Heavy/Scratch: MOM Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by tonysandlin, Sep 22, 2017.

1. tonysandlin

tonysandlin Well-Known Member

Ugh, the screws on these things are so tight that they wont budge. I may not be able to test anything out if I can't get the damn screws out of the fuel tanks and the tool box on the MPM

• Like Like x 1
  2. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer I rise, you fall

News Credits:
    Oh this is gonna be amazing I'm sure. Can't wait to see it.

Something I dare you to figure out is how to get his smokestacks in the correct place in robot mode. Good luck :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  3. tonysandlin

Oh, I've looked at that... don't think I'm going to solve that issue lol

One thing I noticed about the MPM compared to the real life vehicle is that the placement of the gas tanks is off. They should tuck under the truck a little more than they do on the figure and, unfortunately, with the larger gas tanks installed, they will stick out further. I think the wider wheel wells will help even it out a bit, but I guess its a compromise that will have to be made.

I'll try and get pictures tomorrow. All that's left on the tank is to add some pegs and sliders so that it can collapse. After that, I'll just need to figure out what needs to be cut and/or drilled to match everything up with the MPM.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. John TheDestroyer

News Credits:
    One possible idea to get them to tuck under more is to cut down the side of the tank facing into the truck so its flat against the leg? I think it might be a worthwhile compromise. And in bot mode, the flat side of the tanks would be facing his back so it wouldn't be super noticeable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tonysandlin

The back side of the tank is already cut up to reveal hollow areas and such, so it might work. But I'll need to leave some plastic as a connecting point so I can attach it to the MPM. Here is what the back looks like right now. The pieces aren't connected at the moment, so that's why I have a screw driver there to balance them. Im going to collapse it even further today.
    20170926_231900.jpg
    Front, uncollapsed.
    20170926_232031.jpg Back, collapsed.

• Like Like x 3
  6. John TheDestroyer

News Credits:
    That's amazing. Even looking at the pictures right in front of my eyes, I still have no idea how it works. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  7. tonysandlin

Why do they make the screws so tight??? I don't think I can get the gas tanks removed...

8. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You already have the gas tanks removed. :lol  Are you talking about the air intakes on the shoulders?

Oooh, wait... the images you posted of the tanks are from the leader, aren't they.

9. tonysandlin

Yeah, those were the Leader. I got the tanks removed finally, but now I'm trying to figure out why they won't split apart. Thete must be something holding them in place.

• Like Like x 1
  10. John TheDestroyer

News Credits:
    I'm still incredibly curious how you got the tanks to collapse. Are you gonna show off how you did it?

11. tonysandlin

It's probably not as complicated as you might think, but I'll show it off once I have more progress. I'm trying to get that other gas tank open so I know where I need to make cuts on the Leader one. Then I'll add the slider and hope it looks good in both modes. If it turns out alright, I'll look for someone who would be interested in taking my piece and rebuilding it for 3D printing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. tonysandlin

Here are a few updates. I got the fuel tanks off and now have half of the new one on. You can see that it is slightly larger, but it also sticks out further. This is unfortunate, because I wanted it to tuck under more, which doesn't seem possible. Another issue is that from the top, you can see the gap where the second half will fit into when it collapses. In order to get this to fit together with the existing parts, I'll have to make a permanent cut to the blue part under the side panel. The cut will be hidden in the gas tank, whether I use my custom or go back to the original, but I'm still nervous to try it. 20170929_001333.jpg 20170929_001359.jpg 20170929_001259.jpg 20170929_002029.jpg
    I also added the second wheel so you can see how far that sticks out. Doesn't look too bad, imo, and the Leader wheel well will be perfect size.

Anyway, let me know what you think of it so far. Does the gas tank stick out too far? Is the gap ugly enough to just scrap the idea?

• Like Like x 2
  13. John TheDestroyer

News Credits:
    The gap doesn't really bother me. I had to look for a few seconds before I even noticed what you were talking about. Definitely keep going with it because it looks great so far!

The wider rear wheels are definitely going to help with the wider gas tanks.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tonysandlin

It's definitely more noticeable in person, I tried to get a picture to show the gap. It's a little disappointing and I'll need to rethink how I do this, especially since the tanks sticking out so far are ugly. Well, if I scrap the idea, at least I have it a shot!

• Like Like x 1
  15. John TheDestroyer

News Credits:
    Don't scrap the tanks! You're so close and I want to see that larger collapsing tanks are actually possible. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  16. KayODave

KayODave Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I'd love to see you and/or @Lukelbs add accurate side view mirrors as well.

• Like Like x 3
  17. tonysandlin

I'm looking at that as well :thumb 

• Like Like x 4
  18. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Any updates on this by chance? :D 

19. tonysandlin

Nothing as of yet. The idea with the collapsing tank might get shelved. I'm just not a fan of how ugly it looks in alt mode... it sticks out too far. Same with the tires. I'm in the middle of grad school, so once I'm done with this semester, I'll revisit these ideas and think of a way to make it work. I've yet to figure out a solution for the shoulder pauldrons, so that will need some time as well.

• Like Like x 2
  20. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hey, school first, play when able, I get it.

• Like Like x 3