Moar Prime in CHUG?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mmhand, Mar 7, 2011.

1. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

As I was checking out the G2 Laser Prime figure in Generations, I started thinking about the importance of having a new Prime mold in the line. In most figure lines, a new version of the main character (or characters) appears in most waves.

Some examples: Batman is always updated in Batman lines; Duke, Snake-eyes are almost always present in GI Joe waves; Darth Vader gets a rerelease or update about every week in the Star Wars line. While endless variants of the main characters irritate hard core fans, they allow the toy companies to appeal to casual fans and hopefully earn enough money to do the lesser known characters.

Optimus Prime is definitely the most well-known character in the Transformers franchise. As such, I think it is important to keep a version of him on the shelves. While the movie lines have shoved endless versions of Prime down our throats (as they should since it is the line to most attract casual fans), I wonder if the CHUG lines need more Prime figures.

What do you think?

If you do think that there should always be an Optimus Prime on the shelves, would you rather have rereleases or all new molds.

2. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    There is still the WFC Prime on some pegs. So he's still out there and when G2 starts reaching saturation there should be plenty of Prime for a bit.

I would rather have new molds or remolds instead of a new prime in each subline.

3. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

I forgot about wfc Prime. It does seem like there are plenty of options for Prime at the moment. I think I was more focused on the entire Universe 2.0 lacking a Prime. A mistake IMO.

4. 009*

009* That Guy In Nebraska

News Credits:
    I'm more concerned about the lack of Megatron. Aside from the deluxe figure no likes, we haven't had a decent Megatron figure in the CHUG line since the Voyager in '06.

5. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    the fact that we still haven't gotten a good classics style prime (other than masterpiece and the new legends) that has his g1 alt mode still baffles me

6. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Forget Optimus let's just get CHUG Sentinel Prime,Rodimus Prime,Prima,The Fallen, & Big Convoy.

7. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I agree with everything in the first post, although I also think it's worth pointing out that Hasbro seems more and more to be treating Bumblebee as the poster boy of the Transformers franchise. I expect him and Optimus both to get roughly equal treatment in future lines.

And I think a mix of rereleases/repaints and new molds is best because it allows Hasbro to save on costs while keeping the face of the franchise available to buy - and then lets them have more budgeting for the more "hardcore" collectors' wants.

8. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I can't wait for a deluxe classics RID prime. Its gonna happen at some point.

9. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'd love that

10. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a couple of Kabaya candy toys of G1 and Classics-style Voyager Prime that were released several months ago, as part of a wave that included Star Saber.

You have to assemble the toys yourself, but from what I've read they're good molds for candy toys.

11. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

No kidding. Throughout the history of the Transformers brand, Megatron has been shortchanged with fewer variants and less desirable molds compared to Prime.

Baffles me as well. I was amazed that the crappy Classics deluxe two-pack Prime was rereleased yet again in the United line. His ugly headsculpt even adorns the packaging! How hard would it be to make a GOOD G1 accurate Prime. Not as a reimagined figure like Classics Prime (which I do love) but a revisiting of the original figure (ala RTS Jazz)

I agree. Though to be honest, movie Bee is the version of the character that has become popular and other versions of the character (excluding Transformers: Prime) vary significantly from the movie version. I wonder if casual fans would have much interest in the G1 version.

Those do look cool...but a pain to put together. I definitely plan on getting the one based on God Ginrai / Powermaster Prime. I really wish Hastak would make a CHUG update to Powermaster Prime.

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    powermaster prime or gtfo no more regular primes

13. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    I just don't want anymore deluxe Primes (or Megatrons, or Starscreams)

I do think a Powermaster Prime redo/homage should be on the plate ~ that was a fantastic design that was seriously hamstrung by the tech of the time. A Powermaster Prime executed at the level of Galaxy Convoy and Classics Prime would be sweeeeeeet.

14. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

^ I would prefer to get away from deluxe size for the leaders as well. I would be livid if we got a Powermaster Prime update in deluxe size :( 

15. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    totally ~ i passed on Galvatron because of the size, and am pretty "meh" on G2 Prime for the same reason (him and Thunderwing would have ROCKED as Voyagers ~ and with as much repaint potential + movie carryover stylings as G2 Prime has, i'm really kind of surprised they didn't go that route)