Modern Headmasters Idea

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by scorpio-prime, Jan 18, 2011.

1. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

There seems to be a few Headmasters topics popping up recently, and whilst theres alot of support for the idea of removable transforming heads making a return, I also see alot of opposition to the idea - most citing problems regarding the small size of TF heads these days, lack of head articulation, the ridiculous nature of little men curling up into impossible positions etc, so I got this idea...

After seeing this pic, it got me thinking, what if only the exo suits upper body transformed? That at least gets around the curling up issue...

[​IMG]

That then leaves the exo suits legs free to become the pegs which hold the head onto the main body - this means that the legs can be freely designed to articulate without having to integrate into any form of transformation, and leaves the hip ball joint free to double as the neck joint:

[​IMG]

Doing it this way means overall, the mech suit would be roughly the same size as Universe Cyclonus's Nightstick, and as half of its overall mass would be concealed within the robot once attached, the head mode wouldn't look ridiculously large and out of scale either.

Thoughts?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Interesting idea, but I would imagine this would just complicate matters for the main body, and it's transformation. Also, I would imagine that Hasbro would explain any modern headmaster's as being minicons, rather than people in exo-suits, so I don't think there would be a problem explaining why they could turn into heads.

Even with doing it this way, I think they would still look too big for Deluxe class figures. I think Voyager class figures would be better suited for this kind of gimmick.

3. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Works for me, I just want some new headmasters.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Sounds like more of a brainmasters kind of deal, but I'm still down with it.

You guys know about the fine work Headrobots is doing these days, right?

headrobots.com ยป

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was reminded of Brainmasters too.

I think the only thing Headmasters needs in terms of a concept update would be to have two heads. One on the figure as normal which can fold away into the chest and one that's the partner that transforms into a second head and pegs onto the now empty neck space. At least then if the partner got lost the main figure isn't now some headless thing. Create some story reason why the TF needs an extra head. Make it part of a play gimmick even, like stashing the main head and locking in the partner head flips out a hidden set of guns or something so bonding with a partner means more powerful functions.
    Honestly I don't think there was anything overly wrong with the old square Headmaster heads. Nice size and proportion and good heads. The Nebulans just needed a little bit more articulation, which is a piece of piss with today's joints.

Sure the TF would need to be at least Voyager size to have heads of a decent size to become partner robots, but that's not exactly a crime. Change the Headmaster gimmick slightly for Deluxes and Scouts and steal from the PCC Commanders where the figures have two heads built in and can swap between them, with one head the normal head and the other 'Power Up Master' head, perhaps with flipping them over unlocking coloured energy panels or a hidden gun.

6. scorpio-prime

How so? If anything, it simplifies the transformation due to having a hole to cover up in alt mode rather than a head - of course, you'd have the new concern of making the cockpit/driver compartment big enough for the mech suit to fit in, but this shouldn't be difficult to design.

The minicons idea is fine, and not difficult to explain storywise - the Headmasters are simply minicons who created new bodies for themselves so they could join the war directly.

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It would mean that the torso of the main body now has to accommodate the space for the headmaster's legs. Wouldn't be impossible, but it would complicate things, imho. Especially for Deluxe class figures. Might not adversely affect a Voyager too much in comparison.

It would all really depend on how Hasbro would handle the gimmick. Part of me just can't see them attempting a modern Headmaster for some reason. However I would love to be proved wrong.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Your idea isn't bad but..I just hate the idea of Headmasters in general, it was a stupid concept from the start. Targetmasters I can get behind, sure, that's kinda cool, but a robot turning into a head...just lame IMO.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^This.

Does it help that Headmaster in Animated was total n00b.

10. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I've always liked the idea of Headmasters but in my own personal TF 'verse, they're not seperate characters/humans/nebulons but simply an extension of the main 'bot. Something where they can 'park' their vehicle modes and interact with humans in their 'headmaster' forms at the humans level instead of a 30' robot trying to interact with a 6' human. This would also facilitate the TFs interacting with the humans within the humans' buildings, ships, etc. Unlike G1 where every human building somehow can accomodate a 30' tall robot.

11. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    This is why I always liked and much preferred the Japanese version of the Headmasters story. It made more sense to me that smaller robots would make lager bodies for themselves to defend against larger foes.

12. scorpio-prime

As long as you have a fairly solid block of plastic forming the torso region, it really wouldn't be at all complex, all you need is around a 3/4' deep friction slot, that would hold the head in place perfectly well.

13. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Ya, realistically, if you would normally hide a head in that area anyway, allowing for the legs of a HM of this sort wouldnt make a difference in terms of space allowance or added complexity of the main body figure.

14. Suntzu28

Suntzu28 Well-Known Member

I've more or less come to have this view point on the Headmasters myself. Im still undecided if i'm going to completely ignore the idea of humans or humanoids in the exo suit though. The idea appeals to me but not if the humans are in a "drivers seat " . Of course that leads back to the "folding body " issue ...

15. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would be cool, they would need to be at least voyagers though, or the headmasters would be tiny to be Deluxe heads.

16. scorpio-prime

I reckon its an idea worth a look anyway - the concept of organics having partial control over the mind of a robot aside, the idea of detachable, transformable heads will always be intriguing from both a toy and fictional perspective.

17. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Robots with an organic history worked well for the Go-Bots, so why not here?

18. scorpio-prime

The implication that having organic backgrounds aided the downfall of Gobots is not even witty enough to qualify as 'sarcasm'...

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I don't see what the problem is with Headmasters in the first place. If the idea of sentient robots from another planet is fine and dandy, I don't see why the idea of them bringing technology with them to transform humanoids into heads is beyond the pale of belief. :p 

20. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I was a Headmaster fan as a kid. I had Hardhead and though brick-ish, I liked the Headmaster aspect. But I wasn't a fan of the show and the whole separate organism in his head thing. I just thought of it as a more portable version of himself. Like that, I can dig a new line of Headmasters, but if they go back to the way it was, the figs better be fantastic.

I mean, Daniel was Arcee's head. Weirdness.

No need for single quotes in your sentence. Single quotes are for quoting within a quote. But its cool, lots of people use them incorrectly in attempts to sound clever.

RaR!