Mom & Pop plot to screw you out of a PS3... and put food on their table

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by drippy, Apr 14, 2006.

1. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm thinking of pre-ordering a couple (if I don't get screwed out of THOSE) and doing the same.

If people are willing to pay huge amounts, why not cash in?

3. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Well, isn't that nice to know, but come on, is it really any surprise?

4. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

As much as I loath to give sony any of my money I might as well cash in on their brainwashing of the consumer mass. The way I see it I'm not scalping if I'm selling my only one. I have no intention to play the thing.

5. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Let's say a small game store, like the one mentioned in the article, lists their PS3's on eBay rather than selling them to the public.

Let's assume that they have a starting price on the auction at or below MSRP. Let us also assume that there's no tinkering with the auction on the part of the store, and any price increase beyond the starting MSRP will be consumer driven.

Is it unethical?

6. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

If they took preorders for the PS3. Yes. It is VERY unethical.

This sickens me as how gamers will do this to fellow gamers. Its one thing to pre-order maybe two so that you are guarenteed one if there are mass shortages. Then you can either sell to a friend or ebay it. But to buy one with the sole intention to resell at a much higher price is just scalping.

7. Big Nine

Big Nine <font color= pink><b>Pink Soul<br>'Weak Humanoid G Veteran

Did this conversation really need to start again?

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Considering that these are units meant for retail, being sent to retailers for retail, yes. I mean, I think that's how most of us here already feel about the scalpers who buy out an area's entire stock of a shortpacked transformer for ebay. I'd say this is no different, but it really is. If the consumer got to the store before the scalper, they could still have a chance to buy the transformer. These consoles are being snatched away before they even hit store shelves.

That said, it doesn't affect me, because I don't plan on getting one. Moreover if it makes Sony's launch even messier than it's already likely to be, so much the better.

9. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

It's a little unethical, but it's more ethical than say, a manager from a corporate chain doing the exact same thing. These people are paying out of their pocket for the consoles so they have a right to sell them how they wish. It's a little unethical, but I still think that people buying extras at retail cost and scalping them or the aforementioned corporate store doing the same thing are doing something way more unethical.

10. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Supply and Demand baby.

11. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You know what these small retailers ought to do? Sell the empty box for the idiots on ebay (because we know now they'll buy it without reading) and sell the boxless console at a discount to the loyal gamers that support their local shops.

12. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's how capitalism works.

That said, the idea of a seller not getting paid for the item in question because such items are prone to bids from deadbeats makes me laugh.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If they've taken preorders, I would have thought they would have an obligation to fill them first. After that eBay is just another way of selling stock, inflated prices or not. Plus, if people are desperate/stupid enough to pay a ridiculous price for one on eBay, that's their call.

14. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For some reason when i read this thread i remembered an episode of Seinfeld with a Mom & Pop shoe store.

15. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd say it hinges on whether or not they're skimping on a promised pre-order by doing so.

Otherwise, well, with a lack of hard obligation it's the retailer's choice I guess. I personally think they oughta make the things available to the customers that'd show up in person, but that's all opinion.

And if the -starting price- is at or below MSRP, then I believe the seller is -not at fault- for the final price. The final bid of an auction is decided by the bidders, not the seller.

16. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Shop owners are people just like everyone else, and as such are just as greedy. Sure they could list the things with a buy-it-now price at retail. Of course this would be dumb as hell because the price will skyrocket beyond retail in a normal listing. I don't think there is really any wrong doing by them to sell them on ebay though with a normal opening bid. Hell, if I could get my hands on them I'd do it in a heartbeat. Easy money.

17. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    At my old TRU one of our managers did that with the Nintendo DS's and the 360's...He bought them by the CASE. He also bought EVERY Marvel Legends variant and Star Wars figures by the case (Including the giveaway figures since they rang up at .01 and avery last one of the sneek peek assortment) People complained...a LOT. The people who complained (myself included) are now GONE, and he is the new store director!

18. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Now thats abusing power.

I see nothing wrong with selling PS3's on Ebay though. Once you've bought it, you have right to re-sale it for whatever price someone is willing to pay.

19. shifty02

shifty02 This is the way

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That's funny, because last time I checked TRU has a pretty strict policy about doing just that when it comes to employees.
    It should have been his scalping ass that should have been fired...the dick.

-Shifty

20. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Astoria, that's near where I live. Grabs baseball bat. Just kidding. I wait a few years until the hardware drops in price and when games are plentiful before I buy anyway,