MMC / Ocular Max Backdraft (Inferno)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by godotislate, Oct 17, 2015.

1. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are YouTube tuturial vids for the replacement parts on this thread. Peaugh and Paik4Life did them. Peaugh vid covers both parts.

2. Marto6

Marto6 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thanks for the heads up guys.. Will diffidently look at a video first.

3. code3collector

code3collector Well-Known Member

Let us know how it goes. I watched the videos a couple of times before I attempted and the shoulders were simply miserable. However, I really like this figure QC issues aside. I like the design, I like the color, I like the heft, I love the goofy face sculpt...I'm glad I have it. I'm also fine with having a duplicate character in my collection. As a matter of fact, I got the MP Inferno figure first, which I think is pretty great and then I got this guy too :) 

4. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    fwiw, I have the replacement parts and haven't seen a need to install them. But my Inferno stays in bot mode, fighting alongside his Season one and two companions. If and when I change his stance or pose, I can easily move the groin piece back into place if it comes untabbed. And the shoulders I think are only an issue in vehicle mode?

5. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's another one...

Ebay Flash Sale!
    Save $15 on Purchases
    of $75 or More.
    Ends today at 8PM PT/11PM Eastern.
    Use Coupon code CJANUARY15OFF

Flash Sale! Save $15 on $75 or More.

How to redeem your Coupon:
    Shop for eligible items. (See below for exclusions.)
    Pay for your item with PayPal by 8PM Pacific Time on January 26, 2017
    Enter the Coupon code in the redemption code field: CJANUARY15OFF
    Questions? Visit our step-by-step guide.

Terms & Conditions:
    The Coupon is for a $15 discount off a minimum purchase of $75, valid until 8:00 PM PT on January 26, 2017. Discount applies to the purchase price (excluding shipping, handling, and taxes) of eligible items on eBay.com. Eligible items exclude Coins & Paper Money, Gift Cards & Coupons, and Real Estate. Coupon can be used once per PayPal account within a single transaction (or cart), while supplies last. Only eBay members paying with a PayPal account registered with an address located in the United States or Canada can receive the discount.

Coupon is subject to U.S. laws, void where prohibited, not redeemable for cash, has no face value, and cannot be combined with any other Coupon or used when paying with an eBay Gift Card. eBay may cancel, amend, or revoke the Coupon at any time. Use of automated devices or programs for Coupon redemption prohibited.

6. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  7. Strike Creamsicle

Strike Creamsicle Likes the G2 neon lights TFW2005 Supporter

So if I buy one new, how can I tell if it has the replacement parts already installed? Or do I just have to ask whatever seller / store beforehand?

8. Vex

Vex The Labyrinth King

So i made a mistake.

Back when the "Inferno Wars" began i was really torn on which figure i would pick up. Back then i still bore Takaras banner somewhat high and proud, but at the same time i loved OC Mirage. The early photos of Backdraft looked really good, but i didn't let that sway my Takara heart. I put in an early preorder on TT Inferno and stopped looking at Backdraft. Out of sight, out of mind.
    Well that was a good while ago. When i got Inferno in my hand i was, torn. I felt put off by the feel and look of the figure, just like Ironhide, Ratchet and Laserwave before him. And the lack of detail was really clashing with the rest of my collection. But i transformed him a few times, and he grew a bit on me. Really smart transformation, one of Takaras strengths. And his joints are amazing, super easy to pose. Put him in the display cabinet and it felt...just "ok". Not that feeling of accomplishment you want from a MP Transformers. But i had rolled the dice and i figured i'd live with the result.
    As the weeks went by i started to dislike Inferno more and more, but i could not figure out the exact reason. I made him my deskbot for a few days and finally it dawned on me, the reason i can't appreciate this figure. It's the chest, the way it's formed. It's broad at the bottom and it gets way thinner further up. That combined with his long ass legs and those disgusting thighs just makes him look really strange. I went online and started to look at the Backdraft pictures and i had to admit to myself that i made a mistake. Again. It's the FT Quakewave/TT Laserwave situation all over again.

But i really dislike double dipping, as my economy is stretched thin as it is. But i could justify a Girder purchase, as i hadn't put in a TT Grapple preorder yet. This was maybe 3-4 weeks ago. Got Girder in the mail and i was blown away, in many ways a perfect figure.
    I was stunned, really impressed with this mold. Felt Girder was a great improvement over TT Inferno. So i caved in and got Backdraft, and i'm so happy i did. Inferno has always been an upper tier character to me, always wanted the toy back when i was a kid in the 80's.
    Got him a week ago and i love him too, he looks stunning in my collection. That is the perfect red color for him, really makes him pop.
    But sadly there are issues with him that are not present on Girder, well three issues to be more exact.
    First the crotch piece not tabbing in, thats been discussed to death. So i wont dwell on that.
    Secondly the joints. Pretty much all joints are looser on Backdraft compared to Girder. It's not super bad, except for the ratchets in the thighs. They are among the weakest ratchets i've seen.
    And last, the compartment above his head in bot mode. I can't for the life of me get that to close all the way. It bothers me a bit, but guess i will have to live with it.
    It's a bit shame these minor problems plague the figure, but it's still a super nice piece. Worth every penny in my book.

I have corrected my mistake.

• Like Like x 3
  9. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    Inferno was the one official MP I consciously refused to buy in favor of a 3P version.

I did go TT for Grapple though.

10. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Odd hearing about the joints, all of mine were and are still rock solid and replacement crotch comes with a replacement hip assembly so after tightening the screws the hips became the tightest best joints on the figure for me.

Not sure what you mean about the head compartment, sure ya transformed it correctly? ladder has to sit a certain way n all that.

Incidentally if anyone needs help getting the alt mode perfectly tabbed together and free of gaps entirely I now have a video up on my channel showing the process of achieving this.

• Like Like x 2
  11. solskjaer

solskjaer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool, can you post link here? It will be very helpful. Thank you.

12. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Sure thing here ya go

13. Vex

Vex The Labyrinth King

The joints in the arms are good, its the lower part that is giving away. He can stand no problem, but the more dynamic poses are a problem. Wierd, they're great on Girder. Gonna try and tighten the screws and see what happens.

Sorry, not sure what to call it. But this is the part that wont tab together.

[​IMG]

I spent over an hour last night trying to get this to tab in, and i tried again this morning. To no avail. I've watched so many videos but i cant for the life of me get it to work. It looks so easy in the videos, slide the panels down and press them together. Yet i fail. ,
    Again, no problem on Girder. But i wont let this spoil my day, he's still an awesome figure. :) 

14. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Check to see that the ladder armature is pressed down and is perpendicular to the rest of the area; sometimes if the chrome base is sticking back too much this won't bulge. Moreover, try to do all that before you snap it on the cab to complete the transformation.

Hope this can be of help.

15. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

[​IMG]

If only the first post were up to day... :) 

• Like Like x 1
  16. bad andy

bad andy Well-Known Member

So I was messing around with Backdraft a bit last night. Those heavy ass diets feet sure allow for some sweet leaning poses...

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender_1.jpg FullSizeRender_2.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  17. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got my Backdraft today and along with it came a separate bag of replacement parts. Is there some kind of defect I should know about? Is it recommended I use these parts? I haven't checked what they are for. Kind of feeling lazy on that part, lolz.

18. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I honestly didn't feel the need to use them since I display in robot mode and I believe they are primarily for a better fitment in alt mode.

19. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The only parts I know of are the shoulder and waist/crotch parts, both of which were specifically for improving the robot mode as the alt mode needed no fixes.

20. SHADDO

SHADDO Arashikage Decepticon

Originally, my plan was to get the MP Inferno to replace my Classics voyager class Inferno, even though I'm not a big MP collector at all...just mainly because I wanted a bigger firetruck and a less bulky looking robot than the voyager Inferno.

Then I saw the 3 third party options and, yet I I thought I would wait until the MP released and make my decision between the 4 options...unfortunately, the MP finally released...horribly BLAND by all accounts, as is the X-Transbots version, so no dice on either of those whatsoever! MT and MMC are both always offering great stuff, and these figures are right there on all counts, which makes for a tough decision.

Ultimately, I think I'm leaning towards the MMC Backdraft here more than MT, but I still have some research to do before I fully decide.

Any pros or cons I should be aware of from either of those two figures as I decide? Anything that puts one over on the other, in terms of significance?