Customs: MOLOTOW LIQUID CHROME MARKERS TRIAL

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by artimus prime, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder about that. It clearly says "chrome" in the item description but there's nowhere on the marker where it says what color it is.

I should also mention that on my last attempt, I shook it for like two solid minutes before opening it and trying to paint with it.

[Edit] just went to Molotow's site and looked under "burner." I think you're right - it's not the same thing. When I translate it, one of the descriptors is "glittering." Guess I'll need to order again and make sure I get the right one this time.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. Brogey

Brogey Well-Known Member

Yeah that's not the right one. The pen says "liquid chrome" on it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Cool. Looks like hobby lobby carries it and with the constant 40% off coupon they're always running, it'll be cheaper than Amazon. Assuming it's in stock at my local store.

Working on restoring a G1 Megatron and I need to touch up the edges of his chrome parts in a few places. This stuff has its drawbacks but it should be good enough for what I'm doing.

4. Brogey

Brogey Well-Known Member

My closest hobby lobby had it stocked in with the paint markers and back with the plastic model kits, so check both spots.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Yeah, you want these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074...g_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8AVS7HV2S1KP8P6925FN

And don’t buff it after it dries, that will ruin the finish. Let it cure for a month or two for best results (seriously, it develops something like its own clear coat if it’s given enough time to cure).

• Like Like x 2
  6. jbvirus

jbvirus Autobot

I used it on my LT-02 Optimus Prime. It looks great on the rims and the shoulder cylanders but I messed up his chest visors. It looks rough and does not look as smooth and that was my fault. Any idea on how I can remove the paint from the visors so I can have a do over?

7. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

A little rubbing alcohol should do it.

I had some parts that turned out sloppy on my first attempt and used rubbing alcohol to remove the liquid chrome and start over.

If there’s any factory paint around the cheromed area, be careful since rubbing alcohol can remove that too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jbvirus

jbvirus Autobot

Thanks a bunch, if I have time over the weekend this what I will do. Think I will also stuff paper towels and painters taper underneath to make sure I don't get the factory paint.

9. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

You’re welcome!

Depending on the proof of the alcohol, you’ll likely need to work at it a bit to remove the factory paint. If the liquid chrome is still fairly fresh it should come off pretty easily. Just be aware that getting alcohol on the factory paint may soften it, so be careful and you should be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Got the actual liquid chrome this time and it works so much better. It's not a perfect match for Megatron's chrome but it looks better than just having the grey plastic show where the chrome rubbed away. Now I'm looking around and wondering what else I can chrome :p 

• Like Like x 3
  11. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

EVERYTHING

• Like Like x 5
  12. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

It’s addictive, isn’t it? I’ve pulled a bunch of my Classics figures out of storage just to have something to chrome. :D 

• Like Like x 2
  13. ILuvToyz

ILuvToyz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OK I know these are not transformers but here's some things I've painted with Liquid Chrome.
    C-3PO was first painted chrome and then I added a yellow tint (Sunshine Yellow https://www.amazon.com/Adirondack-Br...l+ink+sunshine ) to the Klear Kote sealer.

After looking at the pics, I see an few areas I need to repaint a few touch ups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  14. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Those turned out nice! How long did you let the Liquid Chrome cure before applying the Klear Kote?

15. optimusprimeroc

optimusprimeroc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ive had great results with spray on clear lacquer and chrome

• Like Like x 1
  16. artimus prime

artimus prime SCALE Debater that collects multiple TF lines TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Any pics to share?

17. optimusprimeroc

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ill take one later of first edition aoe prime since his thighs got the high gloss lacqour spray treatment

18. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Do you mean with the Molotow Liquid Chrome, specifically? If so, how long did you let it cure before applying the clear lacquer and what brand is it?

19. optimusprimeroc

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IMG_20180907_154551822.jpg i believe its rustoleum and ive used it only on aoe leader optimus and aoe leader grimlock to protect the silver paint

i also replaced the body on my bachman g scale 90047 wonderland flyer loco with a replacement body and hit it with the lacquer spray and by the time i had the old body off the engine and was ready to put the new body on the lacquer was completely dry

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  20. WyldeBill

WyldeBill Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This stuff seems pretty good but we need someone to set up a vacuum metalizer. Send in your part and get them back nice and shiny.

• Like Like x 1