Mold degradation paranoia

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Duximus Prime, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    After reading about the breaking down of oft-used molds over time (currently a hot topic due to Encore Bruticus), I got to thinking... What is the acceptable threshold that a figure can be reissued before subsequent pressings begin to suffer? Initially, I thought that Encore would be the best route to go for reissues being that they are (relatively) cheap and plentiful. However, every reissue line we see, its molds degrade more and more, and now I begin to question if buying earlier (read: less degraded) reissues is a better option? For me, for example, it's come to a point where I'd rather spend almost triple the amount on a tight botcon Thundercracker rather than the floppy Henkei verison.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    hasbro seems to be good about pulling molds from production after they've degraded too much (although it is hasbro's over-use of the molds is what causes most of the degradation). the only one they've kept cranking out long past the expiration date is the concept camaro bumblebee. preview bumblebee is so far gone he barely even fits into his car mode without constant re-adjustment of just about every part.

3. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

Exactly. I went through a few preview bumblebee's until I found one that was acceptable to me. Even then it has issues.

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    They must have thought they could make alot more money using the existing mold, rather than create a new mold with the existing plans..it's a shame, because indeed, the ROTF Bumblebee is a bitch to get into car mode (mine doesn't full go)...was the same with 07 Cliffjumper and Stealth Bumblebee, and it's only gotten worse..

5. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this is sadly just business getting in the way of making good toys. As theirs a point that the repair costs could no longer be cancelled out by the money that mould can make.

Movie BB is a good example I'd say you could put down 2% of the money transformers brings in just down to that one toy design and because of this their going to use that girl till she's so loose that no body will take her.

6. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interestingly enough, even with all the know issues about HK Thunder, Botcon Thundercracker's price is less than double. No random chrome either.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

The only heavily abused mold I can think of in recent years, minus the Encore Bruticus, is the Classics Seeker mold, and even though the Henkei TC and SW are said to be bad, my two seekers (Acid Storm and Universe G1-accurate Starscream) transform just fine (although my AC's got one blaster that sits loose in the sholder and wing holes, the other is a bit too tight.)

8. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    Interesting. Are we talking loose or still in the bag? I haven't spotted any for much less than $300 on the 'bay...

9. dharmacon

dharmacon More Than Meets The Isle

News Credits:
    What about G1 Optimus Prime? I didn't get the Universe 2.0 reissue, and my Encore Prime is still MISB. Anybody experience any issues with these recent Prime reissues? Certainly, that mold has some mileage on it.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm slightly nervous about the Generations clear Mirage and Ghost Starscream, but I've preordered both. Maybe after Bruticus I should stop doing this. :lol 

11. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    I was wondering the same thing. Prime has to have been reissued at least as many times as Bruticus, if not more, what with G2, Pepsi, etc. I bought Encore Prime for myself and 25th Prime for my nephew, and both had crisp details and tight joints. I suspect, due to his popularity, there were more Prime molds than some of the lesser characters, and thus have been better able to support the number of pressings.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    certain characters like G1 prime, they're going to repair the molds every time they notice them starting to degrade. they'd never let it go bad.

13. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    If you get them and don't like them... dibs

:p 

14. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All this talk about Molds...

Can someone with knowledge of Molds please tell me how expensive it is to make or repair one?

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    depends on the size of the toy, part count, size of the parts... there's no solid answer.

same for repairing. depends on the damage.

they are big, heavy pieces of steel. they cost a lot.

16. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm very interested in learning more about molds.... does anyone have pics of TF molds?

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  18. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

Does anyone have an idea on whether a future release of an encore version of other combiners like menasor and defensor would result in similar molding issues like that seen so far on Bruticus? Or were those other combiners not whored out like Brut? Just makes me worried since i don't want to lock up my money with preorders only to find out later on that the quality is shoddy.

19. Faxon

Faxon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The other combinders are probably in better shape, due to the Bruticus molds having a few more releases overall, thanks to Ruination.

20. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    My Acid Storm also has the same problem with his blasters.