Customs: Model Masters vs Tamiya

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Wingsbr, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    I have been doing a lot of research on this forum about repaints and OPS thread is really a great resource. I went to a local hobby store today and I left pretty darn confused. They have model masters, tamiya, gloss, matte and so on. I was talking to the guy at the store and he recommended airbrushing vs hand painting but I'm just not sure what to do. I also looked at different brushes and tools and I seriously just don't even know where to start. Can anyone give me some good direction? I am wanting to turn my 3 extra classics into the full seeker set and I also would like to repaint some others in the future. Thanks in advance.

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I prefer hand painting with tamiya. I did classics thundercracker here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=143897

I've used it and model master, and I just feel that the tamiya paint glides on smoother and is MUCH less likely to leave brush strokes.

I'm now finishing up the assembly work on dirge and thrust, just like you. I ordered my paint from towerhobbies.com, and they have a huge selection of paints and bottle sizes. just be cautious that the paint may be a shade or two off from the pictures.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I prefer hand painting with tamiya. I did classics thundercracker here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=143897

I've used it and model master, and I just feel that the tamiya paint glides on smoother and is MUCH less likely to leave brush strokes.

I'm now finishing up the assembly work on dirge and thrust, just like you. I ordered my paint from towerhobbies.com, and they have a huge selection of paints and bottle sizes. just be cautious that the paint may be a shade or two off from the pictures.

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I agree with ckhtiger, I really like Tamiya paints. I just started hand brushing my customs. One thing I learned from my experience so far is to definitely thin down the paint and do s couple of coats with thin layers. It helps retain the detailing.

I personally prefer to use acrylic paints with a matte finish for anything but cars. I think it makes the detailing a lot more striking

5. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I agree with ckhtiger, I really like Tamiya paints. I just started hand brushing my customs. One thing I learned from my experience so far is to definitely thin down the paint and do s couple of coats with thin layers. It helps retain the detailing.

I personally prefer to use acrylic paints with a matte finish for anything but cars. I think it makes the detailing a lot more striking

6. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    WOW! That is nice work. Did you paint that all by hand?

My other question is did you have to sand down any of the parts so the paint doesn't rub or chip when you transform? My only try at painting tf's before was taking Armada Unicrons feet and painting them silver and I got rub from where the feet fold in, but I made a few mistakes that I know of. First, I painted to close and got drips and too much in one area, not enough in the other. I also only waited about 6 hours before I put it back together and transformed it. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

7. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    WOW! That is nice work. Did you paint that all by hand?

My other question is did you have to sand down any of the parts so the paint doesn't rub or chip when you transform? My only try at painting tf's before was taking Armada Unicrons feet and painting them silver and I got rub from where the feet fold in, but I made a few mistakes that I know of. First, I painted to close and got drips and too much in one area, not enough in the other. I also only waited about 6 hours before I put it back together and transformed it. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

8. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    Do you dry between coats an if so what is the timeframe?

9. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    Do you dry between coats an if so what is the timeframe?

10. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    tamiya metallics go on so smooooth and are durable as hell

11. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    tamiya metallics go on so smooooth and are durable as hell

12. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I wait 45 minutes to an hour, but I just may be a little too impatient.

13. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I wait 45 minutes to an hour, but I just may be a little too impatient.

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    yup, all by hand, it goes on that easily. but no, I didn't sand anything, so there's a bit of rubbing during transformation, which is why I took pics in one mode, transformed it, touched it up, and then took pics in the other mode ;) 

by the way, click on the link in my sig for "in my customs" to see the rest of what I've done. all of it was done by hand. the armada laserbeak and energon tow-line into ratchet being my first two, which were the only ones done with enamels, and the alternators hoist and stepper being the only ones that I used krylon fusion spray paint on.

15. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    yup, all by hand, it goes on that easily. but no, I didn't sand anything, so there's a bit of rubbing during transformation, which is why I took pics in one mode, transformed it, touched it up, and then took pics in the other mode ;) 

by the way, click on the link in my sig for "in my customs" to see the rest of what I've done. all of it was done by hand. the armada laserbeak and energon tow-line into ratchet being my first two, which were the only ones done with enamels, and the alternators hoist and stepper being the only ones that I used krylon fusion spray paint on.

16. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    I use Model Masters mainly cause I can never find the colors I want in the Tamiya. But I also use the spray cans for an even coat, and I like the orange peal texture, if you clear coat early enough you get a nice wet look.

Like the can says you just use a light mist two to three coats at two minute intervals. They say to wait two hours for the clear coat but I don't. I usuall apply it 10 minutes after my last top coat. You'll want to prime your parts first as well.

s for painting itself... you'd probably be best to spray the primary coats like your blues and reds and then mask off and paint the secondary colors as well. It'll provide a more even color and remove the risk of brush marks and well thumbprints. After that dries you can add smaller detail by brush.

17. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    I use Model Masters mainly cause I can never find the colors I want in the Tamiya. But I also use the spray cans for an even coat, and I like the orange peal texture, if you clear coat early enough you get a nice wet look.

Like the can says you just use a light mist two to three coats at two minute intervals. They say to wait two hours for the clear coat but I don't. I usuall apply it 10 minutes after my last top coat. You'll want to prime your parts first as well.

s for painting itself... you'd probably be best to spray the primary coats like your blues and reds and then mask off and paint the secondary colors as well. It'll provide a more even color and remove the risk of brush marks and well thumbprints. After that dries you can add smaller detail by brush.

18. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    This list of guides and tutorials should help get you started!

http://www.jinsaotomesdangeroustoys.com/guides.html

Anything you see in there including the painting guide can be used for Transformer customs. It's how I paint mine. I found that Testors model master Acrylics from their fantasy series or acryl line work the best for me. It depends on how you want your TF's to look and what techniques you want to do. Tamy paints don't dryrbush well or mix with water for washes in my opinion so I don't use them. However they provide a superflat 'Gundam' kit look when airbrushed. They stick just as good as testors but dry too fast for me and thinning them with water ends up making them milky. I was forced to use their brand of thinner and just gave up.

19. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    This list of guides and tutorials should help get you started!

http://www.jinsaotomesdangeroustoys.com/guides.html

Anything you see in there including the painting guide can be used for Transformer customs. It's how I paint mine. I found that Testors model master Acrylics from their fantasy series or acryl line work the best for me. It depends on how you want your TF's to look and what techniques you want to do. Tamy paints don't dryrbush well or mix with water for washes in my opinion so I don't use them. However they provide a superflat 'Gundam' kit look when airbrushed. They stick just as good as testors but dry too fast for me and thinning them with water ends up making them milky. I was forced to use their brand of thinner and just gave up.

20. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I'm another fan of Model Master acrylics. I airbrush my customs, and I don't like having to thin the Tamiya paint. It leaves an orange peel texture, if I don't. If you're not airbrushing, that's not going to be a concern.