Molds that surprised you.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sioce, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I recently decided my Prime collection needed an full powered up Armada Prime.
    I was pretty happy with Prime, mildly disappointed with Overload
    (Brick much?) And very excited about Armada Jetfire.

The combined mode of all three is pretty darn awesome.

It is actually A pretty sweet mold. I am picking up a TFCC Astrotrain This weekend because I am just that happy with the mold.

I did not expect to enjoy anything from the Armada series as the few figures I have seen in person were prett bad.

Which molds surprised you when you actually got a chance to see/touch in person?

2. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ROTF Voyager class Stratosphere!

3. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ROTF Brawn.

Kibble really isn't that bad (more like wings) and he's just overall awesome, especially w/Recon Ironhide's guns.

4. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ROTF Dirge and Ratchet. Very fun transformations.

Unofficial stuff, it has to be Warbot. I wasn't planning on getting him till I held Lupis' in my hand, now I have one (just arrived last night).

5. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Beast Wars TM2 Dragon Megatron.

I hate Beast Wars, and don't plan on buying anything from that line (except maybe a monkey Prime because they're pretty funny looking and I think the fact that they made the great leader we all love into a friggin' ape is even funnier), but this dragon was a pleasant surprise.

6. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Beast Machines Blastcharge

When I first spied the photos of him at the 2000 Toyfair, I thought: "Here's one that definitely sucks". But then I got him, Skydive, and BM Mega Megatron at the same time and he was the best. Yes, he's got a bit of an awkward looking robot mode, but it's a unique look and he's a really well done mold. He's got an involved(but easy to do) transformation and is quite a hefty deluxe, especially compared to his wavemate Skydive.

7. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

TFA Blurr - looks skinny, uninvolving, awkward.
    In reality it is a sleek car and endlessly posable bot.

Classics Prime (I have the UM repaint) - meh, whatevs, same transformation and parts-to-bot of every Prime going.
    But the more I play with it, the more it looks like the most bad-ass action doll ever created.

8. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He definately does have a nice transformation... but once I got it into robot mode and said WTF, I was glad I was selling it.

9. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I really agree with this one. Its probably my favorite ROTF voyager figure. I'd also have to nominate the Energon leader megatron/galvatron mold. Once I found out the knees on those could bend, I really started to dig them.

10. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

Tf milennium falcon, because it was at least 10 times more rubbish than i'd hoped. Nice alt-mode but those Robots are just terrible! Was my first and last swtf.

My first wst (of many, many more over the past few years) was thrust and he completely blew me away. I was expecting a little gashapon thing and he turned out to be fab. The justitoys wsts have impressed too but I was expecting them to be a bit special. If takara revived that line i'd be in serious danger of becoming bankrupt!

Optimus primal too - I liked his monkeymode but the actual quality of the toy when I got him was a pleasant suprise. He has that g1 chunkyness whilst being a thoroughly modern toy.

11. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    along time ago i saw big convoy in only alt mode, thought it was out of place since there were no other animals from the ice age.....years later i love this fig, and had to get the nemesis version and would prob. give a nut for the blue one and the big black convoy

12. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

This is one of my all time favorite Transformers. What could be more awesome then a red dragon with rainbow wings? LOL

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Classics Prime for me too, partly because early pics weren't all that flattering.

Early opinion: looks OK - waist is a bit too skinny - head sculpt not so great - kibble chunks hanging off the arms - I'll probably be a decent toy, but no way could it be better than deluxe Armada Prime.

Opinion after time: Best... Optimus... Prime... toy... evah.

14. Insecticon

Insecticon I am a Transformers

Ebay:
    For me, it was Animated voyager Bulkhead. I already had the leader class version, so why buy a smaller one? One day, on a whim, I bought him and now I consider him one of the better voyagers of the Animated line. I even think he is better than the leader class version in terms of the fun factor. He is more pose-able, more cartoon accurate, and has a fun transformation to boot.

Another one I thought I wouldn't like would be ROTF Sideways/Dead End. I'd figure he would be just like Barricade in terms of transformation, and I didn't like the skimpy legs I've seen in the pictures. In hand, I can't help but fiddle with him and put him into many cool poses. He is just so much fun!

A few other notable ones:
    ROTF Voyager Megatron- A VERY good improvement from his first movie voyager counterpart
    Animated Voyager Lugnut- Gimpy size put me off, but after buying, he is awesome!

15. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

assuming a $100 MP fig isn't strictly speaking a toy, he's the best TF toy ever imo. Only ones that come close for me are the g1 dinobots and jetfire.

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hate to say it, buy since i got it for Christmas, HA sideswipe was a pleasant surprise

17. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    RotF Deluxe Jolt. While all the new RotF deluxes seem to ramp up the fiddly bits, Jolt is remarkably simple, but still a lot of fun.

18. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Universe Powerglide and Silverbolt were both more interesting than I figured they'd be. And Botcon Kup to a lesser extent.

19. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    TFM1 Dropkick! He's awesome!

20. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    ROTF Breakaway/Thrust