MMC Ocular Max Kojin (Not-Artfire)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scaleface, Jul 16, 2016.

1. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Crowdfunding now open for PS-08 Kojin

• Like Like x 1
  2. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  3. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Retro Active TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, guess they're not getting the margins out of the Ocular Max line necessary to make the lesser repaints financially viable without upfront capital. Interesting.

Btw, is that Vangelus doing the voiceover? Voice reminds me of his.

The product looks good. Not something I want for my collection, but I have their Inferno and like it quite a lot. Some additional paint apps on the little guy would be cool to help him look less like a gray blob. Good luck with the funding drive. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. unexistance

unexistance MP Gen-0 Collecting Officer

5. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

Nope. No interest in finding anything MP or OX related.

This mold looks pretty decent but surprisingly I am quite content with Takaras version(s).

Now if they were to announce Crowd Funding for some lesser popular IDW characters, I'd be completely down for that MMC!

6. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was wondering about something along those lines. This mold does have its plusses...good amount of die cast, spike can fit inside the cab, rubber tires, decent heft, chrome grille, chrome roof horns, transparent plastic headlights, muzzle cannon on each arm. I decided to grab Backdraft but the tabbing issues in the rear of the alt mode put a damper on things. Plus the single derpy facial expression was just...meh. So I had to double character dip and grab Takara's MP Inferno. Next I got word of some issues on OM's Girder so I passed on that in favor of Takra's MP Grapple. I'm not sure if I want an MP Artfire at this point but if I change my mind it will likely be in favor of Takara's yet again. Seeing as how about 70% of my MP collection is 3P, that says something. Not to mention wasn't to thrilled about some of the bait & switch tactics OM employed (or allowed retailers to employ) like including certain accessories or lower pricing on products ONLY IF you placed an order during the preorder phase.

• Like Like x 1
  7. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Retro Active TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not to get too far off track but fwiw I went with MP-35 Grapple and I'm a little disappointed at how short he feels when stood next to MP-10 OP and MP-27 Ironhide, though a good portion of that is Ironhide's fault. But Grapple's legs just feel a bit too short or something like they should have a pull-to-extend feature somewhere that I missed during transformation. MMC's Inferno feels more naturally proportioned and I like the extra detail compared to the official Takara MP Inferno. That said, I could have done with regular paint instead of chrome :) 

8. xenogears

xenogears Active Member

Show a pic of the back of the alt mode properly tabbed in and I'll contribute.

9. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok Well-Known Member

This is an interesting idea. Crowdfunding the production of a character gives you an immediate feel for how well it will sell, and if you don't make the target amount, you don't potentially end up with a bunch of stock no one wants. On the other hand, then you've put effort into designing a figure (or a retool/repaint, as it were) and you don't really recuperate that time/cost. But that's better than spending a bunch of money to produce figures and not have anyone buy them.

I actually think crowdfunding could fit the 3P market pretty well, although I guess we'll see how this one goes.

I don't have any 3P MP figures yet and I'm trying to avoid going down that rabbit hole, but I'm really, really tempted by this.

10. o1dpain1ess

o1dpain1ess Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In this case I think it's a smart approach considering it's a relatively obscure character that Takara has already shown an official of.

• Like Like x 3
  11. DrCalligari

DrCalligari Well-Known Member

A) I really dig this idea and would love to support it however...

B) I already have the Takara Inferno and Grapple and will most likely go that route for Artfire if I decide to get him.

C) But, if this is done for repaints like say, Shattered Glass version of Sphinx I would be all over that.

12. greatcthulu

greatcthulu Well-Known Member

Gotta say this makes no sense to me. They don't think they could lock in 200 or so preorders from the usual vendors if they solicited it? I wonder if one or more of the bigger shops took a pass on it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    i am kinda tempted. Never owned the mold, but played with a sample at tfcon and didnt like the quality on the red one. Has there been improvements on the repaints after the original one?

14. Blacktimus

Blacktimus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sounds sort of like him. The video style is definitely his. I would say it's Vangelus. If not, it's Vangelus inspired.

• Like Like x 1
  15. researchicon

researchicon Well-Known Member

When did 3P companies go from filling voids to directly competing with Takara? Seems like Takara has Artfire pretty well buttoned up???

16. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's a repaint of a mold that MMC made prior to TT making their Inferno. It makes sense to milk the mold, especially when it's risk free doing it via crowd funding.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

Supported!! Lets do this!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. o1dpain1ess

o1dpain1ess Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to mention this was announced months ago prior to Takara revealing theirs, the crowd funding is the only new announcement here.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Another good point.

20. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    the voice is confirmed to be Vangelus

• Like Like x 2