Modern Warfare 2 disc unreadable error?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tyrannosaur, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I was playing it today when suddenly it said "Disc unreadable" I cleaned it, and put it back in, still it's not working. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Have you tried another disc based gamed?

3. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

Expect the red ring within a month or two. Sorry. That's the patern I've noticed. When certain (not all) games have disc read errors the system is soon to burn out.

4. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I have a similar problem with my Halo 3 disk but it will play eventually. some of the time itll completely lock the system up too and I have to unplug it to reset it. so maybe try unplugging the system and leaving it unplugged for like 5 minutes so it has time to fully reset. if that dont work try taking the game back

5. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I had red-ring a few months ago, sent it in, got it back works like a charm.

It's just MW2, all my other games work fine, some of them have many little scratches on them and they work perfectly. The disc for MW2 just has a tiny little mark around the edge of the disk, is that the problem? If it is thats pretty douchey now because I got to get a new copy because of one god damn little scratch on it. What a load of shit, thanks alot Activision :banghead: 

I'm going to take it back, refund my $60 and combine it with my brothers money to get the prestige edition. How's that sound?

6. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Have you tried installing it, to bypass the disc?

7. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

It still needs to access the disc to boot it up, but that's not a bad idea.

8. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

My NHL 10 won't play anymore for the same reason. It gets to the "Press Start" screen and freezes. I tried installing but I got the dirty disc error. It happened right after a patch so hopefully it is the patch and not my system. >.<

Chuck

9. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Yeah I know, it still needs the disc. But if it'll boot up past that then he might be okay.

10. Sideways

Sideways Banned

Damn those terrorists.

11. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    A friends system has the same problem. It started off not being able to read MW2 and giving disk errors. Now it doesn't read any games but will occasionally allow him to watch a movie. From what we've gathered it seems the disk drive needs to be replaced ($120 charge from microsoft). If you search message boards you will be shocked how many others seem to have had the exact same problem.

Now my system got the RROD for the 2nd time last night.... I can't believe Microsoft can put out a product with so many problems and expect us to stay with their products. My next purchase will be a PS3. I truly love my 360 but once my system is out of warranty I will be done. I can't spend $200 on a new system knowing that IT WILL have issues. I keep reading that the new JASPER chip-set is safe but RROD seem to be popping up on those systems as well now. --Rant over, Sorry Just pissed off.--

12. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    It costs nothing to have your Xbox fixed/replaced by Microsoft if you got the RROD. So why are you buying new consoles each time?

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I could hazard a guess...

14. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Ah. Then in that case its not exactly Microsoft's fault then. Pirates deserve the RROD, twice and one in the eye!

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

No, you're thinking a too hard about it :lol 

16. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Temper tantrums? I haz no clue :( 

Damn you Twist for making me feel stupid. *Goes and cries in the corner*

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  17. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    No, I have never opened, modded or done anything to void my warranty. But thanks for thinking the worst.

I am sending it in for repair and have my system all boxed up and sitting on the counter to take to UPS. But I have 3 friends-- 2 disk drives and the 3rd an error not covered under the extended warranty-- who will have to pay $120 to have their units repaired. I was just stating at that point I would have a hard time buying/paying for repair of the xbox. I just would find it difficult to spend the money on a unit that is proven likely to fail.

18. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    It wasn't personal, sorry if it came accross that way. I'm just not a fan of those into the whole piracy dealio and wanted to warn those bastards off :lol 

19. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Rather then start another thread about 'disk error's, I'll resurrect this one.

I bought MGS: HD Collection the other day from ASDA, and while MGS3 worked, MGS2 didn't, it just gave me a 'disc read error, clean the disc with your ass' message. I didn't try MGS Peace walker.

Bollocks. From what I could tell, other games I have still work fine. I still run Skyrim (which is installed) and I ran... hmm can't remember what it was. Something else that's not installed and that ran fine.

I changed the game back at ASDA, but the EXACT same problem persists with this second copy as the first. I tried installing it, but it errors partway through. I cleared my cache, no luck. I even tried (as per MD site troubleshooting) to run the game without the hard drive attached, except the game won't run without SOME sort of storage media, ie, I need a memory card, which kinda makes that advice redundant.

I googled this issue, and google (un)helpfully pointed out a billion torrent threads where people who had burned their own MGS:HDC couldn't get it to run either. However, I gleaned 2 things from that search.

i) Its new copy protection technology and Microsoft have flagged my console, and the next time I go on LIVE they'll brick my online capability. Kinda unlikely as my 360 is completely legit... however I do wonder sometimes if MS have done something to my 360 remotely, because I have a lot of games, both disc based and DLC. So while MS have no real evidence against me, maybe my buying pattern HAS flagged up some automated piracy detecting software? I'm guessing my 360 now has some friendly MS approved trojan that won't let me play MGS (or other new software) forcing me to send it in and then have them verify piracy or not? Or am I being massively paranoid?

ii) Another thing that came up was something to do with adjusting the laser? Apparently all you need to do is adjust a screw right next to the laser emitter (calibrated by measuring the charge/voltage of the laser or summat) and once done hey presto, fully working 360. It could be this too, but although this is my second 360 after my RROD, I'm out of warrenty, it this faulyt is not RROD, so apparently I'll have to pay $100 (whatever the UK cost would be) to get this laser adjusted.

What to do? I'm going to email MS about this, because quite frankly not being able to play games on my games console is bullshit. If I wasn't so angry about this I'd have to make a pity thread about how I want to top myself. (I kid, I'm not even that angry, just annoyed).

To add insult to injury Xbox MGS2: Substance doesn't run on 360 either, and I've been hankering for a long time to play MGS2 again. Sure I could just plug in my Xbox and play THAT, but that would take too much effort.

Help me. Did I mention the suicidal thoughts bit? That normally gets a few bites. Go on. Help me, you know you want to.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  20. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

I don't know if emailing Microsoft will help but I called them about my NHL 10 and the guy was no help at all. I have tried four different copies of the game, one brand new and none of them work.
    A long time ago I bought Red Faction 2 for the original X-Box and noticed while playing that the game would slow down and almost freeze while trying to switch weapons. I looked at the disc to make sure it wasn't scratched and it looked fine. After trying the game again with the same hang ups happening I decided to play something else. While putting the game back in its case I applied a little bit of pressure on the disc and noticed that the disc was actually cracked. You couldn't see it unless you "bent the disc" a little bit.
    Not much help, I know.
    Maybe you should trade your system in and get a new one? If you are gonna have to spend money on getting it fixed it might be better to just trade it in for one with less miles on it.

Chuck