Customs: Model Kit Kitbash Questions

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by weaponx82, Aug 20, 2007.

1. weaponx82

weaponx82 Well-Known Member

I've done some looking but haven't come across anything yet. I was looking for any kitbashes that used actual model kits in their kitbashes.

For example, I was thinking of doing an Optimus Prime using a kenworth model kit and possibly some other model kits for the robot body base to create a more alternators/movie style optimus prime.

I'm not looking to make one that would transform. Just something that would look really good when finished.

Could anyone give me any recommendations/ideas or point me in the right direction for research?

Thanks in advance.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    look in the gallery. there's reshelled alternators, and a non-tranforming powerglide that used models

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    look in the gallery. there's reshelled alternators, and a non-tranforming powerglide that used models

4. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  5. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  6. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yep. Over the past year or so, I have built up a collection of car, military and aircraft model kits based mainly on the the '84 and '85 G1 lines. I plan on making as many fully articulated G1 figures as I can. I'm trying to build a few that will actually transform, but I enjoy building these maquette style figures a lot. I'm also working on a few TF Movie figures as well.

In the works (all at various stages on planning or actual building):
    Prime, Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Huffer, Brawn, Wheeljack, Hoist, Trailbreaker, Superion, Prowl, Bluestreak, Warpath, Springer, Kup, Megatron (G2), Seekers, Blitzwing, Devastator as well as a few movieverse versions of Bumblebee, Barricade and Soundwave.

7. timshinn73

Ebay:
    Yep. Over the past year or so, I have built up a collection of car, military and aircraft model kits based mainly on the the '84 and '85 G1 lines. I plan on making as many fully articulated G1 figures as I can. I'm trying to build a few that will actually transform, but I enjoy building these maquette style figures a lot. I'm also working on a few TF Movie figures as well.

In the works (all at various stages on planning or actual building):
    Prime, Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Huffer, Brawn, Wheeljack, Hoist, Trailbreaker, Superion, Prowl, Bluestreak, Warpath, Springer, Kup, Megatron (G2), Seekers, Blitzwing, Devastator as well as a few movieverse versions of Bumblebee, Barricade and Soundwave.

8. weaponx82

That's pretty cool. How far along are you? Do you have any pics? And what are you/do you plan on using for the robot bodies themselves?

9. weaponx82

That's pretty cool. How far along are you? Do you have any pics? And what are you/do you plan on using for the robot bodies themselves?

10. timshinn73

Ebay:
    Do a search for topics started by me. You'll see what I've done so far.

11. timshinn73

Ebay:
    Do a search for topics started by me. You'll see what I've done so far.

12. weaponx82

My god, man. That Swindle/Drone you created has left me speechless. That is pretty much the style I would like to go for.

Didn't think the LEGOs would do what I want but I see you have proven me wrong!

Looks like I'll be doing some lego searching!

13. weaponx82

My god, man. That Swindle/Drone you created has left me speechless. That is pretty much the style I would like to go for.

Didn't think the LEGOs would do what I want but I see you have proven me wrong!

Looks like I'll be doing some lego searching!

14. weaponx82

timshinn73:

So on your drone. How did you go about adhering the car parts to the skeleton? Were you able to take them off while working on it or did you have to do a lot of thinking ahead before you put them on?

I can only think of using some type of modelers glue to put the pieces on. Meaning I wouldn't be able to try different car piece combinations and would have to thoroughly plan it out before trying much out.

15. weaponx82

timshinn73:

So on your drone. How did you go about adhering the car parts to the skeleton? Were you able to take them off while working on it or did you have to do a lot of thinking ahead before you put them on?

I can only think of using some type of modelers glue to put the pieces on. Meaning I wouldn't be able to try different car piece combinations and would have to thoroughly plan it out before trying much out.

16. timshinn73

Ebay:
    Tons of pre-planning. But I didn't make notes or do any preliminary sketches. Just kept it all in my head. I had some printouts for reference (toy and video game pics). I wanted to keep close to the toy transformation, so visualizing the cuts on the car shell were pretty easy. For the chasis and interior, I knew I had to keep certain parts close to a given area of the bot's body in order for it to look "real". I let the model tell me where to cut, place and glue it, if that makes any sense at all.

Basically I assembles the skeleton and glued only the chasis and interior parts on first after lots of cutting and prefitting. Modifications were made to the lego parts to get the proportions to where I wanted them. Besides cutting and sanding, I tried not to do any heavy modification to the actual car parts. Only a very few extra pieces of styrene were used on this figure. Makes it harder in some cases, but since the lego skeleton is the big cheat, I didn't want to do any more. Plus, I like to challenge myself. Good mental exercise. All those components were then painted and detailed.

Then I cut, sanded, test fit, painted and detailed the car shell parts seperatly. I then glued the shell onto the bot. The parts involving the clear bits were the very last to be added so to keep scratches and such to a minimum. In the end, I was left with only a few crumbs from the original model kit. I guess if I had to, I could find somewhere to add them in.

17. timshinn73

Ebay:
    Tons of pre-planning. But I didn't make notes or do any preliminary sketches. Just kept it all in my head. I had some printouts for reference (toy and video game pics). I wanted to keep close to the toy transformation, so visualizing the cuts on the car shell were pretty easy. For the chasis and interior, I knew I had to keep certain parts close to a given area of the bot's body in order for it to look "real". I let the model tell me where to cut, place and glue it, if that makes any sense at all.

Basically I assembles the skeleton and glued only the chasis and interior parts on first after lots of cutting and prefitting. Modifications were made to the lego parts to get the proportions to where I wanted them. Besides cutting and sanding, I tried not to do any heavy modification to the actual car parts. Only a very few extra pieces of styrene were used on this figure. Makes it harder in some cases, but since the lego skeleton is the big cheat, I didn't want to do any more. Plus, I like to challenge myself. Good mental exercise. All those components were then painted and detailed.

Then I cut, sanded, test fit, painted and detailed the car shell parts seperatly. I then glued the shell onto the bot. The parts involving the clear bits were the very last to be added so to keep scratches and such to a minimum. In the end, I was left with only a few crumbs from the original model kit. I guess if I had to, I could find somewhere to add them in.

18. weaponx82

Thanks for the healthy explanation. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. I've never done anything like this before so it's going to be a big learning process. I doubt it will come out exactly the way I want or as nice but it will be a start. Depending on how it turns out, I may make a second for improvement.

So far it seems a bit of a challenge to find a long nosed semi. Let alone the right scale and a similar enough model to what's in the movie. I think I'll have to hit e-bay.

Hopefully I can find the right scale on the first purchase. Don't want it to be too large or too small for the skeleton.

I guess that's part of the challenge/fun though.

19. weaponx82

Thanks for the healthy explanation. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. I've never done anything like this before so it's going to be a big learning process. I doubt it will come out exactly the way I want or as nice but it will be a start. Depending on how it turns out, I may make a second for improvement.

So far it seems a bit of a challenge to find a long nosed semi. Let alone the right scale and a similar enough model to what's in the movie. I think I'll have to hit e-bay.

Hopefully I can find the right scale on the first purchase. Don't want it to be too large or too small for the skeleton.

I guess that's part of the challenge/fun though.

20. timshinn73

Ebay:
    Maybe These will help:

Peterbilt Models

More Trucks

If Movie Prime is what you're shooting for, you'll need to fabricate some of the parts yourself since he is not a straight factory model. The back fenders come to mind. Also, if this is to be a test run, I'd suggest the 1:25 scale Peterbilt 359 based on shape and more importantly price. Less than $20. Some of these semi kits can get pretty pricey. I'm working on a more G1 Prime and the flatnose semi kit I bought wasn't super expensive, but it wasn't cheap either.