Customs: Molding clay question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SC0RP0N0K, Dec 4, 2009.

1. SC0RP0N0K

SC0RP0N0K Well-Known Member

Maybe this has been asked before but I'm looking to smooth over lines that have been premolded into a figure but I'm not sure what to use. I saw molding clay and molding putty at the store but the clay requires you to bake it to get hard and I doubt the figure would stand up to that. The putty says it's easy to mold but will never harden which would suck when you handle or transform the figure. So which one should I use if either, and if neither should be used, what should be?

Thanks.

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

you need to get some apoxie sculpt, they have different types but I think regular will work. Its a two part modeling clay that will harden at room temp.

You may have to do some sanding after its filled.

3. SC0RP0N0K

Thanks for the reply man. I just got the only thing I could find at Michael's, since the closest hobby store is 30 miles away, I ope I got the right shit. lol

4. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    I use Tamiya 'Basic' type epoxy putty. It comes in a toothpaste-like tube, and you don't have to mix anything. It's a gray paste. I use it to fill gaps and smooth out surfaces. It works extremely well, and would do wonders for that Deadpool-from-Spider-Man project I see you've got going on.

- Alty

5. ghostyurei

ghostyurei Retardicon

I've had good results with Milliput, which my hobby store carries. It's a 1-to-1 clay binary compound that mixes in different colors. It comes in varying grains, so it's good for large or small projects. You can even sculpt with it for larger pieces, like accessories, provided you're fast or you don't mind lots of dremeling when you're done. It's workable as clay for about an hour after you mix the compound.

6. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mighty Putty also works well for filling, but it can be a slight hassle to work with.

7. SC0RP0N0K

I've found that I like the Loctite 5 minute Epoxy Putty. It's not too hard to work with and I can get a tube for around 3 bucks at Wal-Mart which is right up the road from me so if I run out I don't have to go 30 miles to hit up a hobby store. While it's not perfect it does the job well.