Monster Hunter

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Argroh Valdios, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Argroh Valdios

Argroh Valdios Well-Known Member

pretty much a topic about it.

2. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

I have played all the ones released in amerca. But I am very much looking forward to 3 for the wii.

3. Argroh Valdios

Argroh Valdios Well-Known Member

so am I, that's why I'm getting an imported Classic Controller Pro! (along with a wireless keyboard)

4. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i just hope they come out with something that resembles tri in psp.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Played Lost Planet 2 on the PS3 and wondered why there is no Next Gen Monster Hunter since LP2 borrowed a lot from Monster Hunter, and it feels nice.

6. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

this is about the only game i actually play and enjoy playing it. everything about it defines what i've been looking for in a game. i can talk all day why i love this game all day. i stopped for awhile though since i got MH Tri. I hunt solo until the end.

I think only one time someone pm regarding my avatar and sig which is from the game.

[​IMG]

My sig.

Photoshopped pic of my MHP2ndG Buhawi character superimposed somewhere in El Nido Island (nest island which real btw), who's grown older and now sports gray hair since MHF. In MHtri, he now sports a white hair and white mustache. No scars. I put the Sandata name for fun. it means weapon. Yes, I also highten the challenge more by playing with no armour.

just to make this thread more interesting.

i'll post my hunts for today:
    successfully hunter 3 more lagiacrus since my first one yesterday. the water hunts are awesome. back when i got TRI's release date, i left the game with lagiacrus as my target monster. i can say that i'm rusty as a hunter now since i had problems killing my first lagia.

7. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    After hearing about the release of a port of tri for the 3DS, which piqued my interest in this as a whole, and seeing that Amazon had the Wii Pro bundles on sale for $30 ($20 for a classic controller, which I kind of wanted anyway and $10 for the game), I thought "why the hell not" and ordered it. I love the aesthetic look of the weapons and armor (cool looking gear was the driving force behind my World of Warcraft addiction for many years), and skill dependent, brutal boss fights are a big part of the appeal for games like Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls to me.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the fuss is all about.

8. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Started up Monster Hunter Tri today, and so far I'm quite enjoying it, with one exception; quests involving fishing minigames should be BANNED from videogames. They are NEVER fun. They are ALWAYS frustrating. I ran out of goddamn time trying to get TWO damned fish because stupid greedy tuna would constantly respawn and go for my lure while the slowass goldfish would wander around like drunken hobos. BEYOND frustrating. Quitting the mission (with three minutes left on the damn 50 minute timer. 50 minutes! 50 minutes hitting a single button to cast a damn lure!) also made me lose all of the random stuff I'd gathered on the mission. JOY. FUCKING JOY. Christ.

On the other hand, I find the female character design highly enjoyable. It's rare to find a videogame that assigns a body type other than "Anorexic" to a female character class, let alone, for lack of a better term, "thick".

9. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Were you doing it online? If so you want to do it with people. Offline shouldn't take you too long. Personally I never cared for those missions as well, but if you're gonna go gunner then fishing and hiring the fishermen in town is necessary to keep a consistant supply of ammo for your guns (Cluster shots, sleep shots, etc...). That is until you can start buying fish.

10. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Well. It's safe to say that in the past few days I've played "a lot" of Monster Hunter Tri. God damn. So far it's been all offline, but it's been surprisingly engaging. It's funny how quickly things go from "this is the worst, why would anyone want to try and capture one of these damn shrieking dinobirds, christ" to "I am now wearing an armor made of 16 of these bastards and wielding a hammer made of their wingblades that explodes when I hit things with it."

I also made the mistake, umpteen hours in, of trying out guns and I'm kind of wishing I'd gone the gunner route from the beginning. It's hella fun, but it's too bad that all of my gear and weapons are blademaster stuff. Oh well.

11. Cyberwolf1980

News Credits:
    I'm a heavy blademaster, but I also do gunning when I feel necessary. I prefer lance and switchaxe. For gunning you need to know your setup very well. Can't just mix and match. You gotta find the right combination of armor and gun pieces. There are numerous guides to what works best. I'm a sleep bomber so I tend to mostly fight Diablos and Alatreon (Online only and HR 50+). Works pretty good on Deviljho too if you can keep your distance from that beast of a monster.

I recommend online. Better chance to obtain rare carves and quest rewards. Not to mention everything you get is offline is low rank gear. You need to play online to obtain high rank gear and you need to be rank 30 and above to start hunting those monsters.

12. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

Great Sword user here. I actually never went online until after killing Ceadeus. I'd recommend playing this way too, as it teaches you to play on your own without relying too much on other players. You develop better skills so you can be a better online player when you're ready.

13. Cyberwolf1980

News Credits:
    Have to disagree to a point. While I don't recommend tackling a monster online you have no experience with offline, as you won't know it's habits and patterns of attack, I do recommend going online to fight monsters you're already familiar with, especially if you're looking for plates. I swear, over 30 offline Rathians, and not one plate. Play online, got one after 3. Rare carves and quest rewards have a higher chance with online monsters. Too bad Ceadeus is offline only. I could use deep dragongems. Though, we lose Ceadeus and gain Jho and Ala.

14. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Well, I went online last night and kind of failed to find anyone around my level (er ... zero) who wasn't already questing or who wasn't just running around in circles in the city tavern, and ended up just doing repeated offline Barroth and Royal Ludroth hunts. Trying to practice my tail stabbing.

15. Cyberwolf1980

News Credits:
    If you want some help, drop me a line here. Been looking to get back online.

16. seali_me

about the sidequests, i love em' and hate em. hunting 3 eggs was such a pain in the ass.

MHF (2006): me tackling red fatalis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hunting him wasn't all that hard but getting the last part for my armour was. took 39 kills to get all of it.

100% greatsword and solo hunter.

here's my MH collection

[​IMG]

can you guys post your hunts? any videos?

17. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I've played Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. But thats it. I liked it well enough, but its hard as hell, and I soon became tired of dying constantly. I'll definitely get back into it eventually.

18. seali_me

that's one of the qualities i've been looking for in a game. something i can't finish easily. so far this is the only one that passes that quality. also it demands your full undivided attention in any hunt. in MHF there was no pause button. action never stops. lol

also you'll get use to the camera controls... i find its best located there since way the other buttons are used. it flows perfectly. i don't find myself ever stopping from moving. maybe just hide when healing since the monster are not stupid in this game. but not being able to hide when healing just adds to the fun. i love how tri monsters can now break small hills, trees etc. nowhere to hide. love it.

19. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Apropos of nothing, you might check out Demon's Souls (PS3) or the upcoming Dark Souls (PS3 and 36). Demon's Souls and its unforgiving "learn or die" systems were one of the things that I was reminded of the most when I booted up MHTri.

20. seali_me

^ thanks.

i just watched a gameplay video of it. it look interesting. i might buy one this weekend. i remember seeing one at EB games.