Mom got her wallet stolen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Primal, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Really sorry to hear that. I hope that the bank gets her money back quick and the thief/thieves are caught.

Never heard of putting SEE ID on the back of a card, i don;t see how that works as I thought a card couldn;t be used in any way unless it was signed...

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry to read about what happened to your mother, Primal. Let's to hoping that that all goes well. I think we should be extra careful during the holiday season as more thieves will be on the prowl looking for more victims.

3. Primal

Primal Veteran

News Credits:
    Well the police finally showed up around 1am to fill out a report (after I called them at 5pm). This morning I cancelled all the credit cards (we just put them on hold yesterday) after they verified the transactions with me and my mother (they only used the ABM card for their shopping spree). The new ones will arrive in 2-3 weeks. I deactivated her Health Card cause the police said it can be used/sold to illegal immigrants. Called 2 of the 3 credit bureaus (the third only does my mail or fax) and put a flag on her account.

We went to the bank today, but they wanted valid ID... her passport was expired, they wouldnt use her immigration papers, also her birth certificate was in Italian so they said no. she cant get a new bank card until she gets proper ID.

So she has no credit cards or any bank cards until, probably, after the holidays... we did at least get to start the fraud investigation. They will call back (CIBC will... the parent company) sometime Monday or Tuesday to move onto the next step. She doesn't like it cause English isn't her 1st language and she gets flustered answering their questions. Plus shes 68 so her memory isnt great when remembering translations from Italian to English. Going through their verification of her identity is a pain to her... she's been doing it all day, she doesnt want to anymore.

Still don't know if the bank will cover it, until then I guess we'll have to. Due dates for their bills are approaching soon too... their first is on the 20th. Currently we are in the red about -$1700

4. Primal

Primal Veteran

News Credits:
    Well the bank called us. My parents are getting the money back, but it'll be another 2 weeks or so. The bank is sending a letter we have to signed and get noterized first.

Almost all cards are replaced (we'll ordered). Tomorrow my mom has an appointment to take her picture for the new photo health cards, then we just wait for everything to arrive in the mail (credit cards, bank card, etc).

She was a little sad that she wasn't able to get gifts for anyone this year, but what can ya do, ya know? She had $3000 taken from her, we know she couldn't afford anything.

Hopefully by the 2nd week of January everything will be done.

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Wierd that they wouldn't take her passport. As far as I knew, expired Passports are still valid forms of ID, at least according to US I9 forms for work ID validation.

And if there is one thing I cannot stress ehough to women, always, ALWYAS make sure to close your purse properly. I work in a restaraunt with very heavy traffic at lunch. There isn't a month that goes by where someone doesn't get their wallet lifted because they left their bag open or on a chair at the table while they got up for a sec.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Hope you find them and PUNCH EM' IN THE THROAT!

7. Primal

Primal Veteran

News Credits:
    The money was repaid to my moms account by the bank on Friday! Whoo!
    She has all her important cards back now... Took a long time but it's finally over!

Never heard back from the police though, it's probably a lost cause finding who did it...

8. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    well, at least everything worked out nicely in the end, right?

9. Primal

Primal Veteran

News Credits:
    Indeed :)