Customs: Model Master Pearl Paint Question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by koh4711, Aug 3, 2011.

1. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    I've only been working with the Model Master paints a short time, but I really love working with them. I followed Jin's tutorial about thinning and using multiple layers, and it's worked pretty well.

However, I started trying to do a ROTF Sideswipe kitbash using the Blue Pearl paint, and the results thus far have been... well, less than pleasing to this point. Does anyone know if these paints are designed to be partially translucent? I'm thinking I might try getting a flat blue and laying that as a base, and put a coat or two of the Pearl over the top, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had experience with these particular colors before.

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    pearl paints in general I think are semi translucent to the best of my knowledge. They are better to be sprayed than brushed on though, you get the full effect of the paint that way. :thumb .

3. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    this. They are designed to be layered on top of an existing color. For instance, spraying a blue pearl, you would want a blue base... for most cases... until you get into a more advance stage of painting.

I wish I could help you with brushing, but I can't brush pearls to save my life..

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :) , wow, guess I know mah sheit better than I thought I did, lol. Hey, does that mean that the sunrise yellow I used on my bb should have been over a yellow base then dave?

5. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    lol...you do!

And yeah, that would have been best. If not yellow, then white. Depending on how strong the yellow pigment was in the color.

6. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    Thanks for the head's up! I used a plain red on my first kitbash, so I was a little confused as to why this one wasn't working quite right. So I'll pick up some more flat colors this weekend and fix it up.

I'd love to airbrush them, but our apartment doesn't have a spot with good ventilation.

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty strong... Even with everything settled, its still yellow, lol. But it did go over white, so I'm good.

To the op, hope everything works out for ther best for ya! And as for ventilation, just do it outside man. No harm no foul.