If that makes sense). But then again.. maybe if it was just a missile or a fist or something and it was bothering me to not have it maybe I would use it as a fill in. Maybe till I could get a replacement. Then again I don't know. I guess I could only decide that at the time.

I just don't think there is personally anything wrong with it if you are ok with it. It's really up to you and how you feel.

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the door is a different size on the metal plate trailer, the regular prime door won't stay closed at the top, and the cab is an entirely different mold, i tried frankensteining a pre-rub and a later version together before i got my second one. so you might have better luck finding parts for that release

19. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Not a problem with most people.

20. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  That would be awesome. Of course, you would have to prove you gave it back to the kid though :p