Mom got her wallet stolen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Primal, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    It happened today. Somehow they got her PIN number (probably looked over her shoulder when she was making a withdrawal) and lifted her wallet from her bag when she was in another store (Zellers). Within an hour her account was well into the negatives. They spent in total $2892.87!

We put a hold on her credit cards and cancelled her bank card (which they've been using for all transactions). Just waiting for the cops to come by to fill out a report, then tomorrow call to verify transactions with the credit card companies, call Trans-Union and Equifax to report the theft of her cards and SIN number and head to the bank to get a new bank card with her and have the bank start a fraud investigation.

Merry f&%!ing Christmas! :mad 

2. butz

butz slippery when wet

Wow. Hope they catch the fuckers.

3. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

And she didn't notice those thieves following her the whole time?

Damn I hope she'll be able to recover her balance.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Holy shit!

That really sucks man, can she file some kind of fraud claim with the bank?

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Happened to my Grandma about a year ago... Her bank had all funds back to her within a week. Hope the bank you guys deal with does the same thing.

6. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    When she goes to the bank tomorrow she'll get to do the fraud claim and all that fun stuff... she just needs to go with someone cause she doesn't speak English well and her understanding isn't that great either (She's > 65 yrs). We have a print out of the transactions from her online account and the receipts of her stuff spending today, so hopefully that will help.

She said she didnt notice anyone at the bank ABMs with her. She had her wallet when she was in Zellers, (she put everything she was carrying into a shopping cart and just kept her purse on her) but her bag wasn't closed properly. She noticed it was gone after a girl (age 20-25) was talking to her, asking my mom for help with picking out a robe or something for this girls mom. My mom thought it was odd cause the girl didn't know her moms size. The girl was standing on the side my mom was holding her purse, then my mom said she left very quickly.

Still waiting on the police... they called well over an hour ago saying they had a few emergencies to deal with first but they'll be over sometime tonight.

7. butz

butz slippery when wet

If there was a camera on the ATM, the douchebags that got her pin might be on tape; depending on how they swiped her pin.

8. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Most banks nowadays get you all your money back in like 72 hours in fraud cases.

Is it too much ask to what bank it was? (Like one of the major banks {B of A, USBANK, Wachovia, Wells Torgo, etc...} or a small town bank...)

9. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    Her bank is President's Choice Financial... it's a no fees bank that you find at supermarkets, but they are owned by one of the major banks here (CIBC).

Hopefully they are caught on tape at the ABM butz.... if not when they swipped her PIN then when they went back to them and made 3 withdrawal. We also have the 6 other stores they went to listed, hopefully they have cameras as well.

10. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

The store's are held responsible for not asking for id, but you can't do much about ATM withdrawls until you cancel the card.

A way around that is to take your credit cards or bank cards and in bold black marker, put "ASK FOR ID" instead of your signature. Most cashiers will notice that right away, or at least I hope.

Another thing to do is to take all the important cards in your wallet: DL, credit cards, SS, etc... and put them all on a copier and make copies of the front and back and keep this paper handy if your wallet is ever stolen. You now have all the info to cancel everything.

11. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

My boys were playing in Brooklyn last night and the van got broken into and stole their bass and one Les Paul guitar. Sucks ass and put a dent in their tour.

12. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

If her ATM card is also a debit card, they wouldn't have needed her pin # as you can use a debit card just like a credit card if you select "credit" instead of debit. Just swipe and sign. I hope she's able to get it all worked out!

13. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    It's an ABM card... we call them debit cards though. They would need her PIN to use it.

Police just called again for a 3rd time saying they still don't know when they'll be over. They have higher priorities to deal with first. When we get tired of waiting up for them we're to call back and tell them to forget it. Me and my brother are waiting up for them.

14. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At least around here, ATM withdrawals are limited to only so much per day so that someone doesn't clean out your account. If your mom's card doubles as a Visa or Mastercard (most do), the girl probably went and charged a bunch of electronics or something else she could sell easily for cash.

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    thieving bastards.

may their nuts burst from overswollen of pus.

16. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

As for the idea of writting on the back of you cards SEE ID. Please check your fine print for you card. Since most cards are not legal unless signed.

Where I work I can not take a card that is not signed or that says see id. Since with ourt a signature it is invalid. Also you can not just sign it in front of me either.

Just something to keep in mind.

17. butz

butz slippery when wet

If they catch the people that did this, they should let your mom kick them in the nuts. If they're female (namely that girl you mentioned) um ... titty twisters?
    I think it would be justified- it takes a pretty serious asshole to do something like that.

18. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

The only place I've had trouble with SEE ID was the post office. Honestly its a dumb idea, anyone can forge a signature, forging a drivers license with info and a picture before the person notices its missing is harder. I always put SEE ID on my credit card and have my ID ready to show the cashier.

19. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

Naw son! Just lay their nuts on the dresser.. .just their f'in nuts on the dresser and bang them shiets with a spiked f'in bat!!! Blahhhah!!]

Seriously though, sorry to hear about that Primal..
    Hopefully your mom will get her money back as quickly as possible.

20. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Shiiiit. I'm very sorry to hear that. This time of year is awful for that sort of crap. I hope karma bites them in the ass.