Scratch Builds: Modifying and Building Heads with Wikkid - Getting Started!

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by Superquad7, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    TFW2005.COM member Wikkid is well known throughout the customs and kitbashing community for his great wealth of knowledge and experience in the hobby, particularly that of scratch-building. Chances are that if you’re reading this, you’re already very familiar with him, his own work, and the very nature of it. That being said, there’s little need to define what is already probably known to you.

What follows is a page that acts as a “jumping off” of point for a series of tutorials Wikkid wrote regarding the topic of customizing heads for Transformers figures. His work was originally submitted as one resource. There was so much great material, that I felt it was certainly worthy enough to be split into smaller tutorials, and once you dig in I think you’ll agree with me that each task warrants its own spotlight. This was also done to help you, the reader, to focus your attention on each item that Wikkid so painstakingly illustrates as he shares his processes with us as well as to make reading and analyzing the resources easier.

This page also acts as an addendum to the series of tutorials I've affectionately titled Modifying and Building Heads with Wikkid, as there are a few things that Wikkid shares with us in addition to what he originally submitted. Much of this came through the original discussion, as members inquired more about these processes. You can find the bulk of that at the end of this post.

Below, you can find links to all of the tutorials subdivided out into separate topics (this is also a mirror of how they’re indexed in our Tutorials Table of Contents):

Modifying and Building Heads with Wikkid:

[​IMG]

From Wikkid:

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS IS NOT A GUIDE ON HOW TO BUILD ONLY THE HEADS SEEN HERE. THIS IS INTENDED TO SHOW THE PROCESS AND STAGES OF SUCH CUSTOMIZING.

"First and foremost. When choosing a head for your custom, be sure it's in proper scale to the figure your building/modifying.

[​IMG]

To answer a few things:

The filler I use is 114 by Fuzor. It is an auto body product used to repair plastic bumpers. It will adhere to anything and everything that's been properly prepped. It comes in two sizes that look like:

[​IMG]

The tube on the left is the preferable version as it dispenses the 2-part product in equal amounts. It can also fit in a regular, run of the mill caulking gun. The tube on the right contains more product but requires a special gun.

On the question of whether these techniques can be used on deluxe class figures. I would say absolutely. It may be a bit more tedious, but shouldn't be much different. The only technique that may prove to be extremely difficult is the scratchbuilt styrene face. The putty face is much easier as it carves extremely well much like the consistency of cheese. Once the putty fully cures in a few hours, it's near impossible so be sure everything’s done before then.”

I would personally like to extend my utmost gratitude to Wikkid for contributing all of this here as well as the breadth of other tutorial resources he’s submitted. Wikkid, you continue to provide much inspiration to myself and the rest of the Radicons here. Not only are you a fantastic artist, but you're a terrific person that I'm honored and blessed to know. Thanks so very much for all that you do and contribute here, buddy!

Your friend,
    Allen G
    ~Superquad7

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.