Monster Hunter

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Argroh Valdios, Nov 30, 2009.

1. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

rathian. she doesn't feel old school at all. i remember the first one i killed in TRI, thinking this was going to be too easy, then she clobbered me on the floor. that was over a year now. i was actually rooting for her entire species while i was on the ground since in past games she was a pushover. here i was thinking her species was already wiped out then out comes the revengeful fangs. capcom i love you for making this game entirely refreshing again. i just captured the second one i've encoutered. cut the tail for good measure. :D  then the wife yells: time for zelda. LOL

2. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Despite getting other games I've been finding myself coming back to MHTri recently. I just opened up the Volcano environment and I really can't help but wish this was available on an HD console in North America because the visuals really are gorgeous.

Now I just need one more Lagriacrus horn to get my complete low rank L. armor set :) 

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I just recently attained high rank in tri online and it's been a pretty startling 180, going into elite quests - not referring to the quests themselves, but rather the people playing them. Cripes, it's like a yellow name comes with a heaping of egoism and asshattery :( . I'm not referring to everyone, obviously, but I literally hadn't had ANY seriously bad online experiences playing Tri prior to last night when it was just a string of douchebags, badmouthing showoffs, and guys who seemed to have nothing better to do than to go out of their way and try and hammer slam me into lava, off of cliffs, and into poison clouds and laugh about my "noob gear" (a HR31 player still equipped with low rank stuff? Shocking!).

Oh well. Hopefully it was just an unlucky string of unlikely coincidences.

4. seali_me

Now playing Monster Hunter Portable 3rd.

I've been playing it at work too. I remember back in the day where I could juggle an irate customer and kill a couple of Fatalis.

5. seali_me

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is the 3D really bad on MH3DS?

I really want the 3DS one, but I'm not buying an add-on to play one game.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  7. seali_me

I gave it a minute or two and my eyes started hurting. One hunt in this game will probably leave you blind or something.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sometimes game developers set the cross hatch too high and it makes the 3D very uncomfortable, even if the slider it lowered. This is especially the case if characters or things are in the +Z area. Is this the only game that causes that?

9. seali_me

I just reread it. I haven't bought it yet. Once stores have it. I probably will. Another excuse to buy 3DS is mario games for the wife.

I tried the 3DS in stores when it first came out.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The two Mario games on it are excellent (Mario 3D and Kart). Those have a very smooth 3D, but I have played games where the actual game itself has very warped 3D, and not even the slider helps.

11. seali_me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I'm in MH fans!

Hunting mode!

12. seali_me

13. seali_me

14. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for directing me here Seali!

Got into MH3U after watching videos and playing the demo on my DS. Could not believe I hadn't played this before now, incredible game and very challenging.

I play mainly solo, and am a bit of an armor collector.
    Just finished a couple really difficult hunts, one against 2 Qpecos who kept calling a Devilhjo and another against a Rathian and Rathalos. Didn't think that one would be too hard until you get them both in the same area.

Little tip that I just figured out, if you need a specific part and aren't getting it on the hunts, capture instead of kill. Seems to help with the more desirable rewards.

15. seali_me

Yeah the armour are quite enjoyable to collect. Pride and prestige on your back. Playing solo myself this entire time, no one else really sees it but me. That's all I need.

It's been so long maybe I've forgotten but plate and ruby runs back in the day never did pop up in capture hunts.

Here. LOL
    MONSTERS of monster hunter. Plate runs - YouTube

and also give me any other difficult hunts but those fucking eggs.

But you can kill everyone in the area if you want too as well. Wyverns included. LOL

Also the popular nyan nyan seeker cats came from those annoying little cats while downloading something in the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  16. RustyBarnacles

News Credits:
    Anyone know how to get passed the damn desire engine?

17. RustyBarnacles

News Credits:
    Reviving a 3 year old thread.

With the upcoming MH4U coming out for the new 3DS, I picked up MH3U again after putting it down for quite some time.

Finally took down a Brachiados and now I want the armor so I'm going back at it.

I still cannot manage to take down the Jhem Moran.

I had been attempting to get the materials necessary to upgrade the binding Roller and Dragonmaiden Axe as well. I decided to tackle the Dragonmaiden Axe first and the only thing that was eluding me was a Rathian Plate.

After 11 or 12 Rathian hunts, I finally got the plate. I'd been working on that for a few months before putting the game down.

I would have liked a little more story in the game though. I think with some in depth story to have built some definition in the characters that are encountered in the village would have been enough to have made me not put this game down for so long.

Anyway, I am really excited for the new game slated for 2/13. The changes that they've made are great additions.

Anyone have any tips on taking down the Jhem Moran, let me know, lol.

18. seali_me

There's a bit of story but even then I remember just skipping the story and just getting into the action.

You're alone in this one for now. I haven't touched Monster Hunter since my son was born. :lol 

He's turning 3. :) 

So I haven't even fought him

HOWEVER...

He's similar to Lao-Shan lung due to his size (back in my day) and I bet you're not making him stagger enough. I had a similar problem in the beginning of Lao-Shun Lung but like most monster when all else fails try to damage every part of him. You'll notice weakness points where you can see immediate damage then concentrate of those parts. From what I remember huge and real dragons, maybe some wyverns, are weak to dragon elemental. Are you using every possible huge weapon as well? Those are key. Key is to make him stagger which will eventually slow him down then at some kill him.

For plates, rubies etc. Cutting the tail and knowing which hunts provide you the higher rate of getting one.

From a

semi-retired hunter

i'll probably still buy a new 3DS AND the MH4U. LOL

19. RustyBarnacles

News Credits:
    Thanks seali! After the Caedus the story has been pretty much non-existent.

Though now I am working on building stronger weapons to take down the jhem Moran. I actually made some progress cracking a few parts on the last run. The problem is the first half of the battle you're on a dragon ship. You can't use your weapon, rather you have to use canons and ballista guns and you have one shot to hit it with a really big spike off the bow of the ship.

In any case I've just been going on random hunts in order to beat the desire engine and upgrading like crazy. I think my biggest problem was speeding through the quests and not focusing on the core upgrades in order to complete the later, more difficult quests.

UPDATE: Proud to say I finally cleared all single player missions on MH3U. Damn desire engine. I still have the "multi" solo missions left in the Tanzia port so I may pick it up again to finish those off. I am a tooth away from completing the Deviljho armor and weapon set. Though I'm not looking forward to taking it on again. The Ivory Lagiacarus was cake compared to many of the other creatures (Brachyodos, and Deviljho being the toughest I think).

Cannot wait for 4 this Friday!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  20. seali_me

Playing 4 Ultimate.

I know it's been a long time since I hunted anything but the game now indicates where gathering points are? Really? First those stupid gathering icons appeared the now it actually beeps? I understand the game wants to appeal more to new hunters even this game has started to dumb the game now?

The biggest appeal of this game, other than hunting, was also exploration. Why Capcom? Why?