Molds so nice, you bought them twice?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Soundwinder, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Pretty simple topic, what molds have you enjoyed so much you bought them twice?

Completionists and army builders need not apply, unless you happened to army build one figure because you loved it so much.

RiD Wedge/CR Build Boy: Reacquired one due to nostalgia.
    G2 Hooligan/Jetfire: I love this mold, I love Jetfire, I love Hooligan... had to be done.
    RiD X-Brawn: Initially got the rally deco, but I later got the basic one, which I prefer MUCH more.
    G1 Rumble and Frenzy: Haha... of course.
    BM Deluxe Jetstorm/RiD Stormjet: Got the BM version because I loved Jetstorm. Much later got the Stormjet because I still love Jetstorm, but I like the mold and think it looks great in Jetfire colors. They really, really recolored this mold like... a lot. There's something for everyone.

I'm sure I have a lot more... I'll update as I remember!

2. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Classics Jetfire and Treadbolt.
    Classics Prowl, Silverstreak and Smokescreen.

3. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Classics Prowl, Silverstreak and Smokescreen.[/QUOTE]

These/\. I love this mold as well as the Lamborghini triplets.

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have multiples of RiD/Car Robot Bros and Big Convoy but it might have more to do with the characters they represent than the toys themselves (though they are great toys!)

If strictly for the mould, Energon Starscream (original, G1-ish repaint and Leozak...looking for Super Link Nightscream) and Recon Ironhide (original and blue repaint) and Cybertron Legends Starscream (Starscream, Skywarp, Ramjet, Sunstorm and a couple of customs) and BT/Alt Ram (BT Convoy and Black Convoy, Alt Nemmy). RtS Laser Prime (original, United, SG and upcoming repaint yay), as well.

There are probably more as I tend to get obsessed with certain moulds :) 

5. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    RTS Wreck-Gar and Generations Junkheap. Mainly because of their freaking awesome gimmick, but really, I would have considered it otherwise, it's SUCH a great mold.

Transmetal 2 Megatron and Cryotek. They look SOOOO freaking nice displayed together. Seriously, the two of them are like the centerpiece of my collection.

Animated Seekers. My personal favorite seeker mold, I loved it so much I bought it three times.

Animated Blurr and Cheetor. I like the Blurr mold, but I think the Cheetor version is even BETTER. If I didn't know that Blurr existed, I would have sworn this mold was made specifically for Cheetor, it just works so well for the character.

I also have Beast Wars Blackarachnia and Tigertron, but I bought them for show-completion, so they don't count.

EDIT: Almost forgot Turbo Tracks and Wheeljack. Out of all my repaints, these two come the closest to feeling like two completely different molds (which is probably why I forgot to include them at first.)

6. mikenoynoy

mikenoynoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The Classic Seekers...

7. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

Classics Optimus, Ultra Magnus, Henkei Optimus. Love this mold!!
    Classics Megatron and Henkei Megatron. With the right colors he is awesome.
    MP-09 Rodimus and Hasbro Masterpiece Rodimus - a lot of people don't like him but I think he's terrific when not broken in the package. Technically triple dipped as I bought Takara version 1, sold it to a gentleman at BotCon that mostly wanted the trailer, and bought Version 2.
    MP-10 and Hasbro Masterpiece Optimus Prime. Simply one of the best molds ever and an absolute steal at $100 with some improvements to the paints (and, admittedly some downgrades). Will not be able to lay off him when he comes out.

8. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    More recent ones- PCC Heavytread, Legion Evac, Cyberverse Commander Megatron, FE Optimus Prime, PRiD Vehicon and FoC Shockwave.

9. Legend of Matt

Legend of Matt 360verse

News Credits:
    G2 Motormouth / Spychangers Ironhide (Just because I really liked the Spychangers and wanted the full set, prefer Motormouth's colours

Energon Skyblast / 07 Movie Air Raid / 07 Movie Skyblast

Universe Prowl / Universe Silverstreak (Bluestreak!) / Universe Smokescreen

Classics Bumblebee / Classics Cliffjumper / United Bumblebee (for Goldbug upgrade)

There are quite a few good molds out there and surprisingly a lot of repaints actually work at making them look like separate characters

10. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 Ayo Fryman. That uh, that's highly illogical. Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    FOC Combaticons. because there are multiple decos and i like the molds and two of the color schemes. well, three for Onslaught (got the G2 set on preorder and i intend to get retail Onslaught). otherwise i'm a cheap ass and only buy one of each

11. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Classics seekers.

12. Flexx Ark

Flexx Ark Original Cyberverse - Yes! New - Meh......

News Credits:
    Most of my Prime Cyberverse figures

13. bensdady

bensdady Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    rotf of the fallen lockdown

14. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Not counting Beast Era repaints as I didn't buy them.

Animated Starscream, Skywarp, and Sunstorm
    DOTM Starscream and Thundercracker
    CV Dreadwing and Skyquake
    TFP Vehicon and AM Jet Vehicon (Same robot mode designs)
    TFP Wheeljack and Dead End
    Classics Acid Storm and Generations Thundercracker

15. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only figure that I bought twice intentional (and not through lots on eBay) is Universe 2.0 Nemesis Prime. I bought one for the Fansproject armor, and another for my TAW Sword armor.

16. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    RotF Skystalker & Sunspot. Definitely my all-time favorite mold, plus it's so easy to distinguish individuals. I wouldn't mind buying that mold a few more times more; in fact I'm kinda hoping for a purple Ratbat-themed deco.
    Sunny and Sky also got a neat yin-yang thing going.

17. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

Plenty of vintage and modern cars and jets based on the original early G1 characters, but for space reasons I try to limit the amount of repaints I allow myself to buy.

One mould I do have three paint schemes of is Cybertron Evac, easily one of my favourite ever TF figure designs.

18. NoFuture

NoFuture Member

I have 5 versions of the BM Jetstorm mold, love it. I have 3 vrs of the Obsidian mold as well. I have 4 of the Space Case Cyberjet mold, and 3 of the Hooligan. When GDO Wilderrider hits, I'm gonna have every version of that mold too.

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Big Convoy, Black Big Convoy, and (Universe) Nemesis Prime.

Love Animated Cybertron "medium build" Ratchet, Ironhide, and the Autotroopers as well.

The Devil Gigatron mold, Devil Gigatron, RiD Megatron, and Botcon Deathsaurus.

Not deliberately, but I've got Universe Cyclonus, Henkei Cyclonus, and the two-pack Cyclonus.

Animated Earth Mode Megatron and (my one of my favorites) Shadowblade Megatron.

I actually have both Car Robots Black Convoy and RiD Scourge.

20. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Going by the OP's question though, wouldn't repaints be omited from your answers? I mean he was asking how many of us double dipped on the mold of a character, naturally repaints into different characters like the Classics Seekers and Autobot Cars would be obvious.

How many people, outside of certain types of collectors, bought two of the exact same mold as the exact same character because they liked the mold enough to want it?

5 Classics Prowls or 8 RID Wheeljacks, you know, things like that. If you want to get technical and literally accurate with your responses.

Of course we all buy repaints of molds as different characters, some of us even do it with piss poor molds like the Movie Dreadwing, who is, while quirky and interesting looking as a design could have stood to be better proportioned in the leg department.

And now that I've tried to bring logic and reason into this discussion, for which I duly apologize as I can get a bit technical at times, allow me to address this question.

Before I started purging stuff from my collections I had...

RiD Side Burn/RiD Side Burn (Supre Version)/Universe Botcon Roulette/Universe Botcon Shadow Striker
    RiD X-Brawn/RiD X-Brawn (Supre Version)/Universe Autobot Ratchet
    RiD Prowl/RiD Prowl (Super Version)/Universe Inferno/Universe Botcon Sideswipe
    BM Jetstorm/BM Sonic Attack Jet/RiD Storm Jet/Universe Skywarp
    BM Obsidian/RiD Obsidian/Universe Obsidian
    And many others.

But I've since trimmed some of those out of there. And abandoned my plans to get every repaint or new character from the older lines.

These days I mostly just get the usual stuff, Autobot Cars, Seekers that sort of thing.

That being said, there is one mold and character/pair of characters I dig enough to keep all iterations of their mold from North American releases.

Armada Demolishor and Cyclonus, pretty much every version of those characters paint jobs was so impressive, and the molds are always so much fun, even though I am in the process of getting rid of a large portion of my UT collection I'll probably stick to keeping all the Demolishor and Cycloni I've got. The only figure I'm missing to have them all is the Cybertron Demolishor.