Moisture damage and resealing the shower... [HALP]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by llamatron, Aug 9, 2009.

1. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey, I've got some obvious moisture damage showing up on the hallway wall that backs onto the shower cubicle. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this kind of wet damage before and how they went about fixing it. I know that I need to reseal the shower cubicle but once I've done that will the wall just dry itself out or is there any further work I should do to it? Thanks for any help. (in b4 DO IT IN THE POOPER)

Pic related, it's my nasty wall:

[​IMG]

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    When it happened to us. The dude that fixed it ripped all the old sealant off and just replaced it around the bath. The old seal had worn and obviously wasn't doing its job.

We left our ceiling to dry by keeping the windows and doors open, let the sealant dry for 24 hours and all was well.

3. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

You also have obvious mold growing there. That isn't something to take lightly.

4. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Have you thought about curbing your hall wall at all?

5. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

It looks like it's time for a repair job. You need to pull the old shower out, remove all the rotten backing and replace with proper materials. I'm guessing the person that built it didn't use cement board behind the shower. With that much mold coming out the wall behind it.....you can only imagine what is growing in the wall. Sadly, this isn't a small problem. You could strip out the sealer around the shower and replace it. That should stop more moisture from getting back there. However, it won't kill the mold that is back there and the damage done already. Mold is a big problem and can get your house condemmed. I'm sorry for your prediciment.

6. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

What a shitty mould. It's repaints aren't much better. ha! ha! ha! I kill myself.

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You might not need to replace anything except the seal.

Stand in the shower, and see if it moves at all. Mark with a pencil or something if its not obvious. If the tray does move, ie, dip or shift, then that indicates that the wooden frame the Shower tray is sitting on is rotten and needs replacing.

Check also that the tray itself isn't cracked, I had to replace a shower tray once but it looked fine until there was weight in it.

If it doesn't move, chances are its only an old seal.

As to the wetness, clean up the mould and just wait for it to dry out. As long as the source of moisture is gone everything should be fine.

8. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
  9. Nemesis Chris

Nemesis Chris mental minibot

i would rip out the shower, see if there is any cement board behind it (which i doubt with that much damage, or there may be and you have a leak in the piping behind it), check the floor joyces and wall framing, remove the obvious mold that is in there (hopefully it's not too extensive), rip down the sheet rock from the moldy wall in the hallway and replace.

me personally, i'd probably call in someone about the mold. at least wear a respirator while you're removing things, as you don't know what type of mold it is, as some are deadly if you breathe it in. probably would be a good idea to have the family (if applicable) not in the house for this. houses can/will get condemned if there is a major mold problem. if its not too bad, like i said, you should just have to get new sheetrock, and use a bleach/water solution to kill the remaining mold.

10. Arcee

Arcee Optimus Scourge Forever TFW2005 Supporter

The drywall at the top of my shower liner has the same thing happening to it (minus the mold). The drywall has bubbled and broken away leaving a few dips that you can see the mesh backing. I was going to use drywall putty to fill the holes and wait for it to dry to sand and repaint. With mold though even if you stop the water leaks and dry it out, it will still be there. You may have to cut that section of wall out and replace it.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    i think your gonna have to replace that bit of sheet rock and be prepared for more nasty surprises behind it , I have a bad feeling your looking at amajor repair job