MMC/OcMax Backdraft vs Takara MP-33 Inferno - Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by edgecrusher, Jan 3, 2017.

?

Better Inferno for MP shelf?

1. Takara MP-33

46.8%
  2. MMC Backdraft

48.9%
  3. Other option (specified in comment)

4.3%
  1. Havocmech

Havocmech Well-Known Member

I definitely have to go with MMC Backdraft. The level of detail and the transformation beat out MP 33. The only part of the design of MP 33 that beats Backdraft (in my opinion) is how the ladder is completely hidden in robot mode- definitely an awesome feature. However, when you pair the pros of Backdraft with the price (at least a third less than MP 33, and I got mine at a BBTS sale for $70) then Backdraft is my choice.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TheGrognard

TheGrognard Well-Known Member

I don't like how the ladder doesn't rotate on Takara. Kinda a problem for me. Like a non-rotating tank turret.

• Like Like x 2
  3. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    I dont have either. I have played a bit with each, but at different time / conventions. The Takara and Maketoys ones seemed excellent to pose and just mess around.

I feel this is the 1 Mp figure i really missed out, as i hear quality is fantastic, and he looks good too to me, at least he does in person (i admit, not the best looking of the 3 in pics, but in person i liked his looks). Sux, cause i dont think i have the budget anymore, saving my remaining money to get Bruticus and Arcee for now, but if i had extra and their was a re-release at the asian etailers, MP Inferno is the one i feel i would enjoy playing around with.

• Like Like x 1
  4. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

MP-33 is the most fun I had transforming a figure, ever. Every time I do, I just wonder what type of drugs the designer was on in order to come up with such transformation.

I also lean towards official releases more (and absolutely LOVE the cartoon accuracy TT is now going for), so MP-33 wins for me.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I don't have Backdraft but I have a version of the mold with their Hauler. MP-33 is much better, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Transformations are really where TT shines. People can debate looks and materials all day long as there are valid points on both sides, but few 3P MP figures rival TT's engineering IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  7. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

I'm so glad there are Sunbow-centric designs out there for the people who want it.

Personally, I'm not one of those folks. I prefer figures that remind me of the Diaclone aesthetic (with lots of chrome and greebles), which is why I've chosen MMC Backdraft.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP-33 for Inferno since I'm a toon guy. Fun transformation, too.

If you're a toy appearance guy or just want more details, Backdraft is good too.

I bought the Kojin mold for Artfire since he looks closer to the "source" which was the toy and 2 panels of manga. ;) 

Kojin/Backdraft mold is nice and no regrets, but I like the TT mold much better.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aaronstampler

Aaronstampler Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    it does help, thank you very much.

10. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

I have Backdraft and TT's Grapple. I like them both a lot and they're kind of different - TT is more show accurate and MMC is more evocative of the toy, as many have said, also TT's is lighter and more glossy plastic whereas MMC's is heavier with some die cast and chrome.

My biggest gripe would be the head on Backdraft - it requires a screw to remove unlike TT's which is a simple slip-off helmet and pegged faceplate. I've managed to strip the screw on the replacement face despite being careful...

Anyway, as much as I like Backdraft I think I might have to give the edge to TT. It's simpler but there's something very cool about it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ...patiently waiting for XTB Dante...
    upload_2017-8-18_15-58-56.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  12. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

LOL, gonna be a long wait. I get the feeling all the other Inferno releases have led to Dante being put on the back burner...

13. Havocmech

Havocmech Well-Known Member

BBTS has had him in stock for a while at $79.99, so check there once your wallet has had time to recover.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    I have the MMC and Maketoys Infernos as well as T/T Grapple. I used MMC Backdraft for my MP display and passed on the official... that should tell you about my preferences. :) 

I actually love my T/T Grapple and I'm sure the official Inferno has an equally awesome and fun transformation but that robot mode is just TOO undetailed for me (Grapple has a few added details which gets him from "ridiculous" to "just enough") and they completely abandoned any attempt to make a realistic looking fire truck. In other words, I love the official Grapple MORE than Inferno. I think official Grapple is better than any of the 3p offerings, but NOT official Inferno.

MMC has the more detailed look I want, plus he looks taller and more athletic than T/T Grapple so it differentiates them a bit more. And even though it's not a realistic MODEL of fire truck, it looks more like it could BE an actual fire truck than either of the other versions.

Maketoys' version has pleasing heft and some cool visual cues but is a bit too stylized in robot mode for my liking and a bit too toyetic in vehicle mode. Plus I REALLY dislike the clear cab windows in robot mode. (If anybody wants it, I'm willing to sell it... it comes with box, instruction and all accessories). I prefer both MMC's and official to MT's.

Zfarsh, if you're not opposed to buying MP KOs, Inferno should be released soon.

15. greatcthulu

greatcthulu Well-Known Member

Right there with you.
    I have both MP inferno and Backdraft but really want Dante since he bridges the best of both worlds in my eyes.

16. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just want a fire truck that looks like a fire truck, a ladder that can reach further then the length of the cab, a bot that doesn't look ridiculous carrying Red Alert, and something with some nice paint, chrome and detailing on it. Dante ticks all those boxes. By scale chart he's too big I think, but Inferno is a character I want to be tall.
    MMC does a decent enough job as well but they haven't wowed me with the build, design and QC on recent MP releases. Their IDW stuff is the bees knees but MP seems to be a losing battle for them.
    Takara is nice and does a pretty good job in Bot mode but that alt mode is unforgiveable to me. I've been tempted a few times, especially by the KO, but not enough to betray my Dante patience.
    If XTB announces that's Dante is cancelled, I'll probably just get the Takara KO as a consolation prize and move on.

• Like Like x 2
  17. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

I chose Takara because of the clever transformation and that silly clear cradle. I like to change up my display so that not everyone is in a museum pose, so I welcome any sort of memorable re-enactment of things from the cartoon. Having Inferno hold Red Alert in his arms is how I prefer to display the two in my collection.

18. King Nergil

King Nergil Humanoid anchovy

After owning MT Hellfire I considered replacing him with Backdraft for a brief time, but in the end I bought the official Inferno. I'm still happy with that decision because I mostly want the toon look for my bots. MP 33 has a clever transformation and gives you many options with the switchable parts. He's lots of fun. I remember criticizing the Backdraft design harshly, especially for the hips. (Sorry again for that, jesslyn!) Now that some time has passed I think I understand a bit better what Backdraft wanted to achieve. If I had been looking for a toy homage I would be very happy with him now. He does his job pretty well I think!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  19. Soundwavesurfer

Soundwavesurfer Well-Known Member

I just got Backdraft. And I think he is pretty sweet. 20180111_134130.jpg
    Especially how you can kind of give him Minotaur legs. 20180111_133823.jpg
    Or tippy toes.
    20180111_131525.jpg
    I love the firetruck mode too. But the scale is killing me. Is MP Infernos cab a lot bigger? I mean, it looks longer. But is it wider and higher too. I guess if the windscreen was at least the same size as Ratchet/Ironhides, it would look more in scale.
    Maaaan! I'm stuck!

20. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

Official.

It hides the ladder and that sort of cleverness is always worth bonus points with me.

Also I never had or even saw his toy as a kid, so my impression of him is entirely toon based.