Mobile Suit Gundam Movies, need help

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Bumble Prime, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

So I just bought a 1/100 scale MG kit of Zeta Gundam and I wanna learn some more about it, so I'm looking for the Universal Century Gundam movies.

I'm not real familiar with how many there are, I only own Char's counterattack and I would love to see how we get from RX-78-2 vs. Zeong to Nu Gundam vs. Sazabi.

So which ones should I look for? Any links to sites that have them would be greatly appreciated too!

Thanks!

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    There's a DVD box set of the first three 0079 movies. the Zeta Gundam doesnt show up in there, BUT its where all this began, and the movies are great, so you should get the set if you can. the TV series is painful to watch, avoid that.

The Zeta movies havent been released in the US yet (and I really dont think they ever will be), but the TV series was. great series, and I prefer it to the condensed movies. the movies also really fuck up continuity going into ZZ Gundam (avoid that series, not that good, they essentially rape the Z Gundam by putting a zaku head on it).

TV Nihon did sub the Zeta movies, so they are available that way. I'd still suggest watching the series instead.

3. Bumble Prime

Yeah I saw the 0079 gundam movie trilogy, definitely picking that up when I get a chance. I already watched the entire original series when it was Toonami.

Sucks to hear about the Zeta Movies, I dont know if I wanna pony up cash to buy an ENTIRE boxset to watch all of Zeta.

The prices on bandai's dvd's are ridiculous, I have the 08th MS Team set and I only payed 25 for it, but I know retail was way higher and secondary market prices seem to be around 80-90. I've always wondered why this wasconsidering that there are only 12 episodes and a horrible movie, maybe just bad distribution and original Bandai markups?

on a side note. Does ZZ gundam actually have Amuro and Char in it? Or was it mostly a spinoff of Zeta, introducing bigger crazier suits with less story?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    If you wanted a taster of Z Gundam, this youtube user YouTube - GundamGrimlock's Channel has pretty much the entire series uploaded.

One thing to mention, it is the dubbed version.

5. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Yay! I can answer these questions!

You got the orignal animated series called Mobile Suit Gundam, but if you want to save yourself some time, the entire animated series was compressed into 3 movies, that progress the story really well.

The entire animated series of the orignal Gundam is called Mobile Suit Gundam

Then the movies are called
    Mobile Suit Gundam I (I dont know if it has a full title sorry :(  )
    Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow
    Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encoutners in Space

Those are all the orignal Gundam story, taking place in 0079, Universal Century.

Next up is Zeta Gundam which did a similar format. You have the Zeta Gundam series, and then you got movies that compress the story, but I havent seen those. Series is called Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam.

Movies are called...
    Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam I: Heirs to the Stars
    Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam II: Lovers
    Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam III: Love is the Pulse of the Stars

There's a few other universeal century movies too like, as mentioned Chars Counter Attack. There's also Mobile Suit Gundam F91, which I thought was kinda... meh. It's not exactly a movie, but short and sweet series, there's Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, which houses my favorate Gundam that'll never get the light of day. :p 

Hope I helped.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Nope.

Yup.

7. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, I was going to say- the movies are pretty much snippets of the show put together somewhat coherently. I'd suggest watching the shows themselves, in their entirety. MSGundam, Z Gundam, and CCA I think are the only ones that feature Char and Amuro, there's probably more, can't think right now. Zeta kind of follows someone else, though, if I'm not mistaken (never watched it myself).

8. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Sorry for the nit picking but Z Gundam and Zeta Gundam are the same thing. Except ZZ Gundam, that one is waaaaay outta there!

Zeta Gundam is about a different main character (fucken-A-Kamile!), but does feature Amuro and Char, and Char actually has a very significant impact to the whole thing.

9. Bumble Prime

Hey daggers rage!

Alex is my favorite Gundam too! War in the pocket was pretty good i thought. I liked that it took place in a colony.

I caught a lil of 0083 when it was on waaaayy back in the day. I have always been severely pissed that Toonami and cartoon network always steered away from 80's type story telling anime's to cater to the one episode story arc types that were very one dimensional. This was really bad in Gundam, cuz just as MS Gundam ended they were following up with 0080 and 0083 but then all the airtime went to G Gundam (ugh... wtf...) and more Gundam Wing re-runs.

10. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    SWEET! I wasn't aware that TV_Nihon had done the Zeta trilogy! I've heard from a lot of people (well, pretty much everybody in the know) that the movies are inferior to the series, but dang it, I love me some Zeta Gundam. My favourite mecha EVER and one of my favourite animes!

11. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm kind of a fan of Zeta Gundam (my name says it all)

The Zeta Gundam, like everyone has said, shows up in the Zeta Gundam series and ZZ... I highly recommend you pick up the series. As for ZZ, it REALLY isn't that bad after you get past the first 12 episodes... sadly, there's not an official release of it.

12. Bumble Prime

ill definitely see if maybe i can pick up an international release since i have divx dvd player that converts PAL and is region free.

If anyone has any leads, that'd be awesome! thanks!

13. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

The Anime Legends release of Zeta gundam is pretty cheap, I'd recommend going that way (couple of each on eBay for $35/free shipping on ebay). Otherwise, Bandai just did a Blu Ray release of Zeta, but it's really, really expensive and has no subs, but there are groups putting it online with subs from the official US release.

As for ZZ, it's worth a watch, but the only thing available in English are some fairly meh HK subs. They help you get the gist, and actually make sense in most episodes, but are still pretty cruddy.

14. Boo

Ebay:
    Y'know, I watched all the way through Z Gundam movie 1 and am about halfway through Z Gundam 2... they don't seem that bad to me, honestly. Definitely not as good as the series, no, but hardly horrible. A few choppy (in terms of story) transitions here and there because of the compressed nature, but it's certainly watchable and fun. The new animation is beautiful, and while maybe it's just because I've been watching them on my PSP, I've hardly been bothered by transitioning from new to old... that could be a different story if I watched on my computer screen or on TV, though.

On a side note... I haven't watched a TV-Nihon sub in a very long time. Super Link was probably the last. Man, I forgot how annoying it is when they just leave seeming random words/phrases untranslated! Thankfully they give a brief description of what it means the first time it appears, but damn... just translate it to the best English equivalent! YARRR! Ah well... other than that, they do a fantastic job!:) 

15. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

The animation transition is quite jarring if watched on a larger screen, wish they would have worked on making the animation fit together better. Also, the movies aren't terrible, they're just not as good as the series, though they do provide a more definitive end (though the lack of a defnitive end to Z really wasn't much of a problem to begin with since ZZ finishes everything up, and ZZ is nowhere near as bad as alot of people like to make it out to be).

16. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V I protect those I care 4

so besides the OYW, 0080, 08th MS Team, 0083, G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed - Destiny and now Gundam 00, have the other series's been dubbed as well?

it's not that I particularly prefer dubs to subtitles, but when it comes to being up @4AM it's nice to just listen and watch instead of listen/read/watch...

which btw, I'm starting on Stardust Memory right now, I don't think Toonami ever finished airing the original MS Gundam series, and besides War in the Pocket, are there any others in between MSG & 0083:SM?

17. Iron Spider-Man

Iron Spider-Man Banned

News Credits:
    mahq.net has a good listing of all the Gundam series and movies, from every continuity. The other big Universal Century series that hasn't made it (probably won't sadly =/) to the US is Victory Gundam, which is set after F91. There are two other, non-UC series that haven't made it to the US also, and those are Gundam X and Turn A Gundam.

The coolest part about Turn A Gundam, aside from its mustache, is it heavily implied that all the Gundam series before it were part of a singular timeline. Of course, now that Gundam SEED and 00 Gundam are out, I am pretty sure that timeline gets thrown out the window.

18. Boo

Ebay:
    You missed Zeta Gundam (Z Gundam) from that list of dubs. The entire series is out, but the compilation movies have yet to be given an official US release - niether subbed, nor dubbed. I believe they have been licensed, though, and will hopefully be out sometime this year.

No, I think that's it. 08th Mobile Suit Team occurs during the OYW, as does (at least most of) MS:Igloo, at least according to my understanding.

19. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Many people prefer Z Gundam as their favorite Gundam series ever. Definitely go for that instead of the Zeta movie trilogy. The Z Gundam movie trilogy introduces a lot of continuity errors, and it completely changes the ending. It has brand-spankin'-new gorgeous animation for maybe 1/3 of each movie, and the remaining 2/3 is the hideous-by-comparison 80s animation. It is not seamless.

For a complete role reversal, I prefer the original Gundam movie trilogy over the TV series.

20. Boo

Ebay:
    I totally agree that the series is much better than the Z trilogy, but dang it, I still like the trilogy. The sudden change in animation really doesn't bother me that much, even after watching it on a larger screen than my PSP. But even still... yeah, the series kicks butt.:) 

Never saw oo much of 0079, just the movie trilogy. I love that, though.:)