Customs: Modified ROTF Starscream hands (WiP in need of help)!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by OmarJT82, Nov 5, 2010.

1. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    CHECK OUT THIS RECENT ACHIEVEMENT OF MINE:

Using a Walnut Hollow Soldering Iron and a Dremel Rotary Tool, I was able to make the fingers of ROTF Voyager Starscream's hands movable! :rock 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 3 fingers and 2 thumbs are now able to rotate down so that he makes a fist in robot mode and can be tucked away in vehicle mode to minimize the kibble.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the moment they are held in place with paper clips, but I need to know if there are screws or something that are small yet good enough to keep and hold the fingers in place so that they don't fall off when moving them has well as where to find them. :confused: 

Can anybody help me out with that because the sooner that happens, the sooner I can submit a tutorial for anyone here who wants to do the same for their ROTF Voyager Starscream! :confused: 

2. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oh man, subscribed for sure! I was going to suggest screws from a laptop hard drive, but I don't think they would be long enough. Maybe that would for the thumbs?

3. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is there no way to leave the paper clips in there and maybe just heat up the ends so that they are like, closed off?

4. CooljazCustoms

CooljazCustoms Autocon/Deceptibot

Ebay:
    thats what i was thinking. you dont really have to worry about the paper clips breaking since they arent bending themselves. i think for the main 3 fingers, if you just cut the paper clips right at the ends nice and close, that would suffice in keeping them secure.

as for the thumbs, you might have to try tiny screws like suggested... what about screws from eye glasses, those might be small enough and long enough

5. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

here are some tiny screws
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/3011/=9lb8qp
    I think #1's are about the right size, thats the longest they carry with that particular screw.
    You could use the paperclip like you talked about, just use a nail setting tool and hammer a flare on each side to keep it from pulling out. might take a couple tries, but I've done things similiar to that before. or you could put a slight bend on the ends.

Randy!

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They make metal modeling rods in various thicknesses. Paper clips are ok but for final they tend to bend.

7. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

wow awesome job!

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sweet.

This is my thinking as well, except for the heated part. I'd think that the holes drilled could be small enough as to have tension, but large enough in diameter to accommodate the paper clip-pins.

I think this depends on the paper clips, but more so on the amount of force applied to the fingers.

9. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What about modding tiny pop rivets?? Do they make those that small?

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I worked on the right hand of mine last night. I think the paper clips will work just fine.

I did have a slight mishap with one of the fingers while drilling the hole.

What I'd really like to see is a Starscreams' hands repro kit. I think it would go over pretty well. I'd say that the number of people still interested in this mold would be a determining factor, as I know I sorta mentally have passed on from this mold with the leader class Screamer. I just happened to have picked one up for $12 the other day. I certainly wouldn't mind giving MintyScream some extra hands though :) 

11. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you have a Dremel 4.8V Cordless, use a Dremel 1/32" drill-bit at the "low" setting!

That's what I did!

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was pretty frustrated with the plastic and the amount of time it was taking, so I cranked it up. Melted plastic was not my goal :lol