MMC Sphinx - Mirage

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    Yup, perfectly illustrates the clear difference right down to the thighs and forearms being almost identical on Classics Mirage and DX9 Invisible. And of course the odd head sculpts.

2. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they darken up that blue and do something with the parts that probably ought to be chrome I might be interested. (I can see where chrome or paint could be a disaster with the retracting spoiler wings on the front of the car- but the current solution looks like ass- especially with the motor)

It would also help if they used real slogans, but I understand that won't happen and I can probably live with it.

If there are no major changes I'm probably content with this guy. (It's amazing how much the alternate transformation and Kreo head help)

P.S. The head paint looks better in person. The camera brings out details (and mistakes) you just don't see.

Attached Files:

3. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to mention... Sideswipe had chrome piledrivers and prowl and Bluestreak had chrome shoulder missles.

4. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    What Masterpiece line are you looking at?

The chrome is always an accent. Hardly "all over".

I don't mind some small accents, but chrome is gaudy when over used. G1 did it because it made a cheap toy look premium just like the stickers made simplistic sculpting look more detailed.

MMC could do the rocket or the engine but that's it. I don't want the rear spoiler/feet chromed. Leave the gun silver.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  5. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

All of what you mentioned as far as i know, were not standard issue, they were exclusive accessories. I have those figures as reissues, and none came with chrome anything.

And, also as far as i know, if i remember right, the Datsuns didnt come with two shoulder missiles.

But none of the new Licensed car bots have chrome outside of Ironhide and exclusive accesories as of yet. And post MP-10, only Prime and Magnus have the most, Prime more than Magnus because of the red bumper. Soundwave has a button panel, slide switch, volume knob and eject button...hardly all over.

The cars don't even have chrome rims or even rubber tires, yet magically somehow they seem to still fit with MP-10 and Magnus...

6. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    Fair point. But a lot of us love the chrome and love how it calls back to the originals. So quite a few of us have gone out of our way to get the stuff.

I was sure I'd be happier with Sphinx being chromed out until I realized the problems that would cause with the front wing (which is supposed to be chromed on the real vehicle and very well may be when takara gets to it)- it's too bad- over all MMC's version is better designed, but between the chrome, the dark plastic looking less toyish and the (under detailed) correct deco I think I like invisible better despite being the inferior design.

I'm also less fond of the toon interpretations of the toys, and Mirage's blob potato head is a prime example of that at it's worst. (IMHO)

But, despite my trash talk I might get Sphinx. Despite some little things (like him looking very plasticy and toyish)- they got a lot of things very right with him. He is impressive.

7. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

Blob potato head? I don't know, i see nothing like that myself.

Lack of chrome to me isn't worth buying the inferior figure, but that's just me i guess. But the head...i see nothing wrong with the head. I can live without the chrome, not having it despite not being accurate to the real car, isnt a deal breaker...this one just has too much right for me to pick the other one just because this one lacks chrome.

Imean, in no way am i saying abandon your preference, and i can see what you're saying, but, it just doesn't bother me enough to say screw it...I'm buying invisible...Chrome or not, i don't like that one at all.

8. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    I'm being over dramatic. Potato head is unfair, but when I look at the animation his head does seem to lose definition sometimes. (the still being compared here isn't too bad)

For what ever reason it seems like the majority of fans on here really like the way the toon characters looked and want their toys to look as close as possible. That's just the reality of it.

I can see that the toon designs were simplified (sometimes horribly) in the name of doing the animation more affordably. They probably couldn't have done it at all if they'd maintained the ideal amount of detail.

I like detail in my toys, so the trend of making them as much like the simplified (often ugly) toon versions drives me nuts.

I wasn't a big fan of invisible (and assumed if I got anything it would be Sphinx- although most of MMC's post HOS toy finishing choices made me suspect I wouldn't get Mirage at all- they tend to use lots of candy colored plastic and very little paint)- but then about a month ago I stumbled across a picture of Invisible where they'd left the front fins out and replaced that horrible stock head with a Kreo Mirage head. I couldn't believe what a difference it made and I got one. He looks great with my MP cars. The dark blue really helps hide some of the toy's imperfections and lack of paint.

The color of plastic Sphinx currently has is not doing him any favors. Despite having one of MMC's best finishes, it still looks like a toy.

But MMC's definitely has the better design. If I didn't already have Invisible I probably wouldn't consider him at this point. But I do have him and presently I really, really, really like him.

9. Paik4Life

Paik4Life Reviews

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  10. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    car mode is awesome, brings me right back to 1984

11. NotTheFace

NotTheFace Lightning Strike

Looks really good! Any chance of some toy love with a toy accurate face? I know it's a long shot, but I can always hope.

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    neat review! he does some really cool stuff in his transformation. love how sleek and solid he is in bot mode. I went from being kinda iffy on this guy to a must buy. cant wait to have him!

13. DoctorsTARDIS

DoctorsTARDIS Type 40 T.A.R.D.I.S.

News Credits:
    Yeah, great review, it totally clinched it for me. I really want this guy.

14. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    Car mode in the review pretty much had me sold. It's even nicer than I realized (especially with parts I assumed were plastic being diecast).

Then we got to bot mode and I was right back to where I've been.

It's close, but not sure if it's close enough...

We'll see. With the right improvements this will become a buy. Not sure if it is now or not.

Great Review!!!

15. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    You've totally changed my opinion. Looks far better in your video than any of the pics. That alt mode is stunning.

16. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dammit, Paik, you've changed my opinion too and just cost me £65!

17. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    Paik they should have you on commission as while I'm still not sold on that too soft Bot mode the Alt is too gorgeous to pass up. Totally '84 toy.

So one of each it is for the shelf now. Wonder if they will do a Red Diaclone version?

18. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thanks for the review!

Overall I'm impressed; very detailed car mode, some nice engineering and an extremely toon accurate bot mode. Not keen on the horrible Citanes font, or 'Goofyear', and I'd have liked to see chrome on the engine/spoiler... Also, the feet being just the spoiler looks a bit goofy, it would have been great to see some extra transformation there (maybe flipped so the underside is on top or something), but apart from those nitpicks I think I'm sold.

Wait, he'll come with a parachute?! Ok I definitely am sold! :lol 

19. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

20. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Excellent review, cheers for that. I was sold as soon as it was first shown, but this has just made it even better.