Customs: Model Masters vs Tamiya

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Wingsbr, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I'm another fan of Model Master acrylics. I airbrush my customs, and I don't like having to thin the Tamiya paint. It leaves an orange peel texture, if I don't. If you're not airbrushing, that's not going to be a concern.

2. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    WOW! Thanks for the info and you do some really nice work. I will be looking at your site while I paint my customs and my fiancee told me that she likes to paint to so we are going to do some customs together.

3. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    WOW! Thanks for the info and you do some really nice work. I will be looking at your site while I paint my customs and my fiancee told me that she likes to paint to so we are going to do some customs together.

4. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    Very nice work. I really like that hoist alt that you did, the crane in the back was a nice touch. Do you take your tf's apart before you paint them?

5. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    Very nice work. I really like that hoist alt that you did, the crane in the back was a nice touch. Do you take your tf's apart before you paint them?

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    usually, although I don't knock out pins. that's too much trouble.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    usually, although I don't knock out pins. that's too much trouble.

8. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I use both, but recently I've found that the spray-on Tamiya paints are really good. ESPECIALLY metallic colors. I also did a Classics T-Cracker using Tamiya spray colors

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=134282

Yeah, we seemed to fancy the Thundercrackers for the while. But you can see how smooth the silver coat sprays on. The blue came out very nice, too.

edit: Oh, and IN this link, you'll find another link to Thundercracker's repaint--which is where I got my inspiration. So you should by now have THREE Classics TC examples to go by. :D 

end edit

I tend to spray very light coats every half hour or so. (or longer, if I don't get back to it.) I don't sand much of anything down, as too many parts need to 'click' in place and sanding would take that away. I did grind down the bump catches on the tails as they did scratch at the paint pretty bad.

And yeah, I've got an extra Ramjet I've already carved up to make into a Dirge as well. Might be a while before I finally get to it--have too much going on right now.

9. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I use both, but recently I've found that the spray-on Tamiya paints are really good. ESPECIALLY metallic colors. I also did a Classics T-Cracker using Tamiya spray colors

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=134282

Yeah, we seemed to fancy the Thundercrackers for the while. But you can see how smooth the silver coat sprays on. The blue came out very nice, too.

edit: Oh, and IN this link, you'll find another link to Thundercracker's repaint--which is where I got my inspiration. So you should by now have THREE Classics TC examples to go by. :D 

end edit

I tend to spray very light coats every half hour or so. (or longer, if I don't get back to it.) I don't sand much of anything down, as too many parts need to 'click' in place and sanding would take that away. I did grind down the bump catches on the tails as they did scratch at the paint pretty bad.

And yeah, I've got an extra Ramjet I've already carved up to make into a Dirge as well. Might be a while before I finally get to it--have too much going on right now.

10. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    I really like the detail that you put on this. In reviewing all 3 I notice that the sprayed versions seems to look less, bulky should I say. I don't know if that's the right word but if I can make some sense of it I'll try. When Hasbro does alot of their toys they use colored plastic and very little paint, on the first one done by ckhtiger it seems like there are layers and he hand painted, on the other 2 (yours and tc's) It seems more like colored plastic. I really like the idea of painting by hand for 2 reasons. One I live in Florida and the number of days that are 60-80 with low humidity are about the number of fingers on my left hand and two I don't see myself spraying in my bedroom as I'll probably pass out. :drunk  Is there a way to hand paint but get the same result of yours and tc's or is that just one of the differences in the 2 applications? Thanks to all of you for helping me out, I have learned so much from reading all of this!!!

11. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    I really like the detail that you put on this. In reviewing all 3 I notice that the sprayed versions seems to look less, bulky should I say. I don't know if that's the right word but if I can make some sense of it I'll try. When Hasbro does alot of their toys they use colored plastic and very little paint, on the first one done by ckhtiger it seems like there are layers and he hand painted, on the other 2 (yours and tc's) It seems more like colored plastic. I really like the idea of painting by hand for 2 reasons. One I live in Florida and the number of days that are 60-80 with low humidity are about the number of fingers on my left hand and two I don't see myself spraying in my bedroom as I'll probably pass out. :drunk  Is there a way to hand paint but get the same result of yours and tc's or is that just one of the differences in the 2 applications? Thanks to all of you for helping me out, I have learned so much from reading all of this!!!

12. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    Also I know how to get the pins out thanks to OPS thread, but how do you get them back in? Same process in reverse??

13. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    Also I know how to get the pins out thanks to OPS thread, but how do you get them back in? Same process in reverse??

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    you know in mine I only did two coats of paint. however I don't thin it like some people suggest with tamiya paints. the other thing is that for whatever reason, mine seems a lot glossier, even though I didn't put any kind of clear coat on.

15. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    you know in mine I only did two coats of paint. however I don't thin it like some people suggest with tamiya paints. the other thing is that for whatever reason, mine seems a lot glossier, even though I didn't put any kind of clear coat on.

16. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    That makes sense. I've read that tamiya should be used with thinner. My problem is that I really like the glossy look that you have, but I also like the thinned out look of the others. Me thinks I will use my powers of persuasion and wake up tomorrow and it will all be perfectly done all by sleeping at a Holiday Inn Express. :) 

17. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    That makes sense. I've read that tamiya should be used with thinner. My problem is that I really like the glossy look that you have, but I also like the thinned out look of the others. Me thinks I will use my powers of persuasion and wake up tomorrow and it will all be perfectly done all by sleeping at a Holiday Inn Express. :) 

18. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    by the way, noone ever posted in it so it got shucked down the listings real quick, but I put up a walk-through of how to do dirge real easy, and I'm going to update it with info about thrust, except I hit a big snag yesterday. my drill was bigger than I thought and it went through part of the wing :(  here's the linky:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=145103

19. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    by the way, noone ever posted in it so it got shucked down the listings real quick, but I put up a walk-through of how to do dirge real easy, and I'm going to update it with info about thrust, except I hit a big snag yesterday. my drill was bigger than I thought and it went through part of the wing :(  here's the linky:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=145103

20. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    Well thanks to everyone on this thread I went to my local hobbytown (didn't even know we had one) and picked up the tamiya sprays for tc and got a boat load of tools that were recommended on all the threads I've looked at and can't wait to post some pics. It will be a while as I wait to get those non humid days in Florida, all 2 of them. :) 

@ckhtiger - thanks for that tutorial. dirge is my next one, then thrust.