MMC/OcMax Backdraft vs Takara MP-33 Inferno - Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by edgecrusher, Jan 3, 2017.

?

Better Inferno for MP shelf?

1. Takara MP-33

46.8%
  2. MMC Backdraft

48.9%
  3. Other option (specified in comment)

4.3%
  1. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looking to get an MP-scale Inferno to display in botmode and watched several video reviews but most were done before MP-33 arrived. Not sure which way to go given the options available today. The overly plain toon aesthetic of MP-33 is a bit of a turn-off since it doesn't match the earlier pre-MP27 MPs (one reason I've skipped Ironhide as well) but it does have a better accessory set and is apparently pretty decent overall for a Takara release. The price is a bit high though compared to Backdraft.

Which would you recommend and why?

Here's how I see them stacking up:

MP-33 Inferno:
    +Accessories
    +Overall good design for a Takara MP
    -Plain toon look
    -Price
    -Have to apply FD stickers, not done as tampo'd paint apps

MMC Backdraft:
    +Better proportions
    +Very good G1 toy aesthetic/design
    +Posability/articulation
    +Price
    -QC fixes (not required but still a negative)
    -No hose or waterspray accessories
    -Have to apply FD stickers, not done as tampo'd paint apps

2. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

In my mind they are two totally different figures. Takara vs any of the 3rd parties for Inferno will give you two answers, either I want toon accuracy or I want a modern masterpiece (please dont take that as a knock on toon accuracy)

Backdraft reminds me more of a alternator/BT than modern Takara masterpieces. He has a modeled interior, rubber wheels, chrome etc. It's designed to look like a real vehicle. Takara designed Inferno to look like the cartoon. They achieve two absolutely different looks. One is not better than the other. I have both and could not pick which I would prefer to keep if I had to. I think I prefer MMC solely because I love the feeling of little details like steering wheels and interior dashboard etc. I don't think it's "better" as much the design is just more to my taste

MMC vs XTB etc is probably a better comparison as they are both trying to achieve a similar look

• Like Like x 5
  3. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter

Whichever you prefer!
    Sorry, that's a cop out answer I know.

I have both of them and they do different things for me, so I'd say what you like to do with your bots will make the decision for you.
    If he's going to sit on a shelf backdraft edges it for me. If you want to mess with them and transform them often MP33 is a lot more fun. Both work well.
    Backdraft
    +I think looks better on the shelf, he's much more visually engaging.
    +Proportion wise he also wins out as I really like the heroic take on this.
    +Alt mode is really nice if you apply the fix to the foot tabs, which lets him tab together correctly.
    +Wins out on value for money.
    -Possibly has too much diecast, I'm leaning away form that as its added weight only and I;m seeing it as a hindrance rather than a benefit excrete where its needed.
    -Needs the fixes to reach full potential.
    -Tabbing issues mean the transformation is not as fin as it should be.

MP33
    +Feels really nice in hand.
    +Transformation is really fun, and the way the ladder collapses is cool.
    +Matches the current MP style of course
    +Proportions match the toon, so work fine
    +Accessories are nice, though I don't really use them.
    -Super plain
    -Alt mode is a red brick as a result of the above.
    -Expensive for what he is

Edit, I did have a load of pics but I think they got deleted, if you'd like them I can re_upload them and post them.

• Like Like x 3
  4. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It will be posed and placed on a shelf for the most part.

Thanks, appreciate the perspective. In the reviews I've seen that place MP-33 side by side with the MakeToys and MMC Infernos, the Takara and MMC ones look very similar, while MakeToys looks totally different. I guess I'd have to see Takara and MMC side by side in person to really appreciate the differences that are as great as you say.

5. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter

Here you go, last pic is blurry sorry and the backdraft face is my silver painted one.
    I'd not recommend MT's tbh, I have the grapple and its very squat and stocky and I don't think it suits inferno at all.

If you'd like any other pics let me know and I'll see if I can knock them up for you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  6. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    I don't have either but I prefer Backdraft. The cartoon look of the official Inferno makes it look like a vinyl figure to me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    The original TF toys didn't necessarily have interiors but they were still realistic cars and trucks (with the exception of the Choro Q/penny racer minibots). The Sunbow animation models fixed the weird proportions of the toys' robot modes and generally gave them more life, but they were also simplified (especially the season 2 characters). The MP cars (Sideswipe/Red Alert, Prowl/Bluestreak, Wheeljack, Tracks) did a good job of striking a balance with detailed, licensed alt modes while trying to get the proportions and "life" of the robots. I think, QC aside, that Backdraft does that the best for Inferno (unless XTB winds up doing it better).

TT Inferno reflects TT's new push for the MP line- Sunbow-accuracy at the expense of all else. Maybe that's what some people want, but I personally feel like the lazily-simplified animation models look out of place with the MP cars and the large, flat swaths of uniformly-colored surfaces do little to justify the absurd asking prices of recent figures. And that's before I get into the alt mode, which looks like a fire engine's cab with super obvious folded-up robot limbs on the back and nary a tailight in sight.

So what if he had more accessories? Are you really going to display him carrying Red Alert or blowing his load? Unless that molded semen means that much to you, get Backdraft.

• Like Like x 3
  8. robh

robh Decepticon

i like both, but i prefer backdraft. The official one is just a bit too plain for my tastes. However, I love grapple, so I'll be buying the official grapple. Just enough changes to not make it so boring.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you use the toy/real world chest (like the above pictures) it actually looks pretty good from the waist up. I really like the proportions of the MP but wish a few details were added (black raised bits on the shoulders, and some waist detail).

That said, displayed behind someone you mostly just see the top part which I love!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  10. TRANZ4MR

TRANZ4MR General Thud

News Credits:
    I went with Backdraft, for to me, he is the perfect combination of the toon AND the toy.
    As a side note, I also went with MT Wrestle… they look close enough to know they are similar, but different enough to not
    look like a carbon copy. Good luck in the decision!

• Like Like x 3
  11. StriderHiryu

StriderHiryu Well-Known Member

I never intended to have an Inferno in my collection, but when $70 sales for Backdraft started, I couldn't resist. The value that you get is unquestionable due to the amount of detail they put into him. People like to talk about the ladder transformation on the MP (it is cool), but the way Backdraft hides the arms in alt mode actually means more to me. I do like the look of the MP in robot mode, but overall I think Backdraft has more of a total package. Better alt mode, good bot mode, more detail in total.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tontus314

Tontus314 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm waiting patiently on XTB for my Inferno.

• Like Like x 1
  13. greatcthulu

greatcthulu Well-Known Member

It's a draw I think. Both have their pros and cons but neither comes out clearly on top.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I started as a toy collector, so toy accuracy is always more important to me...which puts TTs toon look off my radar. Backdraft looks like a perfect update of my old G1 toy so that's what I went with.

• Like Like x 4
  15. kollekxon

kollekxon Well-Known Member

I prefer Backdraft for many of the reasons that have been stated. The MP doesn't fit my collection. I'm glad that there are options.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't own TT Inferno, but I prefer Backdraft. I like the extra detailing. I think Backdraft fits the older aesthetic of the MP line (blending of toon and toy) and that is what I prefer for my MPs. I understand that some people love the newer, more cartoon centric look, which is fine by me. The designer said she was attempting to blend the two mediums together when she was creating BD:

I know TT has a clean back but the ladder on BD doesn't bother me. If anything it looks kinda cool.

17. Big Bronze Rim

Big Bronze Rim Veteran

As much as a like Backdraft, MP-33 is now the Inferno on my MP shelf. I have relegated Backdraft to a desk bot at work. The more I looked at them side by side, the more I appreciate the look of the official product. The legs could have a bit more detail, but it really isn't a deal breaker for me, especially if you have other bots in front as mentioned by Turbine. As surprised as I am to say it, I too seem to be enjoying the move towards toon accuracy. I really like the way MP-33 looks with MP-14+.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    THIS exactly for me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OverBleed

OverBleed I Love This Show!

I had the toy as a kid and the OM version has alot of toy look to it in bot mode which my TFs are displayed most the time. The transformation is fun, the back of the fire truck doesn't like to tab together so well when having the gun stored in the alt mode but I leave it out anyways. A plus is you are spending less 40 to 50 depending on where you buy it.

Im buying grapple from TT. The Inferno transformation looks to pass up the mold/design. While I'm not a big fan of the plain toon look and prefer mix of toy/toon/real alt mode look, on some bots it look good to me.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. OverBleed

OverBleed I Love This Show!

If you are not opposed to KOs of officials it could be an option. KOs are getting better, some like the tracks ko has rubber tyres and maybe others idk. Yes model seekers and coneheads are considered, by buyers, to have better tolerances and same quality paint than TT. Plus if you just want the accessories it could work I guess.