MMC/OcMax Backdraft vs Takara MP-33 Inferno - Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by edgecrusher, Jan 3, 2017.

?

Better Inferno for MP shelf?

1. Takara MP-33

46.8%
  2. MMC Backdraft

48.9%
  3. Other option (specified in comment)

4.3%
  1. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Where? I've been trying to figure out where it's getting hung up but I'm not seeing it. I thought it was on the upper part (toward the elbow), but I'm still missing it.

2. Big Bronze Rim

Big Bronze Rim Veteran

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Thanks!

4. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    Such minor things, like the subtle panel lines in the lower legs, but they make SUCH a big difference... I'd consider buying the second picture... IF it weren't like 50% more expensive than MMCs!

I have Backdraft and Hellfire. MMC wins easily in both modes; it looks more like a realistic fire truck and less like an upscaled G1 toy (the official looks more like a TOY in vehicle mode than the actual G1 figure!), and the robot mode isn't even close. Just the fact that Hellfire's back is incredibly open (like the G1 figure) turned me off. The details on the outside of his lower legs is wrong (no hose or pylons), it's TOO squat, and I hate the face. The transformation was very intuitive and fun though and its "hand feel" is great; it's VERY heavy.

I'm a 'displayer' kind of guy. I have too many TFs and too little time to be into transforming them all the time. So I will always go with the figure that looks the best displayed on a shelf.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jeriboy54

Jeriboy54 Well-Known Member

Same here and on his shoulder. Pretty frustrating

6. Insectabot

Insectabot Well-Known Member

Obviously in the third party threads we will get a better 3rd party showing, I don't own Takara, but mmc all the way. The new Takara toon versions just look like
    Complete shit to me. Ever since laserwave.

• Like Like x 2
  7. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up going with Backdraft and am enjoying the figure quite a lot. The transformation was painless and intuitive (followed @Paik4Life 's video). The botmode look is what I was hoping for in an MP Inferno! :) 

• Like Like x 3
  8. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    Wish I had seen this thread earlier... I wrote a bit about my choice on my blog. Put simply, Hellfire was fine but probably my least favourite of the bunch. Backdraft was a fine Inferno before MP Inferno was released. It's still a good figure but for me, doesn't really fit my vision of what I want my MP collection to be.

Anyway, link and some pics.

Robotochan Reviews Robots: Stunt Doubles - Part One

[​IMG]
    Backdraft, Inferno and Hellfire

[​IMG]
    Masterpiece Inferno

For me, this...

[​IMG]
    Ocular Max Backdraft

Is not as good as this...

[​IMG]
    Masterpiece Inferno

Plus I have grown to hate Backdrafts transformation. I also don't like the third party heads that seem to be compromised compared to the MP version.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I gotta go MMC here. The Takara one is growing on me but I feel like he kinda sticks out a bit in the masterpiece collection so far. MP's have kinda had that 60/40 split between realistic alt mode/detail and cartoon silhouette/headsculpt but inferno completely throws that out the window in favor of as much cartoon as possible and he kinda looks odd to me next to my other MPs. Ironhide kinda skirts the line the most, too. He's got that realistic alt mode that somehow magically morphs into a smooth geewunny ironhide. It's quite impressive. But Inferno, however, the only thing accurate to the licensed alt mode is JUST the front cab leaving the rest a big, smooth, red block of vague likeness all for the benefit of the cartoon aesthetic in robot mode.

Backdraft, IMO, keeps more in line with that split we're more used to with the mp line. A good silhouette, the option for a very respectable cartoon headsculpt and the same amount of detail as the rest of the releases thus far (im lookin at Prime, the Datsun trio, swipe, and tracks here). I like him the best for my shelf.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  10. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

Who has the longest ladder?

11. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

Hellfire does by a long shot, however the off side of that is it hangs down his back a long ways in robot mode. I think MMC's is next and Takara is the shortest due to it having to fold inside his cab in bot mode. If I recall right, Takara doesn't extend past the cab like in the picture above. That's as good as it gets.

12. edgecrusher

News Credits:
    Beautiful photos!

13. edgecrusher

News Credits:
    Got some hands-on time with MP-33 today.
    As nice as it is, it reinforced that Backdraft is the Inferno for me.
    MP-33 is much lighter in hand, the less-detailed design is not as appealing as the more toy-accurate Backdraft details, and the hip and thigh joint engineering restricts it from some dynamic leg poses I would like to try.
    That said, MP-33 is a pretty awesome figure and I like that the lack of diecast in the legs allows it to sit on a ledge without toppling forward. I also like that the head box can rotate so he's not just staring at the side of his head box when he turns his head, but can actually see things to his left and right. :) 

[​IMG]
    "I carried Red Alert, now won't someone carry me?"

Looking forward to MP-35 Grapple though I do hope they at least give him some toe bumper details.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    Thanks... I don't tend to post them in the third party section much but do put them in the toy section in the super clear thread.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Insectabot

Insectabot Well-Known Member

Anyone doing a non-smiling face for backdraft with the toon head? That smile is killing me. But I like the rounded helmet better that the toy vs.

16. Aaronstampler

Aaronstampler Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've seen some people mention the QC issues with Backdraft. Can anyone help me out with specifically what they are, how common it is, how easy it is (or not) to fix, etc.? Also, are there QC issues with Hellfire too or is that more in line with TT quality? Thanks in advance.

17. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MMC Backdraft all the way. I have both Backdraft and MP Inferno. Backdraft feels so much better to me and has the right look I am looking for. Both of their alt modes are "meh" to me, but that is subjective. No hate, I don't mind their alt mode looks at all.

Here's how I see them stacking up:

MP-33 Inferno:
    +Accessories = Gimmicky to the point of silliness.
    +Overall good design for a Takara MP = Not a bad design.
    -Plain toon look = Plain toon look, but a bit TOO plain.
    -Price - Costs more than Backdraft.
    -Have to apply FD stickers, not done as tampo'd paint apps = Stickers are not even necessary.

MMC Backdraft:
    +Better proportions = YES!
    +Very good G1 toy aesthetic/design = YES!
    +Posability/articulation = YES! But Inferno is pretty posable, too.
    +Price = Yup, costs less and more die cast and heft.
    -QC fixes (not required but still a negative) =Parts are included and easy to do. There is a YouTUbe tutorial on this, too. Waist not a big deal, tho.
    -No hose or waterspray accessories = Meh. I don't think you'll miss it.
    -Have to apply FD stickers, not done as tampo'd paint apps = Subjective, but okay.

BOTH arms have the nozzle/fist option on Backdraft. Inferno does not have this. Inferno has QC issues with his arm gap where the door doesn't close all the way.

If you want more detail, go for Backdraft. If you want more cartoon or cartoon/toy hybrid, go for Inferno. Just my 0.02 cents. :) 

18. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

Hellfire never had any QC issues with him that I know of. You either like how he looks or you don't. MMC's had problems with things like missing parts, shoulders that separated and things that wouldn't tab in right. Some people got two left hands, missing trim, stuff like that. They did issue parts to vendors to fix most of this stuff so usually now if you order one, you get a baggie of parts to go with it. Just look it over good to be sure all his bits are in the right places and what not when you get one. TT's is fine but the paint is a little heavy so it can chip. He had a problem with his arm compartment closing up well but it was a pretty easy fix (see above).

Hope that helps!

19. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Exactly this, could not agree more. I think MMC is a masterpiece in my eyes but Takara have now gone down different masterpiece route. I prefer Backdraft, I actually think he's one of the finer 3rd party figures available, both modes are on point, articulation is awesome and he has a great premium figure look.

Takara is certainly more accurate to the toon and is a very clever transformation and that's typically where Takara wins, their transformations are always intuitive and not paint by numbers.

The fact Backdraft has a detailed interior is brilliant though, thats how I wish all masterpieces were.

Neither is better than the other though, both great toys just dont put them against each other, they are two seperate lines. Cartoon representation / Transforming detailed model/

• Like Like x 1
  20. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

Very happy with my Hellfire.
    Not saying it's better of course, just saying I like it better.