Scratch Builds: Modifying and Building Heads with Wikkid: Adding a Crest, Audio Receptors, and a Chin

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by Wikkid, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

Adding a crest:

Here's the basic form of an Masterpiece Snarl head before features are added:

[​IMG]

Much like the vented helmet base, we are going to add a vented helmet crest. We begin with an appropriate sized vented center section and cut styrene strips of the same height that extend beyond the depth of the head. Draw out the point where the vented section makes an edge onto the styrene strip and score that plastic:

[​IMG]

You can the bend it slightly so it pops, but not enough to separate the pieces:

[​IMG]

Glue those in place. Be sure to back-set the vent:

[​IMG]

Add strips to the top and bottom to completely box it in:

[​IMG]

Allow this to dry thoroughly before going any further. Once dry, roughly draw out the curvature of the head and cut with a Dremel:

[​IMG]

Now go in and fine tune the curve with sand paper and glue into place:

[​IMG]

Audio receptors:

I call these “audio receptors” because they are located where ears would normally be. You can go apeshit with these things. Seen here is a handful of junk I got from my parts bin to use as examples. You can even use combinations of this stuff if you so choose:

[​IMG]

A basic round receptor with internal plug:

[​IMG]

Vented and spiked:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Armored:

[​IMG]

Adding a chin:

There’s not much to say here. A chin is a good way to extend the jawline. Just be sure to notch it to fit flush against the face:

[​IMG]

. . . . and installed:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.